Your Favorite Eats When Hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Caneman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

the things i really like to eat when hunting, this is what i put in the pack:

-salami and yellow cheese slices
    -peanut butter crackers
    -trail mix that i make out of: almonds, cashews, hazel nuts, mms, salted raisins, diced dried apricot, and date pieces
    -oatmeal raisin cookies
    -diet raspberry tea

this gets me through the day, and i really enjoy sitting down to eat some lunch (salami and cheese) and drink the tea

what food/snacks do you like to put in your pack?
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Meat is the word of the day in our deer camps, every kind you can imagine, from chicken to kudu.
  3. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

thick sliced salami, hunks of sharp chedder cheese, cookies cool water crackers and cheese sardines
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jerky. Oh, and Pepsi-Cola.
  5. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

sorry guys I forgot to mention a can of spam
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mmm. SPAM. :D
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

boa bab tree nuts ( google bottle tree)
    grass seeds in season , when dew soft, a good breakfast
    jerky
    meat powder for hot soup
    sugar ants if theres any about
    snake that ya cook before and let dry so its not oily or greasy , eat like jerky if dry enough it'll keep 2-3 days wrapped

i take coffee and sugar , sometimes flour and fixings for damper , jerky and powdered jerky

but thats it

and everyone i have ever taken with me has gone or thought yuck or something until they tryed them ..

sugar ants are like watery honey ( just bite its butt off dont eat it all or it'll taste like ant slightly sweet)

snakes bland ..

bottle tree nuts like macadamias , but dont need roasting
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Spam,once you get past the smell, you got it licked.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

daytime: breakfast is usually cold oatmeal in milk (soaked overnight) with dried fruit and nuts (I know, you are what you eat, right?) and a bit of Karo syrup.

throughout the day: beef jerky, tuna (also serves as bait), trail mix bars of some sort, crackers, cheese in the hunting pack. If I make it back to camp or my truck it's ramen noodles for lunch usually. Also almonds, dried fruit, fresh apples and we have these things from the local butcher shop called 'beer snacks' , basically they're jerky sausage concoction that is freakin' delicious.

dinner is the main meal of course, usually my dried veggies soaked back to life during the day, add a bunch of water, a meat (spam, ground venison, beef, whatever) and grains of choice. rice, pasta, lentils, canned beans, etc... and tons of spices and broth packets. Use the fire unless I'm lazy or in a hurry, then will put the dutch oven on the coleman stove.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Moose stew & always left over fry bread. The Indians usually just shoot a bunch of grouse, shoot a beaver, shoot some ducks; pretty much eat what they find near camp; usually an island downriver from our community. Even better is fresh meat, usually moose. Breakfasts are late and enjoyable, more like lunch.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

For my back-pack I always have some type of jerky, a can or two of vienna sausages, a mountain dew and cheese crackers. The box on the 4 wheeler always has at least 2 MRE's, a water bottle, some type of canned heat and eat pastas and stew, my hiking stove w/fuel, mountain dew and more crackers.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Crackers, and cheese are probably the first thing I think of. Some vienna sausages, hard boiled eggs, spam, smoked oysters, sardines, and some kind of fruit. Water is the only thing I take to drink, except for coffee in the mornings. Lots of memories of sitting along a road side, or at the deer camp, eating lunch with hunting buddies! I'm also always on the look out for wild edibles, such as persimmons, and paw-paw's, and french mulberries.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

carver, i completely forgot about these, i luv em on crackers with a little mustard.... pretty easy to put a small can in the pack
  14. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Good lord the game game can smell most of you guys long distance.
    Crackers,spam and vienna sausage
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Yeah, they say that about us smokers too but every hog and deer I've shot I had a cigarette hanging out the corner of my mouth when I touched that trigger. :dontknow: