Your favorite war movie?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

A GREAT movie I saw about Korea ONCE on TV and can never find it anywhere and don't even remember the name...the one about a bookworm second LT who actually is the battalion "Unit Historian" that tags along on a patrol led by a hard bitten NCO just BEFORE the Chicoms come in, the patrol get's caught behind the lines surrounded by the Chinese offensive, the NCO is blinded and the LT leads them back using tactics from old wars that he has read about...if anybody remembers it let me know I would like to have a copy!

Then "What did You do in the War, Daddy" Took place in Italy in WWII, where a "tired" US unit is up against an Italian unit in a town that is ready to surrender right before Italy changes sides, so they fake fighting during the day for weeks so the American brass think they are still fighting and the Germans who are watching think the Italians are still fighting, but at night they party together...until the Germans come in after the Italian surrender to take over then the Italians and Americans join up and do a great job actually fighting and beating the German SS unit sent to take over the town...GREAT movie, that again I cannot find a copy of....:mad:
  2. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

"Patton" is my favorite war movie but my friend and I make it a point to watch "The Deer Hunter" at least once a year.
  3. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. Benajah

Benajah New Member

84 Charlie MoPic was a really good one.
  5. Old Steve

Old Steve New Member

There have been a great many good movies listed here, and I would never try to separate out the very best, but I very much liked "The Enemy Below" mostly because it developed the sense of the crew's apprehension of the new Captain's abilities and they way they came to respect him. Combat on ships differs from infantry in that the crew is totally dependent on their Captain's skill and judgement (and luck), Kurt Jurgens was also very good, actually the crews of both vessels were played very realistically.

But what if he doesn't turn left?
    We will survive until he does

I saw Das Boot after reading Herbert Werner's book "Iron Coffins" and frankly I thought it was silly and childish, very unrealistic.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. bamashooter

bamashooter New Member

Band of Brothers
    The Pacific
    We Were Soldiers
    Blackhawk Down
    The Patriot
    The North and The South
    Those and pretty much any war movie with the Duke in it.