your first hunt

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by pdg929, Aug 11, 2012.

1. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

i havent seen this thread up there lets hear about your very very first hunt. ill start off wit mine.

welp i was 15 and opening day me and my dad went out and sat in our stands all day watched the does come in and out all day. it was getting later and this deer came in and wondered around and ate in the bait pile and left. next thing i know i got a bottle of fox pee hurled my way and my dad said y didnt u shoot i said i didnt see any antlers....after some critizing he stopped and the next day at the crack of dawn the same deer came in and looked at me than i seen the one lone antler on the one side hidden by his ear. than i took the shot and made the kill( it was in the pines in nj you take what you can get lol)... my very first deer i remember it like yesterday now lets hear about yours
  2. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

What type of hunt? First lone hunt or family involved? The first hunting experiance I can remember was with my grandpa and two uncles coon huntin. They had to carry me a lot. My first killin hunt I was bout eight when I got to kill my first coon. First deer hunt I remember I was 6. First one where I got to take the shot I was 14 had a broken arm. Took the first day of season off and me and my dad went to walkin. We scared one up and he ran right toward us. When he was 10 yrds away he turned and gave me a better shot. I shot him through the heart and he fell . My dad ran up to him and pulled out his weakly beating heart (could field dress cuz of cast and could was bloood off of it)handed it to me and said "Now you know what its like to take a life" as the heart died.
  3. sprunner114

sprunner114 New Member

i remember squirrel hunting with my dad and we were sitting under a pine. i saw a squirrel run and instead of shooting i yelled "hey dad theres a squirrel" he laughed as he said shoot it. i hit it on the first shot and as we got up to get it i thought i saw it move so i shot 2 more times haha my dad laughed so hard. when we go out now i still have to hear that story.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Couldnt tell you mine. I've been hunting with my dad since before I can remember. As soon as I was old enough to sit still, I was on my own, I reckon.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hunting with my grand father is one of my earliest memories but we'd been a few times before that time.. and not that long after i was out on my own ( 8 ) witha .22 single shot and 1 box of 50 rounds with the warning my parents would never buy me more ammo , i had to shoot bunnies and skin em to buy more
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i got my first rifle at five years old.my great grandfather taught me everything i needed to know,it started out with tree rats. old semperfi
  7. robman2629

robman2629 Member

My first hunt was just a couple months ago. My fishing buddies took me out to hunt some turkey in the woods of Maine. We were stalking these two big turkeys and had lost sight of them when I heard my buddy say "Rob, take the shot." I had no idea where he was looking but apparently the turkeys spotted us a while ago. One was about 20 yards, the other 40+. It was made worse by the fact that not too long before there was some tree work done on the farm so I was blinded by brush. He kept saying "take the shot or I will!" Finally I just told him to take it. I moved to the right and saw both of them right as his first shot went off. I then aimed up at the turkeys and completely missed them haha. It was definitely a fun experience for me. Cant wait to get back out there!
  8. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

good stories guys
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

My first hunting trip was with my dad shooting rabbits. Did we eat the meat? NO! but it was fun to take them out from a far distance. We were using Marlin model 60s, that was around 16 years ago. Otherwise now I dont really hunt other than shoot rabbits and hogs at the farm
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  10. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I was at the Archery range with my ex, shooting random distance targets in the late afternoon (like a miniature golf course) when a BIG fat rabbit came out of the tall brush and sat his ass right in front of my target bale! I was already at full draw and ready to release. :crazy: Unbelievable, I couldn't have had an easier hunt. It happened a second time that day. We had rabbit for dinner that night.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I got my first .22 rifle at age 9, but was hunting rabbits with a stick long before I fired that frist bullet. On one trip afield, when I was 9, that really sticks out, I got 13 turkeys!
  12. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I can't remember my 1st hunt with dad but remember the 1st time we both harvested a deer on the same day about 10 seconds between my shot and dad's shot on different deer. Started out squirrel hunting and then rabbit and deer hunting.