1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

YOU make the call!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pat Hurley, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Next Saturday, the Smith and Wesson rep will once again be attending a sale event at my preferred firearms retailer in Fort Lauderdale. It is my intention to trade in my SW99 (.40) for a full sized 9mm pistol - maybe an M&P, maybe another SW99, but perhaps none of the above. I am really wide open to the options - other than a Glock. I don't have my heart set on any particular manufacturer or model.

In my line of work, the maximum caliber I can carry is a 9mm, and I don't have one. My wife is the proud owner of an H&K USP Compact in 9mm, and she aint sharing.

So, my esteemed TFF brethren, I invite you persude me as to what weapon should be my trusted duty piece (I prefer to stay in the $350-$600 range). The floor is yours....
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Sig would be my choice as well..........
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Go ahead and Sig it! :D

Although it will be a bit extra.
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

That's sad right there...:(
  5. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Excellent choices, Pistol. Your tastes in firearms rivals your tastes in fine Scotches and Port wines. :)

However, the two you've offered up are simply north of what I want to spend. Any more options?
  6. Well, you excluded the Glocks (purely a matter of taste, I grant you) though those fit into your price range well. One you might take a look at though is the Steyr M-A1, Pat. I have one (an earlier version of it) and it is a VERY well made and reliable pistol in 9mm. The sights are designed for combat, not target shooting, but getting on a target is very fast and accurate.

http://www.steyr-arms.at/index.php?id=86&L=1
  7. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Blame the State of Florida. Not my choice, I guarantee.

But in fairness, a hot 9mm round (say, Hornady TAP or CorBon Powr'Ball +P) is a highly lethal and effective round. As much respect as I have for the .38spl, I was a little surprised to read an article recently that put the 9mm and .38spl head-to-head in a ballistics "steel cage" match.

The results? In every meaningful category the 9mm beat the .38spl, even if some of the wins were neck and neck.
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Well, I'm going to start a firefight here, but I have the utmost faith in my P85. Big, ugly and built like a rock. Of course, I've only put about 5000 trouble-free rounds through it, so what do I know about its reliability? :D I've heard similar reports about the later models of Rugers, also.

Pops
  9. You'll get no flack from me on that one, Pops. The Ruger "P" series pistols are of excellent quality. Pat, if you go in that direction, I would suggest the P89 (aluminum frame) as opposed to the P95 (polymer frame). The Rugers should be right in your price range as well.
  10. cec

cec New Member

I agree with the Ruger for the budget concerns. My first pistol I purchased was KP95d. I liked the pistol but wanted to move on other calibers.

While I haven't fired the SW line, I am sure there will be no issues there either.

If money was not an object, then the Sig would win.
  11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yall mean there is a better choice in 9mm than a CZ-75? What?

CZ-75

Browning Hi-Power

Glock 17/19
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Your loss.....

I had a P90 45acp. It was very reliable and fun to shoot. Very reliable....
    The trigger was very smooth. I traded it a few years back. I miss it.
    Like you say though....Ruger makes the ugliest autos i have ever seen...but
    I would trust my life to one in a heartbeat....

mike
    gn