The Firearms Forum banner

Your favorite 1911 ccw holster?

Tags
20K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  Dale Dugas 
#1 ·
My favorite concealed carry holster is the Fobus Roto C-21 for my 1911. I carry it in the cross draw position, because I usually have to wear a jacket or coat zippered or buttoned at least part way, and I am frequently behind the driver's wheel of my car.
What is your favorite concealed carry holster, and what position do you carry it in, and why?

#3 ·
galco inside the pants holster, small of the back
That's got to be uncomfortable sitting down. Small of my back anything drives me nuts sitting down but that might just be me.

I use a Bianchi Minimalist at my 3 o'clock for my kimber tactical custom II. Not the most easily concealed piece but with my height as long as I wear a hoodie or my jacket this time of year its not a problem. If not Maine allows open carry.:D:D:D

#4 · (Edited)
The 1911 is a heavy gun, so much so that a lot of folks won't even consider carring one. I use a Yaqui style holster, less leather, less weight, carried under a cover shirt, or jacket, in the 3 o'clock position, right side. These come in either a paddle holster (more weight), or a belt slide (much lighter). While sitting in the car I pull my cover shirt/jacket back, and hook up the seat belt, then recover the pistol. This way I can still draw the pistol anytime I need it, the seat belt is not in the way.

Attachments

#5 ·
I use a don hume leather belt holster. It pulls tight up against you and doesnt flop around like alot of paddle holsters do. I carry a colt defender so I dont have the weight of a full size. Similar to carvers

#8 ·
That's got to be uncomfortable sitting down. Small of my back anything drives me nuts sitting down but that might just be me.
i don't carry a full size 1911, its a ultra compact springfield. and i guess its more halfway between small of my back and right hip....i only carry when i'm going out, so really its just on the drive...but yes, it can be uncomfortable! I'm actually still waiting on my Alabama permit, so haven't even been carrying recently.

#9 ·
The 1911 is a heavy gun, so much so that a lot of folks won't even consider carring one. I use a Yaqui style holster, less leather, less weight, carried under a cover shirt, or jacket, in the 3 o'clock position, right side. These come in either a paddle holster (more weight), or a belt slide (much lighter).
I don't carry my 1911 that much, but when I do it's similar to the one you have pictured. Can't remember where I got it but it was called the cactus slide.

Killbuck
"The ruling class has the schools and press under its thumb. This enables it to sway the emotions of the masses." -Albert Einstein

#10 · (Edited)
Simply Rugged makes a pancake holster that has 3 belt slots so it can be worn strong side or cross draw. It has accessory straps that turn it into an inside the waistband holster. It also can be use with their Chesty Puller harness that places it across the chest for those who want to wear a pack and not have the pack interfere with drawing the weapon.
http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html

#12 ·
My wife and I are working on a holster design for a full size 1911 that will be a "deep concealment" style... can be worn with or without coat/jacket... any type of pants... even shorts... it needs to be totally undetectable and comfortable enough to be worn full time... I notice that most people don't carry because it is too inconvenient, too uncomfortable, too hot... too something... and I think if you go through the trouble to get your CCW permit... you should always carry. I've been using a prototype for a couple of weeks now and it still need some tweeking... I will post when I'm done and hope to get some feedback from you all.

#13 ·
1911 Carrying?

Anybody here carry a full-size 1911? I tried carrying my RIA in an IWB Uncle Mike's holster, and it was just a pain. Felt like the safety or just the frame of the gun or something was stabbing into my back. Are there any better methods for carrying a full-size 1911?

Anyone have any experience with carrying other full-size pistols? I really like the H&K USP, but I have heard that the full-size USP isn't much easier to carry than a 1911. I am thinking if I really want a carry pistol that badly, I might as well save up for something like a Glock 19.

#14 ·
#15 ·
My wife and I are working on a holster design for a full size 1911 that will be a "deep concealment" style... can be worn with or without coat/jacket... any type of pants... even shorts... it needs to be totally undetectable and comfortable enough to be worn full time... I notice that most people don't carry because it is too inconvenient, too uncomfortable, too hot... too something... and I think if you go through the trouble to get your CCW permit... you should always carry. I've been using a prototype for a couple of weeks now and it still need some tweeking... I will post when I'm done and hope to get some feedback from you all.
Looking forward to that post!!

#16 · (Edited)
Uncle Mike's IWB holster. It's not a 1911-specific, it's for 4 1/2" to 5" barreled pistols. I like the holster. It's made out of nylon. Comfortable. It's just a pain sitting down with it and I think it's the gun that tends to poke me in the back a little. If I ever got a CCW license, I'd probably switch to a Glock 19 or something lighter and more comfortable. It wouldn't be so bad if the back of the holster was a bit wider. Maybe I just need to try out a different holster.

BTW, if you conceal carry, can you carry with like a outside hip holster as long as it's covered? Anyone carry that way? It's too bad there isn't like a cross draw holster you can stitch to the inside of your coat or something like that.

#17 ·
I have been carrying full time for several years. Its just like putting on my shoes. Couldnt leave home without it. I did go thru a dozen or so holsters before I found the right one. I think people try one or maybe two holsters and if its uncomfortable they give up. It can be like wearing in a new pair of shoes. You have to break it in. When you find the right holster, you just know it. If you are not used to a pistol on your side, give it time. If you just cant get use to it then try a different holster but dont give up.

#18 ·
Re: 1911 Carrying?

Hogger, to each their own but, I wouldnt use an uncle mikes nylon holster. (if thats what you are using) I would make sure I had a good leather belt and a good leather belt holster that fits high and snug. I use a don hume that is not enclosed. The barrel sticks thru the holster. It does not flop around. I dont carry the full size 1911 on a regular basis anymore. I have a colt defender and a springfield emp. If I didnt have the compact I would carry the full size. Using the leather belt holster puts the grips snug against your ribs and is easier to conceal.

#21 ·
Re: 1911 Carrying?

Hogger, to each their own but, I wouldnt use an uncle mikes nylon holster. (if thats what you are using) I would make sure I had a good leather belt and a good leather belt holster that fits high and snug. I use a don hume that is not enclosed. The barrel sticks thru the holster. It does not flop around. I dont carry the full size 1911 on a regular basis anymore. I have a colt defender and a springfield emp. If I didnt have the compact I would carry the full size. Using the leather belt holster puts the grips snug against your ribs and is easier to conceal.
I will definitely try out a leather belt holster. Do you have any recommendations for what brand to get? I'm assuming it's an inside waist band holster isn't it?

#23 ·
A good GUN BELT and a good Leather holster is all you need to properly support that 1911. Remember, with a firm foundation, you will not notice the added weight of your weapon.
Are there good name brands that you suggest?

#24 ·
Are there good name brands that you suggest?
Mine is a don hume. It is not an inside the pants holster. It straps on to your belt.

#26 ·
I,too, am looking forward to this post. If possible, send me a private note when it is done. I have just added a Colt New Agent, also have a Sig Revolution Carry 4", just recenntly gave my son my Kimber 5" Eclipse.
I don't like the full size 5" as well for carry.
BTW Earlier this year I added a Sig P-238 (380) essentially as a summer clothes gun. I really like it, but hope if the Bad Guys come, I have one of my 45's, or a 9 instead of a 380.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.