The Firearms Forum banner

What is your favorite autoloading .22lr?

• Ruger 10/22

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Marlin Model 60

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Remington 597

Votes: 4 13.3%

Your favorite autoloading .22lr.

9K views 48 replies 39 participants last post by  BobMcG 
#1 ·
Think in terms of handling, dissassembly, reliability and accuracy.

#27 ·
Hi, McFry. It's simplicity in the extreme! Explosion pushes the fired case to the rear, pushing the bolt to the back and recocking it. A lip on the magazine catches the edge of empty casing which forces it out to the right. You should see one of these in full-auto. A beauty to behold.

You can also reposition the mainspring when using rounds of different velocity. This was all explained in the Owner's Manual that came with the new gun.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

#28 ·
Well, I can't believe I am in such a minority around here, but I shot the old Remington 24 as a kid and finished pretty much wearing it out by the time I was out of high school. And I managed to move up to the Browning 241. Same gun, but moderized a tad. It shoots right where I want it to. Between the two, I couldn't guess how many squirrels, rabbits, and varmints I took either to the table or off the country side around the farm. I did shoot a Winchester 62A for several years in there also which is also one of my all time most SUPER favorite guns. But since you said autoloader, I have to go with the Browning.

#29 ·
I've got an old Marlin 49 that I bought in 1984. This gun was made "according to an old Marlin serial# code sight I found", in 1947. This gun is simply amazing. It is very dependable, and is hands down the most accurate .22 I've ever had! Today I was shooting it on the bench to prepare for the upcoming squirrel season. I't really likes the cci mini mag hp. I used a new Simmons .22 Mag 3x9, and after sighting in at 25 yrds, I fired a .33 three shot ctc clover leaf at 75 yrds. I know this is hard to believe for a semi auto, but this gun is a shooter. The trigger is soft and smooth. Made in the days of yester year. Not an expensive gun, but one I'm sure proud I bought 24 yrs ago!

#30 ·
I have just got a new toy so I guess at the moment it's my favorite 22 semiauto

It's a Walther G22 and as you can see I have added a bit including an illuminated scope and G3 torch (we do a lot of night shooting out here in New Zealand)

Also here in NZ we get the longer 25" barrel so I have made (one of many) an over barrel suppressor and think it looks the part

Cheers

Enfield inNZ

Attachments

#32 ·
Modern: I really like my Rem 597 stainless heavy barrel with thumbhole stock. I've scoped it and it shoots flawlessly and very tight groups out to 100 yards.

I also have a custom Win 290 given to me upon return from Vietnam in '68. The scroll work is fancier than usual...but it's still a 290.

Vintage: I've inherited one of the two Winchester 63s in the family (Dad, age 87, won't let the other one go until he's called to that great range in the sky; and the one he has is scoped). I only shoot mine briefly once a year, though, just to make sure it still works (wink, wink). Besides, my eyes don't do well with iron sights anymore, anyway.

#33 · (Edited)
I see this thread is almost 7 years old there's a new kid in town, the S@W 15/22. I owned a Marlin 60, pretty accurate but quite ammo sensitive. I liked it well enough but a friend liked it better and was in the unenviable position of being gun poor so it's his now. I've owned 3 10/22 s and still have a T/TS in the safe, solid accurate guns but I hate cleaning them. My favorite 22lr semi auto is the S@W 15/22, as accurate as the standard 10/22s, devours everything except light sub sonic loads without a bobble and cleaning takes about 10 minutes including beverage break.

#34 ·
I read through most of the posts from 2008, and like Alpo posted more choices should have been included. Maybe category of, Other, would have been nice. Of the three that were given to pick from, I would have picked the 10/22. I have not shot the Remington though, but have shot the Marlin 60. But my favorite is a Browning sa.

#35 ·
Need an 'other' category.
I like my Marlin 60, and am unimpressed by my Ruger 10-22, and have no experience with the Rem 597.
At the moment, my favorite .22LR auto is a toss up between my Remington 552 and my Armscor 20C carbine. Both are reliable and excellent shooters.

#36 ·
I'll be different, but will truthfully answer as to what is MY favorite 22 autoloader.....

Winchester 190. Yes it has a crappy trigger group, but when I was 12 my Papa bought me one new and I still have it nearly 45 years later.

It has taken many rabbits and punched many holes in targets. It is accurate. It is dependable. It's main attribute however is that it was my first 22 autoloading rifle that Papa bought me. Thus it is priceless.

#37 ·
Agreed on "other" choices for this one.

My favorite of the three listed would be the 10/22. It might be a little harder to clean than the other two choices, but it holds more ammo! A bunch more!

My favorite all around semi auto .22 is the Remington Speedmaster 552. It is limited as to the number of rounds it will hold, but it is tube fed, no magazine to loose, and it will shoot any .22 ammo you feed it except snake shot.

#38 ·
My only autoloader .22 rifle is a Winchester model- 490. I would love to own a Winchester model-63.

I prefer lever, pump and bolt actions because I can use a wide range of .22 ammo. With an auto, most are dedicated to 22 LR only. Remington can shoot several types of .22 ammo.
Wood Textile Woody plant Teal Trunk

#44 ·
joe45c, Thank You. I'm a new member and if this thread hadn't been revived I'd probably have never seen it. I try and search the old threads everyday to see what missed, but I doubt that I'll find everything.
I've owned a Nylon 66 and a few Ruger 10/22s. I finally got what I wanted as a college student, but couldn't afford.....a Weatherby MKII. Now I own enough of them so that my grand kids will each get one when they pass their gun safety classes.

#45 ·
Love these old posts. Especial seeing pictures of others rifles. One post spoke of a Gerfin take down he bought for under $50. Looked into it and they now go for $500 plus. Oh the good ole days.
While I'm at it I would say the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10-22 have one difference (and I have one of each) and that is you can buy all the 25 round magazines you want for the Ruger 10-22 but the Marlin requires you to stop, pull the plunger and reload up to 18. You never know when the ground hogs are going try to gang up on you and you need those extra 300 rounds in a hurry. Now that Ruger is making the 25 round magazines they are RELIABLE! Then again, when there isn't a threat of war mongering ground hogs, the model 60 does feel better on my shoulder. So the debate goes on.

Reactions: joe45c
#46 ·
Love these old posts. Especial seeing pictures of others rifles. One post spoke of a Gerfin take down he bought for under $50. Looked into it and they now go for $500 plus. Oh the good ole days.
While I'm at it I would say the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10-22 have one difference (and I have one of each) and that is you can buy all the 25 round magazines you want for the Ruger 10-22 but the Marlin requires you to stop, pull the plunger and reload up to 18. You never know when the ground hogs are going try to gang up on you and you need those extra 300 rounds in a hurry. Now that Ruger is making the 25 round magazines they are RELIABLE! Then again, when there isn't a threat of war mongering ground hogs, the model 60 does feel better on my shoulder. So the debate goes on.
Here in NY the ground hogs win. We aren't allowed to have the 25 round magazines. I have been over run a number of times and have the scares to prove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.