Your life now?

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

sherry
    (2/1/02 8:46:48 pm)
    Reply Your life now?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions for all of you.How are you now? So many years after the war, how do you cope with the things that you went through?
    thanks,
    Sherry

Edited by: sherry at: 2/3/02 8:48:08 pm

SixTGunr
    (2/2/02 12:16:45 am)
    Reply Re: Your life now?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glad to see you again here sherry. My ... This is somewhat of a tuff question and I am sure that this post will receive various answers. I'll have to take a wee bit of time to gather my thoughts together on this one and will get back with an answer for you here shortly. Though it was a long time ago it seems as though it was only yesterday. Some things you remember well and others you don't and sometimes you simply can't. I'm confident I can come up with some type of answer for ya soon. Best put on my thinkin' cap here. Have a great evening! Six
    "It's a whole other ballgame when the target is shootin' back"

berto64
    (2/2/02 12:20:58 am)

Re: Your life now?
    Ya hit the nail on the head, six.
    Sherry, I'll try and organize some thoughts on this and get back to you.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

hope6970
    (2/2/02 1:27:27 am)
    Sherry, I don't quite understand what you are asking....are you asking how we feel now, as to what, healthwise? or am I reading your post wrong?.....as to that coping, hey fellas you have any ideas as to how we do this? It has been awhile and I have been told that I have those Senior Moments and what I remember isn't worth it.

I will also do some thinking on this and will see what I can come up with. hang in there Sherry.

thanks for asking - Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (2/2/02 6:22:13 am)
    Good Morning "Sherry". I must tell you, that I have done a bit of interviewing in my long and eventful life, and I seem to sense that your questions are designed for leading us into an interesting topic for
    discussion. Old Yogi Bera, the renouned Yankee catcher, stated very diplomatically "IT'S DEJEVUE ALL OVER AGAIN", or so it seems. Seems as if someone so young as yourself, would voice a different type question to old warriors---something seems amiss or out of place here. Forgive me, if this sensing is out of order---I had to ask to ascertain ground rules before responding to so profound a question. wilborn

SixTGunr
    (2/2/02 11:53:55 am)
    Theres no doubt that the Vietnam Conflict affected each and every one that was there. IMO this will reflect on each individual in different ways. You have to take into consideration that there were different occupational status', areas of operation, conditions, combat / non combat experiences (both good and bad), length of the tour(s) and even which year(s) one had served there. Though each of us that were there were left with memories that have been burned into our hearts and minds forever I would think that as individuals we will each have our own perspective on what we had experienced and how it had affected our lives .... before, during and after Vietnam. YUP! This is a tuffy ..... I do however applaud you sherry for your inquisitive mind and the fact that you care enough to remember those that served in this conflict and take the time to express your concern and thankfulness. I'm still thinkin' here .... Have a great day!
    "It's a whole other ballgame when the target is shootin' back"

berto64
    (2/3/02 4:46:54 pm)

Re: Your life now?
    Sherry,
    Not having known much about life other than home, school,
    and friends before enlisting in '68 I can only comment on my life 'after' my time in service.
    I missed out on a lot of help when I returned from 3 tours of duty in SE Asia. I didn't want anything to do with the gov't in any way shape or form, and by having this attitude,
    I lost my GI Bill benefits for education and it took me a
    very long time to get around to receiving my VA medical benefits.
    After some serious bouts with alcohol and drugs, I am now 15 yrs clean and sober and do really enjoy being alive.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

sherry
    (2/3/02 5:06:41 pm)
    Thank you Berto and Six and Hope thank you for at least trying to find an answer..I'm sorry I didn't realize what I had asked was so hard for you to answer..Berto Thank you, that was what I wanted to here... that your glad to be alive and your life is good..that the things that happened to you didn't beat you, Thank you so much for sharing that with me. Now, Wilborn I don't understand what you were trying to say...do you think that someone as young as myself can't care about how you feel If that's what you think..your wrong. I do care. If I'm taking what you said the wrong way I'm Sorry. Let me say before I go, If this question is too hard for you to answer right now, please don't even try I understand.
    Thanks again,
    Sherry

Edited by: sherry at: 2/3/02 8:46:59 pm

blackguns
    (2/3/02 9:46:17 pm)
    Hi Sherry! I enlisted in 65 and TDY'ed to Nam in 66 at the age of 18. At that young tender age we had to mature quite rapidly. Things happened, both good and bad that became a part of our lives that helped us to appreciate the gift of life and how precious it is. After returning to the States in 67, I joined the Law Enforcement community where I still serve today. I'm proud to have served so someone else may not have had to see the events some of us did. I'm thankful to be given the gift of life and I take everyday one day at a time and thank God for each one he allows me to have!

Regards
    BG

sherry
    (2/4/02 9:05:26 am)
    Thank you BG as I said to Berto that was what I wanted to hear. You all went through so many bad things and you were so young..... After everything thing that has happened to you, it's good to know that you can still enjoy life. Thanks for answering the question.
    Have a good day
    Sherry