Your favorite powder for .223 55gr loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dmh, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dmh

dmh New Member

Whats your favorite powder for .223 rem 55 grain bullets? I've been loading 55 grain amax, SP or those cheap midway dogtown bullets over 25.5 grains of Varget for some time now. But given the burn rate of Varget (and price :( ) I got the hankering a different powder is probably more suitable. Accuracy isnt super critical, this is for plinking only. I'd love to hear what works for others
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Hodgdon H335 works for me but its pricing is no better than Varget (??).

Unless you find a source of cheap surplus powder (??) all powders are pretty well priced the same. Where you might save is to find a powder that requires less for the same velocity making the canister of powder last longer. But only shoot manual listed loads.

LDBennett
  3. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I used to have really good luck with BLC2, but somewhere along the line I switched over to Varget. I am thinking about sticking with Varget in other calibers and experimenting with .223 powders again though.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Ramshot X-T for 52-55gr and Ramshot Tac for 60-69gr. Economical too.
  5. The Count

The Count New Member

i just posted my comparison between H335 and H322in a separate thread. Just like LD says, H335 seems to work good.
  6. dmh

dmh New Member

When I first started reloading, I did some math and figured, "WOW, I can use way less IMR4198". Of course, it's a very fast powder and wont cycle semi-autos so now I have a pound of that rotting away.

This is my thoughts exactly!

I'll try to find some H335 this weekend at a gun show and give it a try. I actually stand corrected, Walmart here sells Varget for $20 / Lb, but I will stick with using it for larger calibers.
  7. Duckboats

Duckboats New Member

I like H4895. Economical and fills most of case.
  8. dmh

dmh New Member

I'd only consider that if I was using heavier bullets. But I already have Varget for that, and I'm trying to find a powder for niche 55gr loads :p Well, then again it is right between H335 and Varget on burn rate so it may fit the role.. gives me an excuse to buy a pound of it and shoot it up.

Another question, is H335 a fine ball powder like BLC2? That stuff clogs my Lee measure so damn bad and goes all over the place. I'm planning on loading a lot of 223 so if this is the case I would like to know ahead of time :(
  9. The Count

The Count New Member

be sure to compare apples with apples....i.e. exact same bullet type and weight (within .2 grains)...same brass and suggested load (at max) for all powders. my particular rifle, the CZ 527 in .223, like all H335 loads it tried, 23, 24 and 25 grains. could not notice any difference, but H322, while not being really bad or anything, always had at least one bullet stray from the group by a couple inches. LD says each gun has its own personality and powder preference. so have fun messing around with different loads.

PS: 335 is a fine ball powder. i measure it with a electronic dispenser but i once used my lee auto disc and it always was somewhat messy.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

IMR 3031 works well for everything from .222rem to 45/70
  11. LDBennett

dmh:

Hodgdon ball powders work great in everyone else's powder measure. Leave it to LEE to design a powder measure with clearances so great as to get clogged by the very popular Hodgdon ball powders!

Yes, H335 is a ball powder but the ball size varies between the various Hodgdon powders. Some may clog your LEE measure while others may not.

I would not own any measure that is so loose as to not meter ball powders! How are you ever going to measure out W296/H110 for magnum pistol cartridges. That is one fine ball powder!

LDBennett
  12. dmh

dmh New Member

It seems to be close burn rate of IMR4198 which I've had issues with operating gas systems so I think I'll go with something slower to be safe.
  13. dmh

dmh New Member

No joke right. Figure that one out, I'd rather have Varget leak or something.

At this point I think much like The Count, I'll probably just have a shoot-off between H322, H335 and maybe some BLC2 I have left over.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  14. The Count

The Count New Member

As we all know by now LD is a real fan of LEE products! :D:D:D
  15. LDBennett

The Count:

Would you own a powder measure that you could not use for ball powders, so loose as to allow the kernels (balls) to get between it parts and jam it?

Think I'll rush right out and support LEE and buy one.... DUH!

OK I don't like most LEE products and this is one of the many reasons. I'm not the only one, just the one with the biggest mouth. :) :)

LDBennett
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use Varget or Win 748.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I find IMR4895 superb with 53 gr bullets, so I wuld wager it would do well with 55s
  18. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

2230 was made just for this aplication.
  19. doug66

doug66 New Member

H335, W748
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

W748 is a good one