Your Hobbies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hjsmith00843, Jun 29, 2012.

1. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

What other hobbies do you guys have.

I used to race cars. Can not afford it now. I do compete in Garden Tractor Pulling.
  2. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Until health intervened, I rode my horses and restored a John Deere Model 40 ( 1953). Also ran a hunting club for about 20 years and kept up about 10 miles of field roads with my dozers and tractors
  3. bobski

bobski Former Guest

im quickly getting out of gun collecting and quit motorcycle restoration recently.
    hobby? well, fixing up my home and repairing old furniture seems to be the hobby these days. i use only old tools doing it. and those old tools are my dads old tools too. gessh..i had so many hobbies, im actually sick of hobbies. stamps, coins, postcards, they tended to be wasters of good time for me.
    funny how we never have time to work and do chores to catch up, but always have time to play to chase interests.

but if you want to call it a hobby....well ok. when i walk in the woods or cut wood, i set aside odd unions of limbs or strange growths.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

Current hobbies are hunting, reloading and fishing, and been doing them for a long time.

Some past hobbies (or accomplishments) that I don't have time to do anymore, are building custom cabinets and furniture, complete frame off restoration of my 1969SS Chevelle (hence the screen name), restoring old farm tractors.
  5. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I love woodworking, but never find the time to do much any more.

I also enjoy woodcarving and have carved a few gun grips among other things, but my passion is carving very detailed realistic looking songbirds.

I also have been know to juggle, spin a lasso and ride a unicycle. Years ago before I was married I did some performing, mainly for charity events. It’s been so long I can barley ride that one wheeled bike anymore, but I still pick up my juggling props every now and then.
  6. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I used to rally race (SCCA prepared front-wheel drive class)...but now "shootin'', kayaking, hiking, camping, restoring old firearms (just starting out) working hard at becoming a hoarder (according to my wife) and chasing a 12 year-old around occupies most of my time. Oh, and I read alot.
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Welding different products to sell and also welding repair, truckdriving(my main job), truck accessory sells, driving around with my wife, and diesel and gasoline repair and performance. Also I do auto salvaging and dismantling(parts sells), and haul scrap steel
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Hunting, Fishing,Reloading,Restoring Firearms. Restoring my 82 and 85 Regals. I use to collect stamps,but that stuff just sits in my ceadar chest. I was building an 86 regal drag car but gave up on that about 5 years ago.
  9. 01brian

01brian New Member

Motorcycling, although I just sold my sportbike and am looking for a standard. I love woodworking but am not too great at it. Mostly make shop stuff and jigs. Just the past few years, I got into black powder and love it, then I moved into centerfire and love it.

I spend most of my free time with music though...teaching now. I built a mini studio in the basement and recorded a ton. I used to do live stuff with a group for about 5 years, but we fell apart a few years ago. It was a good experience and we did cut one cd and distributed it locally, so that was cool.

With the economy and gas prices now, hobbies just seem to get put on the back burner though.
  10. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

was your regal the turbo version? I had a Monte Carlo SS I was drag racing and a Vega when I was in school. In the 1/8 my vega would run 6.90's with foot brake and no electrics. Car was conficiated because I was caught pulling a wheelie on main street of my home town. Was all over the news papers. This was years ago.
  11. jphipps

jphipps Former Guest

Hello all, I am new here. I have been checking out the forum for a few days, liked what I saw and decided to jump in. What better way to introduce myself than to list some hobbies. Fact is....I have so many hobbies, work gets in the way!!! Photography, fishing, backpacking, Coin Collecting, antiquing, painting, woodworking, gardening.....too many to list but these are my favorite. I recently rediscovered shooting. I shot quite a bit when I was younger but when I moved from my county roots in Ohio to suburban Georgia I dropped the sport for about 20 years. To make a long story short, my step-dad died in 2011 and I went back for his funeral. Lifetime NRA member, gun collector, youth gun safety instructor, Conservation League President. A good man. I sat down in his workshop looking over his gun collection and picked up a shotgun and one of his pistols and a couple boxes of ammo, stepped outside and spent all the ammo in his honor. Man did that feel good. Needless to say, I got the bug and have since picked up a couple of pistols and a shotgun for myself over the past year. Nothing fancy, and I have a lot to learn, but I sure do love shooting. I have known this man for years and it seems like the shooting has helped keep a part of him alive to me.
  12. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

cars and trucks made before the catalytic converter.

the will be my final project.

[​IMG]

a four year project, every nut and bolt, all Chevrolet steel.

[​IMG]

bought this to fix up and sell, 20 years ago. still have it. factory 455

[​IMG]
  13. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

WOW, nice cars!
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Photography is the only other thing I love to do as much as shooting guns.
  15. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Horses mainly. Can't afford much else with them critters around.
  16. Airdale

Airdale Member

Horse Racing, look at most of the races run in the U.S. everyday ('puter helps me do that). Bet very few of them.

Shooting and most recently building my own. Boy is that $300 dollar Stevens getting exspensive:eek:

Reloading, so I can afford the shooting.
  17. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome jphipps. Reading your list of hobbies made me realize I left out a few. I also enjoy back packing and gardening.

Thanks for sharing your story about your step-dad. What part of Ohio were you from originaly from?
  18. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I wish but no the 82 was a limited V6. The 86 is gutted out for parts had salvage title. The 85 is just a plan Regal V6 (center shift) all original with 74,000 miles on her. Had to rebuild the front. Payed $500.00 for it. The kid smacked a Deer. The 82/86 are now the project in the garage. It will have a Olds.350 Rocket from 1968 Gold block in it. Its a total frame off resto/street rod project. I hope in the future to have a GN! But i just have a thing for the Regal's. Just love the body style. I dont care if its a plan Regal or a GNX I will stare at it any time or day of the week.:D Have to say i do like the Monties as well,but not a big fan of the Cutlass. But any old "G" body was a good car!
  19. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

In addition to hunting, fishing and reloading, I do a lot of metal detecting. I also live on a cattle farm so we raise beef cattle as well as gardening.
  20. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i would like to do some metal detecting