Your longest fast? (and other thoughts)

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by Crpdeth, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Just wondering how long you've gone, whether it was for spiritual reasons or not...

I know that it is a very healthy thing to do, if nothing else but to cleanse the body of all the toxins from processed foods these days.

One of my favorite diets has always been to cut off eating after 3:00pm, many times cutting it off after lunch - and like fasting, it's amazing how after a given time your body stops craving things.

I always noticed though, that any time I really wanted God's attention, all I had to do was step outside my comfort zone. God created me and he knows that I love to hang out in the kitchen cooking and preparing a nice meal, so fasting was always a big one for me.

Additionally, I have NEVER set my alarm for midnight, drug myself out of bed and settled in for prayer without witnessing his power... God loves action, he loves sacrifice in his name and he knew that I wanted to turn that alarm off and go back to sleep.

Some people fast in other ways, my sister is a Facebook junkie, like many of us, she loves keeping up with the family, joking around and having fun on there, so she will turn the computer off for a month occasionally. My Dad is a coffee fiend, so he will forgo the java for awhile.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble, maybe we can get a few subjects out of it. :~)
  2. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:eek: its been a while since i fasted. ya know, i was actually thinking about this 2 or 3 days ago... interesting that you made this post!

my "normal" fast is giving up food for 24 hours. for me, that's a tough 1 & i struggle with it.

1 time i did cut out something for a week, i believe it was colas, i can't remember. :eek: i'd never done that type of fast before & actually called it a fast & i haven't done it since & called it a fast either. to me, it just doesn't feel like a fast.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have also engaged in fasting for spiritual reasons - usually skipping all food for one day, making it around 30 hours or so -

On two occasions I have fasted for three full days.

The first one was when I told the LDS missionaries that I had not felt the "burning in the bosom" when I read the Book of Mormon. They suggested that I read it again while fasting, and I did so.

The second one was also in Alaska, and was not for spiritual reasons. During the flood, I scrounged all the food I could find, and when it ran low I quit eating to extend the period of time that my wife and daughter could eat. That was when the Red Cross showed up and offered to sell - (YES, SELL!!) - food to us. Luckily, the Salvation Army was there also and GAVE us what we needed, preventing me from doing something that would have surely ended up with me being arrested and jailed. By that time, Judy had quit eating also, preserving the last bit for our daughter.
    And this bunch of scum STILL tries to deny they ever do this, in SPITE of having hundreds of witnesses to it in multiple disaster areas.
  4. Dan Newberry

Dan Newberry New Member

I did my Thursday study on fasting a couple of weeks ago...

There's some lady on youtube showing video of her daily 40 day fast. Of course according to Jesus, she already has her reward (her sought notoriety and approval from others).

Jesus has told us not to let others know when we are fasting. Matthew 6:

16Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

When we fast, it can be for part of a day, or for a whole day, or for a number of days. Since we are not supposed to let others know that we are fasting, I believe a 40 day fast for most of us would be unbiblical (folks would certainly know you were fasting, or at least strongly suspect you were ill). :eek:

Scheduled or routine fasts don't seem to be advised in the Bible (for Christians anyway)... the only mention in the New Testament I found was of the Pharisee who piously proclaimed "I fast twice a week."

We fast when we are burdened for something or someone... fasting is indeed a way of proving to God--and to yourself--that you can overcome the desires of the flesh long enough to seek His face in solemnity. We know that fasting does seem to add an urgency to your prayers, and perhaps a sincerity to your prayers that may not be there otherwise.

But I do think that the Holy Spirit must prompt you to fast, I don't think it's something we can choose the timing and number of hours or days of ourselves...

Dan
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. red14

red14 Active Member

Interesting subject.

OK, I have a question. What, exactly, does constitute a fast.
    Only water, or beverages, no meat, is there a distinction???
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sounds like the Lent of old.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Red, people define a fast in different ways.

I personally define it as a time of intaking only water, nothing else.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

48 hours was my longest, only coffee and water, broke that fast with a Sams Club hot dog and it was the best hot dog i ever tasted :)

i did this for spiritual reasons... used to fast 1 day per week, for 24+ hours, did this for about a year... it was very beneficial as it makes your spirit much more sensitive to the Spirit of God within (if you are a Christian), and that is why I did this because I wanted to be more sensitive to God and closer to Him, and to learn how to experience His indwelling presence...
  9. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i dont stick to just water, mainly bc i get hypoglycemic.

ya know... now that i think about it, i'm quite selfish w/ my coffee. :eek: i've never given it up during a fast.:eek:

red ~ a fast can vary. for me, i give up food, i usually don't eat from the time i wake up 1 morning til i wake up the next. that's just how i do it.

& i have decided after i woke up to fast that day, but generally i know its coming for a day or 2 beforehand.

its 1 of those things that i think should be prayed over.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Dan

An interesting post indeed, in fact the scripture you quoted was in the back of my mind while creating the thread... I wondered if I should even finish it because with that scripture in mind, we may actually be "getting our reward" right here, for many past sacrifices. Intriguing thought!

I have to disagree though, that the Holy Spirit would have to urge you to fast, I mean, it seems to me that although it could, there is nothing wrong with making the conscience decision to do so... At least I don't recall ever reading anything supporting that idea.

Red

In my opinion, it would be anything that causes you to step outside your comfort zone... Food of course, but there are those who just can't go without eating, for medical reasons (Like my twin and like Rosie) and another good point to make would be those who just don't feel like they are making a sacrifice because they don't seem to crave food all that much... That's why I brought up the alternative ideas. Hey, God is pretty smart, he knows if I am just dieing to partake in a beloved activity, but swear it off for a couple weeks in his name.
  11. Dan Newberry

Dan Newberry New Member

Crpdeth... thanks for the comments... I think you're right, that we can choose to fast (just like we choose to pray).

I can't believe I phrased that the way I did. :eek: I stand corrected...

I guess I based what I said on my own experience... I know that when I've personally chosen to fast, it has never been as rewarding as when I felt that still small voice call me to do so.

That all said, I should not impugn someone who does make the decision, of their own volition, to fast and seek God.

Thanks for calling me on that. ;)

Dan
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Not so much these days, as circles of friends and human nature
    has progressed into the politically correctness of our times.......
    but I used to fast at least twice a month and do a sweat lodge
    while fasting.
    Never a date and time set for it.......just did it whenever.
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I'm enjoying reading these responses... Thank you, folks.

Dan, I do hear what you're saying though, and recall, much like Rosie said, that many times I "felt it coming" days in advance, but then of course there would be the impromptu (Granny just went into the hospital) fasts.

Anyway, good to have you here. :)
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here. I have found that after that 3rd day, you don't experience hunger. I consider all fasting to be for spiritual reasons, and guidance. I was talking to my brother just the other day about this. We are both diabetics, and I was wondering how fasting would effect us. It has been a while since I last fasted. We don't attend Church anymore on a regular basis due to my wifes inability to do so, and I have been feeling the need lately.
  15. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I believe there are different kinds of "fasts". In short, fasting is dening yourself (of something IMPORTANT) in order to honor God.

The imortant thing is you "fast" in order to become closer to God by using the "time" of your fast to worship & honor HIM. (In other words, when you would otherwise be spending time doing whatever your fasting from, spend that "same" time doing something that honors God.)

We can learn more about what God recognizes as an honorable & "righteous" fast in the book of Isaiah:

-
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012