The Firearms Forum banner

Your Favorite Eats When Hunting

8K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  Caneman 
#1 ·
the things i really like to eat when hunting, this is what i put in the pack:

-salami and yellow cheese slices
-peanut butter crackers
-trail mix that i make out of: almonds, cashews, hazel nuts, mms, salted raisins, diced dried apricot, and date pieces
-oatmeal raisin cookies
-diet raspberry tea

this gets me through the day, and i really enjoy sitting down to eat some lunch (salami and cheese) and drink the tea

what food/snacks do you like to put in your pack?

#2 ·
Meat is the word of the day in our deer camps, every kind you can imagine, from chicken to kudu.

#7 · (Edited)
boa bab tree nuts ( google bottle tree)
grass seeds in season , when dew soft, a good breakfast
jerky
meat powder for hot soup
sugar ants if theres any about
snake that ya cook before and let dry so its not oily or greasy , eat like jerky if dry enough it'll keep 2-3 days wrapped

i take coffee and sugar , sometimes flour and fixings for damper , jerky and powdered jerky

but thats it

and everyone i have ever taken with me has gone or thought yuck or something until they tryed them ..

sugar ants are like watery honey ( just bite its butt off dont eat it all or it'll taste like ant slightly sweet)

snakes bland ..

bottle tree nuts like macadamias , but dont need roasting

#9 ·
daytime: breakfast is usually cold oatmeal in milk (soaked overnight) with dried fruit and nuts (I know, you are what you eat, right?) and a bit of Karo syrup.

throughout the day: beef jerky, tuna (also serves as bait), trail mix bars of some sort, crackers, cheese in the hunting pack. If I make it back to camp or my truck it's ramen noodles for lunch usually. Also almonds, dried fruit, fresh apples and we have these things from the local butcher shop called 'beer snacks' , basically they're jerky sausage concoction that is freakin' delicious.

dinner is the main meal of course, usually my dried veggies soaked back to life during the day, add a bunch of water, a meat (spam, ground venison, beef, whatever) and grains of choice. rice, pasta, lentils, canned beans, etc... and tons of spices and broth packets. Use the fire unless I'm lazy or in a hurry, then will put the dutch oven on the coleman stove.

#10 ·
Moose stew & always left over fry bread. The Indians usually just shoot a bunch of grouse, shoot a beaver, shoot some ducks; pretty much eat what they find near camp; usually an island downriver from our community. Even better is fresh meat, usually moose. Breakfasts are late and enjoyable, more like lunch.

#11 ·
For my back-pack I always have some type of jerky, a can or two of vienna sausages, a mountain dew and cheese crackers. The box on the 4 wheeler always has at least 2 MRE's, a water bottle, some type of canned heat and eat pastas and stew, my hiking stove w/fuel, mountain dew and more crackers.

#12 · (Edited)
Crackers, and cheese are probably the first thing I think of. Some vienna sausages, hard boiled eggs, spam, smoked oysters, sardines, and some kind of fruit. Water is the only thing I take to drink, except for coffee in the mornings. Lots of memories of sitting along a road side, or at the deer camp, eating lunch with hunting buddies! I'm also always on the look out for wild edibles, such as persimmons, and paw-paw's, and french mulberries.

#15 ·
Good lord the game game can smell most of you guys long distance.
Crackers,spam and vienna sausage
Yeah, they say that about us smokers too but every hog and deer I've shot I had a cigarette hanging out the corner of my mouth when I touched that trigger. :dontknow:

#16 ·
Interesting choices.

In the AM before setting out I may or may not eat. If I do eat it is either a bowl of oatmeal or some scrambled eggs.

When I am in the field I take several small containers filled with trail mix of different types that I purchase @ wallyworld, and one or two apples and that is it. I keep them in my backpack and snack on them when hungry. Sometimes I don’t eat at all while hunting. I always have about a gallon of water on me as well. 1 two quart container, and two 1 quart containers.

Sometimes I make pepperoni rolls to take along, but the above is standard and always with me. But then again if I take pepperoni rolls then I need to have some TUMS with me.

#17 ·
I leave the house empty, when you are a little bit hungry, you hunt better.

#20 ·
Jerky, trail mix and some dried fruit. Dried fruit is one of my must haves no matter what I'm doing. Apricots and pineapple are my favorites.

#22 ·
yeah big fan of the dried pineapple , tried the candied type like ginger ??

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET ! anything pineapple is good
candied ginger is fantastic stuff; dried pears are right up there too.

#23 · (Edited)
hey i just picked a couple monstereo delicio (sp?) just ate one whilst doing the fence line , 2 bunnies only , but i'll duck out in a hour again , will take the other home to put with ice cream ( it hit 98 here today , everythings good eh )

they are growing wild along the north facing area's i may make up a batch of proper home made ice cream from them

they are cool and juicy to eat while walking but you have a hell of a time with the seeds and these folks you dont want to eat

they cut into everything

pity i cant send fruits i'd send ya some crystalised pineapple

the motel i was stayed while away is owned by the folks who also own the buderim motel , i stay at when that way , its a short walk from buderim ginger factory

we order a tray ( about 14 lb ) its just dried at a temp where the sugars come to the surface and crystalise as the water evaporates...

not a thing added

the secret is getting the pine from the field and cut and on the try within 20 mins

so they converyor line it when they pick and they are in the dryer for 2 days still dripping and the stack is rotated so the top ones end up on the bottom and move up one slot every hour the first day every 2 the next for the first half day , then they dont drip no more

been thinking of doping it here in a much smaller way like a oven load every couple days for a week or so , but aint even planted the right type yet , i've planted the minitures ( actually they are the "heirloom" variety about 1/3 of the big ones in storews or half the next size depending on the breed) that will feed me and not be wasted

#24 ·
Jerky, trail mix and some dried fruit. Dried fruit is one of my must haves no matter what I'm doing. Apricots and pineapple are my favorites.
Trail mix is great, I love it, especially the dried fruits. But for us that are diabetic, the dried fruits can get us in trouble real quick! Then there's the nuts. Again, those of us that are diabetic have to be careful not to eat too many of them. About 1oz. is a serving for us. If I chose to go with a home made trail mix, it would be 1oz mixed nuts, and two, or three pieces of dried fruit! Not much there! Meats, and eggs, won't spike our blood sugars, but we still have to watch how much we eat. If I take an apple with me, I can only eat half of it at a meal!

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.