Young America .22 Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by grover26, Mar 24, 2012.

1. grover26

grover26 New Member

What is the difference between an H&R Young American .22 'Black Powder' and 'Smokeless Powder' pull-pin revolver? Is it only the cylinder and possibly the barrel, or is the frame also stronger due to design or materials? Reason I'm asking is that I have a very good 'Black Powder' model....indexes well, tight lock-up. I also have a cylinder and barrel from a 'Smokeless' donor gun. Would swapping out these parts, in essence, result in a 'Smokeless' gun capable of safely firing modern ammo? Of course, this is assuming the gun is in sound firing order.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The frame takes as much , if not more, of the stress of firring than the barrel or cylinder. There are a lot of old guns around that have been shot " loose " by firing modern ammo. The cylinders and barrels still look OK, but frame has stretched and even cracked.
  3. grover26

grover26 New Member

Thanks for the info, Ron. So I guess the frames of the 'smokless' era guns, though they look similar to the black powder models, are actually of stronger construction.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

From what research I've done recently - most manufacturers, including H&R, determined the need to improve the strength (metallurgical properties) of their firearms when the smokeless/Nitro based powders began to enter the scene in the 1880's and '90's. H&R changed some metal formulations and began special heat treating of the forged barrels and cylinders to withstand the sharper pressue spike with smokeless. I don't know what they did with the cast frames. It must have taken them some time and experimentation (H&R and others) to come up with the proper treatments because I can see signs of changes occuring before H&R officially declared their guns capable in the 1905 era.
    I have seen a "few" .22 caliber older/turn of the century guns, including H&R .22s with blown cylinders. As RJay states, the frames take some shock, also - don't really know how many rounds it would take to deform a solid frame, guess it would all be luck of the draw.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Gentleman Jim, If it were mine I would use CB Shorts, the CB Shorts have no powder, only a primer and the pressure curve is next to non existent. I've shot a number of my old .22s using them. What say you, good or bad?
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Rjay,
    I take pleasure in shooting the AQUILA Colibris or Super Colibris - just to test fire some of the old clunkers - same concept as your shorts (the cartridges that is) and just a bit more ooomph - so the projectile clears the porch railing. I'm with ya, brother.
  7. grover26

grover26 New Member

Thanks again for your input. Even if I did the 'conversion'...cylinder and barrel... I was still only going to fire CB's or similar, and just a handful. I was just hoping to achieve a little more in the way of safety.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) grover26, If your revolver is tight and in good repair I don't believe CB type .22's will harm it. The CB Shorts have no powder and the others have only 1 grain. The strain on your gun would be negligible. JMHO