Your Favorite Eats When Hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Caneman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah big fan of the dried pineapple , tried the candied type like ginger ??

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET ! anything pineapple is good
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

candied ginger is fantastic stuff; dried pears are right up there too.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey i just picked a couple monstereo delicio (sp?) just ate one whilst doing the fence line , 2 bunnies only , but i'll duck out in a hour again , will take the other home to put with ice cream ( it hit 98 here today , everythings good eh )

they are growing wild along the north facing area's i may make up a batch of proper home made ice cream from them

they are cool and juicy to eat while walking but you have a hell of a time with the seeds and these folks you dont want to eat

they cut into everything

pity i cant send fruits i'd send ya some crystalised pineapple

the motel i was stayed while away is owned by the folks who also own the buderim motel , i stay at when that way , its a short walk from buderim ginger factory

we order a tray ( about 14 lb ) its just dried at a temp where the sugars come to the surface and crystalise as the water evaporates...

not a thing added

the secret is getting the pine from the field and cut and on the try within 20 mins

so they converyor line it when they pick and they are in the dryer for 2 days still dripping and the stack is rotated so the top ones end up on the bottom and move up one slot every hour the first day every 2 the next for the first half day , then they dont drip no more

been thinking of doping it here in a much smaller way like a oven load every couple days for a week or so , but aint even planted the right type yet , i've planted the minitures ( actually they are the "heirloom" variety about 1/3 of the big ones in storews or half the next size depending on the breed) that will feed me and not be wasted
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Trail mix is great, I love it, especially the dried fruits. But for us that are diabetic, the dried fruits can get us in trouble real quick! Then there's the nuts. Again, those of us that are diabetic have to be careful not to eat too many of them. About 1oz. is a serving for us. If I chose to go with a home made trail mix, it would be 1oz mixed nuts, and two, or three pieces of dried fruit! Not much there! Meats, and eggs, won't spike our blood sugars, but we still have to watch how much we eat. If I take an apple with me, I can only eat half of it at a meal!
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

black bread ...
  6. carver

carver Moderator

Russian Rye?
  7. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

I usually take a coffee and bagel in the morning to get me started and woken up. Trail mix is a great thing to have when youre sitting out there and not seeing anything move. Usually whatever I eat is gone within the first couple of hours because I get bored of not seeing anything. Haha.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

latvian i suppose but yeah
  9. al45lc

al45lc New Member

My hats off to you sir, your a true survivalist.
  10. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Now you can get Spam and cheese, Spam and black pepper, Spam and bacon, Spam and jalapeno, Spam and garlic, Spam Hot and Spicy and ........ , wait a minute, this is starting to sound like a Monty Python skit! :)
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

In camp, a light breakfast of oatmeal with raisins & brown sugar or Steens cane syrup. In my pack, cheese crackers, or better yet, deer salami & some sharp cheddar cheese, oats & honey granola bars, water, gator aid & a diet coke. Vienna sausages & saltines with a mustard pack or potted meat :eek:!

Supper back at camp, spicy venison soup, a dark beer and a campfire. Steaks on the grill, garlic mashed taters green beans, bratwurst boiled in beer & onions then grilled with sour kraut & the beer onions. That makes for a stinky camp.

Also, deer camp spaghetti, which is regular spaghetti meat sauce with a jalapeno dropped in while it simmers. Chicken Parmesan , Burgundy Roast Venison, Venison tips with mushrooms and well I could go on.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

lots of other stuff to eat , witchety grubs and such but all i've listed folks would pay for i know if they had em commercial

the other stuff yeah it'll keep you alive but tastes , you seen the movie ;)
  13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Yep, me too. Dunno how I'll get a deer this year since I quit.:confused:
  14. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Beef and Deer Jerky.
  15. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't do much hunting now days. But, if I went on a day hunt I would carry potted meat and/or vienna sausage; saltines; beef jerky; trail mix, peanut butter crackers & water.

If I'm spending a few days in the woods I bring some coffee, potatos, carrots & stew fixins. I also carry bread, bacon, eggs & a cast iron dutch oven to cook in.

When I was younger we'd spend the whole season in deer camp. Possum or coon stew was always one of our 1st priorities while we made camp. We also loved making Mulligan stew. The first deer killed was also used to feed the whole camp over the next few weeks.

-
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  16. garydude

garydude Member

Breakfast

Attached Files:

17. carver

carver Moderator

Take a book along!
  18. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That's another thing that always goes in the pack. Whether it be a paperback novel or a book of crossword puzzzles. Get into the book and the next thing you know, you look up and there stands bambi.
  19. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Thats a great idea, I didnt even think about that. I do enjoy me some crossword puzzles.
  20. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Shall I tell ya'll of the 9 point whitetail I missed because I was reading?
    Looked up just in time to see him disappearing back into the trees!
    I've never kicked myself so hard!