The Firearms Forum banner

Your Favorite Eats When Hunting

8K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  Caneman 
#1 ·
the things i really like to eat when hunting, this is what i put in the pack:

-salami and yellow cheese slices
-peanut butter crackers
-trail mix that i make out of: almonds, cashews, hazel nuts, mms, salted raisins, diced dried apricot, and date pieces
-oatmeal raisin cookies
-diet raspberry tea

this gets me through the day, and i really enjoy sitting down to eat some lunch (salami and cheese) and drink the tea

what food/snacks do you like to put in your pack?

#27 ·
I usually take a coffee and bagel in the morning to get me started and woken up. Trail mix is a great thing to have when youre sitting out there and not seeing anything move. Usually whatever I eat is gone within the first couple of hours because I get bored of not seeing anything. Haha.

#29 ·
boa bab tree nuts ( google bottle tree)
grass seeds in season , when dew soft, a good breakfast
jerky
meat powder for hot soup
sugar ants if theres any about
snake that ya cook before and let dry so its not oily or greasy , eat like jerky if dry enough it'll keep 2-3 days wrapped

i take coffee and sugar , sometimes flour and fixings for damper , jerky and powdered jerky

but thats it

and everyone i have ever taken with me has gone or thought yuck or something until they tryed them ..

sugar ants are like watery honey ( just bite its butt off dont eat it all or it'll taste like ant slightly sweet)

snakes bland ..

bottle tree nuts like macadamias , but dont need roasting
My hats off to you sir, your a true survivalist.

#31 ·
In camp, a light breakfast of oatmeal with raisins & brown sugar or Steens cane syrup. In my pack, cheese crackers, or better yet, deer salami & some sharp cheddar cheese, oats & honey granola bars, water, gator aid & a diet coke. Vienna sausages & saltines with a mustard pack or potted meat :eek:!

Supper back at camp, spicy venison soup, a dark beer and a campfire. Steaks on the grill, garlic mashed taters green beans, bratwurst boiled in beer & onions then grilled with sour kraut & the beer onions. That makes for a stinky camp.

Also, deer camp spaghetti, which is regular spaghetti meat sauce with a jalapeno dropped in while it simmers. Chicken Parmesan , Burgundy Roast Venison, Venison tips with mushrooms and well I could go on.

#35 · (Edited)
I don't do much hunting now days. But, if I went on a day hunt I would carry potted meat and/or vienna sausage; saltines; beef jerky; trail mix, peanut butter crackers & water.

If I'm spending a few days in the woods I bring some coffee, potatos, carrots & stew fixins. I also carry bread, bacon, eggs & a cast iron dutch oven to cook in.

When I was younger we'd spend the whole season in deer camp. Possum or **** stew was always one of our 1st priorities while we made camp. We also loved making Mulligan stew. The first deer killed was also used to feed the whole camp over the next few weeks.

-

#37 ·
I usually take a coffee and bagel in the morning to get me started and woken up. Trail mix is a great thing to have when youre sitting out there and not seeing anything move. Usually whatever I eat is gone within the first couple of hours because I get bored of not seeing anything. Haha.
Take a book along!

#43 ·
or I'd fall asleep and that wouldnt be good either haha.
Last year on opening day of muzzle loader I set up on a hillside amongst some mt laurel watch a hardwood patch. I feel asleep and when I opened my eyes I had 6 to choose from. All does but they were there and in season. Took a 162 pound doe to the butcher.

#45 ·
Don't fall asleep, but pretend that you are. I've had deer walk right up to me, and I know of one man who had one touch him with it's nose. Deer are courious animals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.