• Springfield

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Dan Wesson

Votes: 8 4.7%

Your favorite 1911?

Tags
25K views 131 replies 74 participants last post by  Brian48 
#1 ·
I'd have to side with Kimber personally. I love their guns. I first got my hands on one over a buddies cabin. He has a Custom TLE II Stainless. It was very impressive, and ever since I first fired it, I fell in love. Not to say I can put it above Colt, but I've never had the pleasure of shooting one. I've also seen some nice Sig 1911's, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but Kimber is still my preference.

Also, I've been looking into the new Dan Wesson's. They have a great trigger action and are very smooth. Most of them come with some high quality mags too.

What are your opinions?

#5 ·
I'm partial to Colts but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice SA, and the Dan Wesson at the store has got me drooling, excellent fit and finish...

Para's are OK but the double stack and DA models aren't my cup of tea.

Not too impressed with Kimbers.

#6 ·
While I am a fan of most SIGs, a friend tried out one of the new SIG 1911 this year, for shooting competition. Would NOT run consistently. Sent it back to the factory 3 times. Finally dumped it. He has a Wilson now.

The Colts that I have/ have had, have pretty much been rattle traps, and shoot accordingly. Another friend used a Gold Cup this last year. While pretty tight, and shoots well, parts were falling off it. :eek:

Tried out a S&W at the range, it was ok........not as accurate as I like, kept the Crimson Trace grips, and it went down the road.

I used a Les Baer for competition this year. Was completely satisfied with it's performance, so I guess that would be my favorite 1911.

G
#7 ·
Pick, just curious: What do you think of the older Colts? I agree, the newer ones are crap, but once-upon-a-time Colt built some pretty darn good 1911 pattern pistols I think. I have both a Combat Commander and a Gold Cup that are well over 20 years old and both function flawlessly and shoot accurately.

#8 · (Edited)
Pick, just curious: What do you think of the older Colts? I agree, the newer ones are crap, but once-upon-a-time Colt built some pretty darn good 1911 pattern pistols I think. I have both a Combat Commander and a Gold Cup that are well over 20 years old and both function flawlessly and shoot accurately.
For years, I would not buy a "run of the mill" Colt 1911, reason being, is that every one I shot was a shot-out rattle trap, that couldn't hardly put 2 bullets on the same target at 15 feet. Throw a can on the ground, and it may, or may not, get hit with the first magazine. Granted, I didn't shoot every one out there, but I pretty much had wrote them off by that time.

Then, I was able to shoot a REAL Colt. A friend of mine (who happens to be a machinist, and a gunsmith) let me shoot his Gold Cup. He had taken the time to put some work into this firearm. He put springs in, stoned some parts, and tuned his ammo. What a PLEASURE to shoot. Figure 8s on the target, with the first mag. A little patients and it's one jagged hole with all 7 rounds. :D:D

Ok, I was hooked, I had to have a 1911. I was looking for a Gold Cup when the deal for the Les Baer fell in my lap. Couldn't pass it up. I would not hesitate to get an older Gold Cup, or a Commander like you have, but I still don't care for the older "run of the mill" or the newer ones.

I do still have one older one, I took the frame and stuck it under a Mech-Tech, to make it a pistol caliber carbine, for one of the matches we shoot. For that purpose, it works great. I never plan on putting the slide back on that gun.

G
#9 ·
The Gold Cup I have did indeed require a little TLC to make it reach its potential, Pick. For one thing, I changed out the recoil spring for a heavier one, put in a recoil buffer, and replaced other springs to match. I prefer to shoot mostly full-power hardball ammo in my Colts instead of light loaded leads.

#10 ·
After a long search I recently found a nice series 70 Colt 1911A1. I LOVE IT! Sorry about the shouting but it was well worth the wait.

So far I've only put about 100 rds downrange with it but my bulk ammo orders came and I'm ready to hit the range with all of my 1911's again.

I'm with Pistol, 230gr. Ball ammo

G
#15 ·
I own all listed except the Dan Wesson and I wasn't too impressed with the copy I shot. Although my daily carry is a highly customized Colt, my favorite of those listed is Kimber.

My actual favorite is my Les Baer Premier II.
Shooter, let me put you on the spot for a moment. There's no doubt that custom-made 1911 pattern pistols, Baer, Wilson, Kimber, and the like, do offer some advantages in terms of accuracy and functionality. My question though, is whether they truly justify the much, much higher cost connected with them. For competition shooting, I can see why that would be very important, but for self-defense or common practice shooting, is it worth the extra cost?

#17 · (Edited)
Well I only have 1 1911. It is a smith and wesson full size stainless. I trust it with my life, so I guess it gets my vote.

She's all stock other than a trip to an excellent gunsmith. After a facial, massage, and a little talking to, she is happy and makes me happy by doing exactly what I tell her to do without having to slap her around:)

Yes she is a little big, could lose some weight, but she is always down my pants.
Oh, and she doesn't mind my wife sleeping on the other side of her.
My wife keeps fireing her, but she keeps coming back for more.

Life is good, so if it ain't broke, don't send it to the gunsmith..

#21 ·
I have a series 80 Colt...Had I known more about them at the time I would have saved my pennies and bought something better, but I have fit the barrel/bushing and polished a few internals along with puttering around with handloads until I found what she likes and I am ultimately "content for now" with her...

My next 1911 will be a Wilson

Crpdeth

#25 ·
Shooter, let me put you on the spot for a moment. There's no doubt that custom-made 1911 pattern pistols, Baer, Wilson, Kimber, and the like, do offer some advantages in terms of accuracy and functionality. My question though, is whether they truly justify the much, much higher cost connected with them. For competition shooting, I can see why that would be very important, but for self-defense or common practice shooting, is it worth the extra cost?
Since all my 1911's are custom guns, I may be the wrong one to ask. But, since you did, Yes. And for the obvious reasons. Would I ever use a stock 1911 for personal carry ? After break in and reliability work, Yes.

I must trust what I carry to be comfortable with the weapon. If it shoots 600 rounds, during break in, without any kind of failure, it can go in my holster.

Confused yet ??? :D

#26 ·
Shooter,

I have a basically stock machine. I have had reliability work done. I never have a jam before 170 rounds in one session. Around 170 rounds I can and have had a feeding issue. I assume that that is due to the gun being dirty at the 170 point.

Would you trust it with your life if it were yours?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.