You wont see these numbers on CNN

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by sub-moa, Aug 1, 2012.

1. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Published by the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology at Northwestern University School of Law, law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year.

That means that firearms are used 60 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to shoot with criminal intent. Of these defensive shootings, more than 200,000 are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse. About half a million times a year, a citizen carrying a gun away from home uses it in self-defense. Again, according to Kleck amd Gertz, “Citizens shoot and kill more criminals than police do every year [2,819 times versus 303].” Moreover, as George Will pointed out in an article entitled “Are We a Nation of Cowards?” in the November 15, 1993, issue of Newsweek, while police have an error rate of 11 percent when it comes to the accidental shooting of innocent civilians, the armed citizens’ error rate is only 2 percent, making them five times safer than police.
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Do you have a link to that? I would love to share it with others.
  3. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just need to find the right numbers to persuade politicians over here that lawful gun ownership doesn't need to be further regulated...
  6. skullfr

skullfr New Member

liberal media wont allow the truth.More often a weapon isnt even fired.Thugs run at the sight of a armed citizen.
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

should have read this first in aurora
    From the conclusion of John Lott's latest paper titled, "Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings,and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement:"

The results of this paper support the hypothesis that concealed handgun or shall issue laws reduce the number of multiple victim public shootings. Attackers are deterred and the number of people injured or killed per attack is also reduced, thus for the first time providing evidence that the harm from crimes that still occur can be mitigated. The results are robust with respect to different specifications of the dependent variable, different specifications of the handgun law variable, and the inclusion of additional law variables (e.g., mandatory waiting periods and enhanced penalties for using a gun in the commission of a crime). Not only does the passage of a shall issue law have a significant impact on multiple shootings but it is the only law related variable that appears to have a significant impact.
    http://www.guncite.com/index.html
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like we need more people packing iron to make the world a safer place. I can buy that. Very good information you will not see on the new's.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I especially like the 11 vs 2% numbers; that's some good ammo for staying an armed nation. Police are great, but I don't have one in my holster, so my Glock or 1911 is there instead when I need it!

I hope those figures are accurate, that's awesome.
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

"Gun Free" zones are always where the mass shootings occur. In the Giffords case, the shooter was taken down and has now plead guilty. All others that I remember many more were killed or hurt as a result of it being a gun free zone.