YOUR PAPERS PLEASE....

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Shizamus, May 20, 2003.

1. Shizamus

Shizamus New Member

It Can Happen Here, and Already Has
    by Douglas Bruce, May 8, 2003

I recently tried to attend a meeting of the new city council at City Hall. A security guard told me I must sign in and show photo ID. I declined, noting this was a public meeting. He raced over to block the elevator door, then called for "back-up." (Call 911--thinking man at large!)

The budget director came over and said, "Hello, Mr. Bruce." I then noted to the security guard that my identity was known. Of course, logic doesn't matter to zombies -- rules are rules. Your tax dollars at work. In fact, security guards could not distinguish a fake ID from a rhinoceros. I have also signed "A. Lincoln" without detection at our police stations, where this patently useless and illegal sign-in paranoia began last year.

Then CSPD officer Adams came over. He said, "Hi, Doug." I said hello, then asked if I could now go to the meeting. No dice. I went to the other side. Officer Adams had raced over there and blocked me again. During both episodes, prominent public citizens entered and meekly obeyed this new order like sheep. Officer Adams said the policy was started recently by our city manager, Lorne Kramer, who, significantly, is our former police chief. Officer Adams was "just following orders." Hmm, wasn't that the Nuremburg defense?

So I left and drove to Denver to testify at a committee meeting at the state capitol, where there is no security guard, no sign-in, no photo ID, no metal detector, and no problem.

The classic hallmark of a police state is the ability of armed police to stop citizens and to demand to see their identity papers. Standard World War II movies show Nazis doing just that. You may scoff, "It can't happen here," but it is happening, today, in our city.

Apart from revealing a dangerously statist mentality, the absurdity is that everyone knew me, but mindlessly demanded photo ID anyway. Does Mr. Kramer really think our city council is high on al-Qaeda's hit list? That Grandma is a threat? With no body search or metal detector, a suicide bomber could show ID, real or fake, and go right in anyway.

Government has no right to arbitrarily track our movements. Did our troops fight in the desert abroad so that we could "line up for the showers" at home? When did one unelected bureaucrat in the executive branch seize the power to legislate citizen behavior in violation of the constitutional doctrines of checks and balances and separation of powers?

All actions taken by the city council while this policy is in effect are void because they were not passed at a lawful public meeting. Meetings required by law to be public are not lawful or public if citizens are prevented from attending, or ordered to surrender their Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure in order to exercise their First Amendment rights peaceably to assemble and to petition the government.

Our so-called conservative council claims to encourage citizen involvement. But people should not trust a government that does not trust the people. The council ought to join Mr. Kramer, the city attorney, and all other city employees at an all-day seminar on the U.S. Constitution. I doubt any of them has read it, even though they mechanically mumbled an oath to uphold it. I would gladly provide each of them with a copy. I'll even underline the best parts--"We the People" and the Bill of Rights -- if that will help them grasp who works for whom in America.

Douglas Bruce is the author of the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights.

TURNED IN MY GUNS, ALL I GOT WERE THESE CRUMMY LEG-IRONS!

Real talk radio(if you dare): www.gcnlive.com

www.prisonplanet.com
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Good point, Shizamus.

In this day and age, it is pretty much illegal for you to travel anywhere without your identification. You cannot function in society today without proving who you are several times a day.

I saw a segment on television last night where they are starting to use optical scanners at an elementary school. It's just like something out of a sci-fi horror movie. Next thing you know, we'll all have to give DNA samples to leave our houses.

This kind of thing gets worse and worse every day. Every single day, somewhere in America, someone loses a little bit of liberty. Collectively, we are losing our American way of life. And our nation sits by and watches it happen.

I hate to sound like Chicken Little, but the sky really is falling. It's only a matter of time now before our nation crumbles under its own weight. As a nation, we're broke. We have lost many of our international friends, and nobody trusts us any more. We don't even trust ourselves. We are being forced into subservience like sheep to the slaughter.

The funny thing is, our definition of "police state" keeps changing. If you described today's society to someone who lived 100 years ago, they would probably say that we're living in a police state. But we don't see it. We keep saying "it's coming", but we don't realize it's already here.
  3. Shizamus

Shizamus New Member

4. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

POSTSCRIPT:
    "Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg Trials April 18, 1946

what was that line "doomed to repeat it"
    Last edited: May 20, 2003
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Sounds like my law partner of forty plus years ago.

He was the Director of Public Safety back then and taught criminal law in law school. He always said that a Driver License was nonsense as Identification since most did not even look at it.

To illustrate, he always told a true story as follows: He had one printed out for him with a gorilla in the picture, DOB 45 June 935, hgt 1'13", wgt 2946 lbs, hair blue, eyes none. And since he was a cabinet member, he was allowed to have a low number on his real license, so he had 13, the lowest available at the time.

He went to a meeting, that even back then, was closed and gave his current license as an ID card. The security guard refused to accept it since the number on the license was not a 7-digit number customarily seen. When this happened, he presented the doctored up version and the man waved him on into the meeting.

BYW, stupidity was not limited to a security guard. He was refused his true DL at the Bellas Hess store when paying with a check because the DL number was too short but the checker happily wrote all the data down from the fake license without blinking an eye and accepted the check based on it!

Goes to show, forty years later, idiots or narrow minded people are just as stupid........
    Last edited: May 20, 2003