Your choice for a 22 LR auto Pistol

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 358 winchester, Dec 4, 2006.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I was just wondering what or which brand of 22 LR auto you prefer and why?
    I am talking about a Standard factory pistol here not our beefed up scoped models :rolleyes: one that could be used as a back up carry or by someone that is just not going to carry a larger gun! ( My Mother will only carry the NAA 22 mini revolver no matter what I say or offer her FREE)
    Old or new doesn't matter.
    Now before y'all start on me I carry a Para LDA / CCW or one of my 1911 and as my back up I carry a S&W 625 (45acp just feel better then any other round) :D (soon, this week, I will have a NIB early High Standard 22 mag also)
    Ron
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I guess it's my choice.
    I bought the wife a Taurus PT22 for Christmas.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

A nice .22 calibre pistol is the Ruger Mark III 22/45 with the heavy barrel. SoMo has one and it is a fine piece, especially for one who is a regular 1911 shooter.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I think I am fixing to buy a P22 it is a great gun been playing with some friends guns lately. I will keep talking myself into it until I buy it
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  5. HiSpeed

HiSpeed New Member

I have one of these scoped and it is a tack driver at 50 yds. :)
  6. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

I just bought the Ruger Mark III Hunter. Intend to get a scope soon. I did a lot or research and all the reviews were stellar. I handled every .22 auto in the store that was for hunting or target shooting and this one felt the best in my hand and had the best balance, IMO.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10118&return=Y

Regards
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I can't own a Ruger 22 pistol I have to have the gunsmith put it back together after cleaning it I have tried and just can't do it. I just ain't as smart as y'all either that or my fingers just don't do things right.!!!!!!!!!!
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I got a MKI I'll sell you. Even include a video Cd on assembly:eek:
  9. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

if this is for carry, a taurus or rossi, 8 or 9 shot revolver, with a 22 mag, 22lr switch cylinder.
  10. juan916

juan916 New Member

Walther P22
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Browning Buckmarks are great. Mine doesn't do well with sub sonic ammo, but other than that it's excellent.
  12. +1 on that choice, Marlin, although mine is the Mark II version. Mine has the bull barrel and it is, by far, the most accurate .22 handgun I've ever shot.

I had much the same problem, Ron, until I finally got the knack of it. The trick is doing exactly what the reassembly instructions say; i.e., tilting the gun upward at the right time so the hammer sets in the right place.
  13. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

you have to re-assemble the gun upside down...

see the manual...

RUGER semiautos are the "gunsmith`s friend" cause you guys cannot figure out how to put them back together...

best regards, mike.
  14. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Ruger is the winner for me.
  15. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

S&W model 41 has always been my favorite....but recently been favoring the BHP with Ciener conversion kit.

[​IMG]
  16. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Good lookin gun Rem
  17. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Have you tried the Colt 1911 ACE???
  18. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I2nd the motion of the Browning Buckmark, an excellent pistol for right-handers, but the grips are unforgiving for lefties.
  19. greener

greener New Member

I'd add the S&W 22A to the list to consider. Accurate, reliable and for about $200, a great value. I have a 22A, MKIII Hunter, 22/45 MKIII and a single six. Can't decide which one I like best. Disassembly of Rugers is not all that difficult, although the first time I field stripped the Hunter, I tought I was headed for a gunsmith with a shoebox full of parts. Got it back together and then did it three more times. The hard part on some Rugers is getting the bolt stop holes lined up because the barrel sits tight on the lug. I've had the Hunter competely apart to upgrade the trigger/hammer/sear. No problems. If a klutz like me can do it, anyone can. Disassembly of the Rugers is easy if you follow the instructions in the manual. Also see http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm for even better instructions.

With the right ammo, the 22A shoots as accurately as the Rugers (at least with me at the trigger). It is simpler and a great, low-priced .22 semiauto. Rugers have the advantage of being almost infinitely upgradeable with a huge parts aftermarket. The other Ruger to throw into the mix is the Single Six. Accurate and loads of fun to shoot.
  20. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Go with a Walther P-22. It consistently ranks at the top of this category by gun magazine and online testing sites.

Pat Hurley