Your states laws on CC and alcohol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RunningOnMT, Mar 4, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

In Ohio you are prohibitted from concealed carry in any place serving alcoholic beverages. This precludes you from carrying while having dinner with the family at most restaurants whether you are drinking or not. I was just curious how common this law is in other states.
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

It's the same here in SC but the SC Grassroots Gun Rights organization is trying to push a law through the State Legislature to change this. It's pretty annoying having to leave your gun in the car just for dinner, at MOST restaurants. :(
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

In Michigan, you cannot carry in "taverns where the primary source of revenue is the sale of alcohol by the glass for consumption on the premises," but regular restaurants are OK. I know that lots of restaurants make the majority of their money on alcohol, but I don't think they would necessarily qualify as taverns, since taverns are not allowed to let children in.
    I couldn't find anything about it in Indiana law, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Makes sense Josh, sine MI has some of the most stringent DUI laws in the country. You also get to display a pretty license plate that says you have been convicted of DUI in the past as part of MI's laws. I'd say that's good reason for folks to limit their consumption and keep the restaurants pleasant. :D
  5. durk

durk Active Member

This is the same as Oklahoma. I don't go to taverns/bars so it doesn't matter to me.:)
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

In Washington State the only limitation I know of is you cannot carry concealed into a business that 'has been deemed by the liquor control board to be 21 and over only'. Though slightly silly (I could go to Red Robin and plan to get **** faced, and carry... or I could go to a BAR as a designated driver and be prohibited from carrying) it is pretty cool that this is our only restriction. None of those "you can't carry in movie theaters" type restrictions I have heard of.

That being said, I only know of this law thanks to Pops I believe :D. My dad asked around his squad and they knew of no restrictions in Washington state, merely emphasizing the role of common sense:confused:.
  7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

In Texas they have to get 51% of business serving alcohol, must post sign
    accordingly. If you're carrying it would be best not to be caught drinking,
    but you can eat in a place that gets less than 51% from alcohol. this is
    my understanding.
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

In Colorado you can go into any place with alcohol, while carrying. Restaurant, liquor store, or bar. But, you may not be under the "influence" of intoxicating liquor. There is a difference of opinion on what "under the influence" means. It has been argued between CCW holders, but as far as I know, not by the courts.......yet.
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

My CCW permit regs said 0.05 BAC while carrying would be I think 6 months suspended and require new application process/fees to be renewed.
  10. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I dont believe that there is a law like that in N.C. But i also havn't checked ;).
    And if they ask why I have a .45 I say I'm a government agent(which is kind of true :() and I am following someone in the WPP.
  11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

There is a law for that here in NC. You cannot carry concealed or open into any place of business where alcohol is served for consumption on premesis. You also cannot carry concealed (even while holding a valid CHP) if you have ANY alcohol in your system. By law, once you take the very first drink, you lose your right to carry concealed until the alcohol is completelt out of your system.
  12. Quite true, Pick. In fact, I looked into this question. The law is clear that you cannot be "under the influence," but it doesn't specify what that means precisely. If the standard for DUI is applied, it would be a BAC of .08, but the law pertaining to firearms carry does not say that specifically. One officer I spoke with said that it is essentially up to the officer to decide, which is a kind of scary thought. :eek: As for myself, if I'm carrying, I simply won't drink, period, not even a beer.
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Tennessee: as of today, can't legally carry in any place 'serving'. However, something is in the works in Nashville that would allow in 'serving' restaurants before 11 p/m.