Your choice for a 22 LR auto Pistol

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 358 winchester, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Unless you're in Kalifornikstan, New Jack-up, New Yoiks, or Ill, you may own one of these lovely pistols...

A Calico M-110
    [​IMG]

Also known as the M-100-P (pre 1986)

100 rounds per mag in those Helical Party Animal Mags :D

More famous in it's Carbine size ala Spaceballs ;)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. bakersbread

bakersbread New Member

currently own ruger mk3 22/45, browning buckmark, s&w 22a-1 a german revolver 22., all of the guns have their problems with types of ammo bulk rem have problems in all of them. buckmark has a nice grip but mine seems to be a little picky on ammo and having to have tools to breakdown is kinda annoying. mk3 is really accurate bull barrel is nice. pain in the butt to put back together tho took me a while to figgure it all out and even then its still kind of a joke grip feels like a deck of cards so not the most comfortable but accurate also clips make thumb sore just bought a ultimate clip loader (iknow its a mag thats just what its called) and is worth every penny to reload those clips ebay payed 20$ shipped makes this gun more enjoyable. my most recent is the s&w love the grip clip release is weird at first but love it after a while, clips are easy to load can be picky about ammo tho cheap federal ive hit or missed depending on the box and how cold it is outside. red dot sight is amazing on this gun but is still great shooter without it breakdown is cake and very easy to put back together full breakdown takes about 30 seconds about the same to put together again. but only downside is the little plastic buffer plate at the back of the slide that holds the pin in place is DUMB! if the pin isnt placed in the grove right the spring flies around the room and the plastic spacer is nowhere to be found comes with 3 spares and im on the last one 2 from flying one from breaking can get more from s&w. all in all my favorite is the s&w all around its accurate, comfortable, looks great, easy to clean. 2nd is a toss up buckmark is comfortable accurate fairly reliable can be a pain sometimes, ruger is accurate reliable clips suck to load easy to clean pain to put together not great on comfort but still nice.
  3. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

Ruger MkI. Best pistol out of the box I have ever fired. I now own 2. A 6 3/4" tapered barrel MkI target. Inherited when my father died 5 yrs ago. He bought it new in '55 or '56. Guesstimated 500K+ rounds. Still shoots better then I can hold. I also have a 5 1/2" Bull barrel MkI target that I bought in '74 or '75. Guesstimated 750K+ rounds. Both guns are as tight as new. Reassembly not that difficult if you pay attention to the position of the hammer strut as you reassemble the gun. I have had the good fortune to as least fire most of the guns mentioned in other posts but I really prefer the Ruger. Down and dirty I have never missed anything I really wanted to hit out to 75 yds. IMO absolutely the best OTB target pistol made.
  4. real2all

real2all New Member

I am very happy with my Hp22A from Phoenix Arms. Very simple weapon and easy to take down once you know what your doing. You can go on "You tube" and check for yourself if that is a easy gun to take down. There are plenty of videos showing how to do it. The Hp22 is a reasonably priced and worth every penny. I think Phoenix Arms has a life time warranty with their firearms as well, so its a win-win situation.
  5. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I also have a S&W22A and cant say Ive been disappointed with it yet breakdown and cleaning is quite simple
  6. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

I would opt for the old High Standard with switch bbls.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

ruger 22/45 is my choice
  8. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Only one I have is a Beretta Neos. Nice gun, but for smaller hands than mine, and mine aren't all that big. Want to get more for comparisons.
    Yes, I know about the recall. Already done.
  9. WTC7SmokingGun

WTC7SmokingGun Former Guest

Beretta Bobcat is tiny

[​IMG]
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've had a Ruger Mk 1, a SIG Mosquito, and a Walther P22. Of all of them, I liked the SIG the best, but I ended up selling it after I got tired of it. Not too many guns in my house are considered "permanent"; I like to try new things too much. :)

My wife took the P22 out of my hands as soon as I got into the car after purchasing it, and she hasn't given it back yet. It's definitely her favorite.
  11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Absolutely!!!! You should be able to pick up a used Challenger II for less than a new Ruger II or III. Absolutely a natural point and shoot pistol. The colt Woodsman series are also good, but much more money. Other than that, a Buck Mark Camper has neutral grips and is a great shooter, being two generations newer than the C II. A Challenger I is Belgium made and more expensive, but a superlative pistol that just cannot be worn out.
  12. Greg O

Greg O New Member

Colt Targetsman just recently acquired (1964 vintage)
  13. Juker

Juker New Member

I have a early '60s High Standard Dura-Matic with 4" barrel. Got it in 1975, and would conservatively estimate I've put 5,000 rounds through it. It's as true and accurate as the day it was made and has accompanied me on many adventures.

Plus, it's one of the loudest handguns I've ever encountered, so if you're a bad shot, you'll still scare the crap out of whoever or whatever is lurking out there.
  14. tech16024

tech16024 New Member

ruger mk IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII