Your perfect battery of firearms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Jun 15, 2007.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

A mind is a terrible thing to waste!:eek:
    So I was using mine to try and come up with the perfect battery of firearms for the average person.
    I often wonder if I have enough or to many or the right ones.
    I hunt some folks don't. I am some what of a survivalist but not crazy! :D
    We all have different taste in firearms and will never agree on all subjects.
    I am going to post my list so you can have someplace to
    start from and either tear mine apart or build your own list.

Ron's Perfect Battery of Firearms

SHOTGUNS
    12 gauge with a three inch chamber (I prefer a pump)
    20 Gauge with a three inch chamber (I prefer a pump)
    Yes one would do but I think two is a must

HANDGUNS
    Rim Fire (I prefer the 22 long rifle and in a DA. revolver)
    Center fire revolver (I prefer a DA. 357 or 44 magnum over all others)
    Auto Pistol (Here I am a 45 ACP man and I prefer the 1911A1 over all others)

RIFLES
    Rim Fire (I prefer the 22 Long Rifle again)
    Center Fire,
    (My choice would be a 30 caliber either in 30-06 or 300 Winchester Magnum)

Now that means the bear minimum is seven guns! My battery would be a minimum of 14
    I would also have to included a few spares in my Battery
    (1 shot gun, 2 pistols & 1 each Rim fire & center fire rifle)
    and two magazine feed center fire riles, just because I may one day need them!!

What would your list look like?
  2. Not a bad list at all, Ron. I, for one, could certainly live with it without any qualms. However, since we are dreaming a bit, here would be my choices:

Scatterguns:
    I would choose at least two just as you would, Ron, one in 12 and one in 20, and both would be pumps. Given my druthers though, I would also add a good 12 gauge double SxS as well, preferably with a 20 inch barrel.

Handguns:
    A good .22 auto, probably a Ruger Mark II or Mark III, and preferably with a bull barrel.

A .22 revolver should definitely not be left out. My choice would be an S&W Mod 617 in stainless steel with a 6" barrel.

For an automatic, I would also want a .45 1911 pattern pistol available, but also a good auto in 9mm, probably a Glock 26, or possibly, a small-frame H&K.

For a revolver, I would also want at least two. One would be a K-frame .38/.357 with a 3 or 4" barrel, preferably a Smith. The other would be a Smith 29 or 629 in .44 magnum with a 6" or even longer barrel. If at all possible, I would also want a snubbie in .38 Special, likely a Smith 37 or an alloy frame637. Hard to beat a snubbie for concealed carry with light clothing, I think.

For a rifle, the choices become a bit harder. I would definitely want a bolt action, scoped, Remington 700 in .30-06. I would also choose a good lever action, like the Marlin 95, in .45-70, with iron sights, preferably of the aperture type. I like peep sights. :D If I could have one more heavy caliber rifle, I think it would be a bolt action in .375 H&H, preferably one built on a Mauser action. For a .22, I would likely go with a Ruger 10/22 with a scope, and/or a Marlin lever with iron sights.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Too late........:p

For me, it would somewhat depend on whether we are talking a SHTF scenario, or just to have around the house. (almost one in the same) I take into consideration how many different kinds of ammo you would have to have, as well as what would be available if it’s a SHTF scenario. Scoped or open sights, whichever you are comfortable with. I won’t get into brand names, as everyone has their own favorites.

Shotguns;
    I will stick to one gauge here. 12ga. A short barreled (legal) semi-auto, with at least an 8 round capacity, capable of firing slugs. Then an over-under for a little more range, and some trap or skeet shooting fun. You can throw in a pump if you have a mind to.

Handguns;
    I have to go with a few here. A revolver and a semi-auto in 22lr. At least one revolver in 357. Then you need to have a 9mm AND a 45.

Rifles;
    A bolt action and a semi-auto 22 “fun guns” are a must. (I can’t seem to hang onto a bolt action 22, keep giving them away :eek: )
    If you hunt, or are looking at longer ranges, a bolt action 30.06 would be on the shelf. (A .270 or .308 could be substituted here) An AR format, and/or an AK - SKS would round out my rifles.

Oops, was there a limit?
  4. tireman

tireman Member

shotguns---smith 12 ga pump 20 inch and a remington model 11 in 20 ga

hanguns hk compact 45 smith model 28 4 inch glock model 19---and a beretta tomcat for my pocket

rifles marlin lever in 35 rem and of course a ruger 10-22 and a stevens single shot lever action .22 i think this would do for me!!!!
  5. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

My bare bones list for hunting only. These are what I think I need just to hunt everything I can get a permit for.

Shotguns: -12ga. pump. For upland game including bunnies over a dog, also for seabirds like murre.
    -10ga. pump. For duck and goose.

Rifles: -Bolt action, .223 or .22-250 for coyote.
    -Bolt action, 7mm. Rem Mag or .270 for caribou.
    -Bolt action, .303 or .308 for moose.
    -Semi-auto, .22lr for squirrel and rabbits without a dog.

These are just for hunting and I could either expand or contract the list by having specific brush or open terrain rifles or by using a shotgun/slug combo for other situations.
  6. Oh, Ron, I forgot one:

[​IMG]

Along with a good supply of these:

[​IMG]

Just in case we get invaded by rampaging tyrannasauruses or wooly mammoths with an attitude. :D ;) :p