The Firearms Forum banner

What is your favorite autoloading .22lr?

• Ruger 10/22

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Marlin Model 60

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Remington 597

Votes: 4 13.3%

Your favorite autoloading .22lr.

9K views 48 replies 39 participants last post by  BobMcG 
#1 ·
Think in terms of handling, dissassembly, reliability and accuracy.

#3 ·
What made you pick those three choices? Of those three, I'd have to say the Ruger, simply because I have never fired the Marlin or the Remington. There are other choices out there, though.

#4 ·
Alpo, of course there are more out there, but as far a popularity and price, these three are the obvious choices for this poll. However, if you feel strongly about another rifle in particular, you are more than welcome to present your opinion to everyone.

#5 ·
Dirtypacman, I currently own the model 60, and I promise you will love yours. The rifle just plain shoots. It probably has over 3,000 rounds through it without a SINGLE jam or fail to fire. Re read that if you have to and I am dead serious when I say that. And the rifle is a DREAM to take apart COMPLETLY and put it back together, prolly less than 2 minutes. It shoots 1/2" at 50 yards no problem. The only flaw i have with the rifle is its stock, its a little small, and im not a big guy at all only 137 lbs.

#9 ·
I like the 10/22 because I like to tinker with my guns and the design of the Ruger allows this. I've built a couple of really nice and very, very accurate rifles off of the 10/22 receiver.

Art

#10 ·
....Other....

I have several old JC Higgins autoloaders that I think are perfect. Mods. 27, 28,29, and 30. All very similar and I think they were made for Sears by Stevens or High Standard.

Great light little rifles with fast actions and very good accuracy.

#11 ·
I have had a Model 60 since it first came on the market in 1959/60. It has given flawless service, as has SoMo's Glenfield 60.

alaflyguy now has mine and loves it.

However, all that said, I prefer my Marlin 39 to the semi !!!!!! I guess the fact that I have been using a 39 since 1940 might have something to do with my southpaw favoritism.....

#12 ·
Dirtypacman, I currently own the model 60, and I promise you will love yours. The rifle just plain shoots. It probably has over 3,000 rounds through it without a SINGLE jam or fail to fire. Re read that if you have to and I am dead serious when I say that. And the rifle is a DREAM to take apart COMPLETLY and put it back together, prolly less than 2 minutes. It shoots 1/2" at 50 yards no problem. The only flaw i have with the rifle is its stock, its a little small, and im not a big guy at all only 137 lbs.
I have shot a friends and was very happy with it. I agree nothing but good things to be said about a 60.

#13 ·
I guess what some people don't like about the Sixty is it's tube magazine. Sure, you can't have spare mags loaded, but I know I've never been in a situation that required more than 15 rounds without the 20 second opportunity it takes to reload. Also, it really is easier to drop in rounds rather than to jam them in a removable mag if your in for a day of shooting...

#14 ·
I have both and will compare... I like the 60 much better, but both have their merits.

The 10/22 is just fun to shoot because it can hold more rounds, and that means less time between reloading. What the 10/22 gains over the 60 is that is uses detachable magazines which help to evacuate some of the trash from the action so that the 10/22 can shoot longer without jams between cleanings. The 10/22's action is looser then the 60 so that probably helps with reliability as well. The bad thing about the 10/22 from the factory are NUMEROUS! The carbine stock is way too short and the ultra-thin barrel can only take so much before it warms up and shots start to drift wide. The pattern isn't pretty after a while... The 10/22 also has a pretty nasty trigger pull over the Marlin 60 in a factory configuration. I like the 10/22 because I'm a tinkerer and the after-market wealth of parts is very nice for the 10/22 but that market exists because the 10/22 from the factory lacks in many areas...

The Marlin Model 60 is VERY accurate, has a thicker barrel which helps when firing a large number of rounds over a short period of time and the action is tighter. Oh yeah, the trigger pull is also much nicer and the stock is the right proportions for an adult. The faults in the 60 are that it gets dirty and causes jams much more quickly then the 10/22. The reason is that trash stays in the action and isn't evacuated with the removal of a detachable magazine as with the 10/22. Also, since the action is tighter it takes less garbage to foul it up and cause jams...

All in all, both are good guns with their niche uses, but the 60 is much more fun to shoot for me since it's more comfortable and more accurate from the factory. If I have to clean it a bit more often, then so be it... :D

#17 ·
As the saying goes, “one man’s meat is another’s poison”. Having owned and fired many .22’s in my life I have to say, for me, that the Marlin M60’s are great all-around rifles. They are highly underrated where as the Ruger’s receive a disproportionate amount of fame. This, I am certain, has to do with all the aftermarket add-ons and doo-dads made for it.

So there is no misunderstanding here, I like the 10/22’s. The ones I have been exposed to have been accurate and reliable. However, in stock form, I much prefer the M60.

#21 ·
I have a marlin 60 and a ruger 10/22 I prefer the marlin 60 because mine is more accurate.I just plain like it better.It feels alot better than the ruger to me.The ruger
is picky what it eats where the marlin will fire anything I feed it meaning more time at the range with cheap ammo.

#22 ·
I just picked up a brand new ruger 10/22. 219 bucks after taxes and rated number one in this poll i couldent pass it up. It shoots as well or better than my marlin sixty although it seems to have a feeding problem with my american eagle 40 gr. rounds. Works flawlessly with remington thunderbolts. What rounds are working well for you guys?

#23 ·
While I an not a big lover of any semi-auto, I must admit that my Model 60 (under the Glenfield label) is a great shooter. Needless to say (though I will anyway), the 10/22 is the best choice for those who want to customize - and therefore spent extra money - on a gun that is a great value as it come from the factory. To each his own.

#24 ·
I also agree with Willy.
I have the original Nylon 66 that I bought in May of 59 and I have no idea how many thousands of rounds it now has through it and still is very accurate. I have given one to my wife to my step daughter and daughter and I have 11 to give each of my grandkids as they come of age. Already have permission from parents to hand them out along with a safety course.
Other than that it would be the 10/22 hands down for the reason Kilogulf stated, all the really neat things you can put on them along with their incredible accuracy.

UF

#25 ·
GEVARM .22rf Takedown Model E1. Was made in France. Cheap in the 1960s and '70s. Used both 8-rd and 20-rd mags. Gun sold for $49.95 and extra mags were about $4.00. Only 3 moving parts. No firing pin, or extractor to break or replace. Easily adjustable for high OR low velocity ammo. Bar milled into face of bolt was "firing pin" which struck BOTH sides of rim for double ignition. Will eat anything! :)

Banned from U.S. import in the '70s because it fired on the open bolt and could be quickly converted within 5 minutes to full-auto! :mad:

Reliable, dependable, accurate, handy for hiking/backpacking, lots of firepower. What else can I say? :D

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Here's mine in takedown mode with BOTH mags.

#26 ·
FFF, I just gotta ask, how is your rifle extracting with no extractor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.