The Firearms Forum banner

Your favorite weight bullet for 357 mag - 4 and 2.5 inch barrels

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Firpo 
#1 ·
This is a new caliber for me. I'll be using plated and lead cast bullets only. I'm starting out with 158 grain plated but 125 grain also looks good on paper.

Right now, 125 grain is much harder to find, however. There is a lot a variability in prices and shipping costs between vendors, so shopping around is worth the effort.

#2 ·
For years, I cast and loaded a 150 grain Keith type bullet for both .38 and .357 magnum. When I found Berry's bullets a few years ago, I started loading their 125 grain and that is about all I load. BTW, they seem to have plenty of .357 bullets in stock, to include 125s: http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c135-38357_Cal_357.aspx

Xtreme also has some: http://www.xtremebullets.com/38-s/48044.htm

so does Bayou Bullets: http://www.bayoubullets.net/38-357-124-gr-rn-100-ct/

I will have to load a few 125's, some 150 KT, and some 158 grains to see what my new play pretty likes.

#4 ·
For cast/plated bullets, my preferred bullet is the good ole 158gr SWC. But I will use other weights and styles too pending availability...been using just as many 125gr cast SWC lately in the .38/.357. All depends on what's in stock.

Getting into jacketed bullets...
125gr and 158gr for general use (small-game, varmints, etc).
170-180gr JHP for deer.

#8 ·
Another vote for the 158 grain bullet. I cast my own, so I don't have to worry about bullet weight. In todays market finding a certain bullet weight is a real job, so I know that if I had to load 125 grain bullets, because that was all I could find, then I would load them too. I like the bigger heaver bullets. I am not one of those speed junkies, that believe speed is king. I want a deep, large hole in what ever I shoot at!

#12 ·
I use both Hodgdon Universal and H110. I don't like to list load weights on the forum due to my poor typing and spelling but I will say, you'll do fine with 110.

#15 ·
I have an excellent Lachmiller mold that drops a 160 gr, plain based swmi-wadcutter. I cast a bunch with wheel weight alloy and use them in my .357 Mag. (4") and my .38 Specials (2" and 4"). Mostly with charges of Unique...

P.S. don't down load any W296/H110! Don't go lower than the starting load in your reloading manual...

#18 ·
Absolutely do not load down with H110. I spoke with one of the technicians at Hodgdon one day about H110 about using it in the .44SPL. When I told him about the caliber selection, he almost hung up on me. He said that there is NO credible information for using this powder in this cartridge. He also said that H110 was engineered/designed to operate at maximum pressure only, and to be ignited by magnum primers. Data listed in most loading manuals with this powder only show a 1.0 to a 1.5 grain difference between minimum and maximum loads.

#19 ·
Kinda depends on what you want to do with it. For indoor range shooting I like 148grain HBWC's with 3 grains of Unique. Tac driver accurate and you can get over 2300 rounds out of a pound of powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.