your thought's on blue dot for 45 acp!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by horsepowder, Mar 12, 2005.

1. horsepowder

horsepowder New Member

well i recently purchased the p97 last year.And only shot a small amount threw it.450 round's to be exact.(win)230 gr. FMJ RN.
    I'm just starting in reloading.I recently bought some berry 200gr (plated) hp's
    And some blue dot powder,some (cci 300 LP.primers)(P.charge 10.2 gr.)(C.length:.898)(OAL.1.180)tapper crimp to.470
    havn't had time to make it to the range to test this load out. Work is putting
    a damper on my shooting for now.

I would like to know what your thought's on this combo are!

Thank's for your reply's!!!
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, where do I start. First of all, Blue Dot was designed for magnum heavy loads in a shotgun. Not really a 45ACP powder type. Second, you are a beginning reloader by your own admission. According to my Lymans 47th, this is a MAX load. Since you have not worked up the load in your own gun by dropping 5 or 10% and working up from there, I vote that you are on the dangerous side. So, the pressure in your firearm will be about 17,500 psi. Not overly great, but you never know about an individual weapon. The Ruger will more than likely take it, but why batter a good gun.

Most of us around here like WW231 or Bullseye powder for a .45ACP. Good luck. Let us know how it shoots.

I would adjust the taper crimp to .469.

By the way, welcome to TFF!
  3. horsepowder

horsepowder New Member

inplanotx:
    well i read your reply,And am sorry for the short discription.

I found my info on the"alliant powder" mfg. site for my load's on
    the 45 ACP. load data. There data :
    powder charge:Blue dot at:10.2-10.6 case L. .898 OAL.1.180
    bullet: 200 gr.JHP Gas pressure:19,500.

Do you think this load is to much for the pistol I'm shooting,And what do you
    think about? JHP's verses plated HP's!
    tapper crimp or standard crimp?

I have both the factory crimp die and the standard crimp die.

what would you refer?

thank's for your reply.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The 45ACP is meant to be in the 16-18,000 psi. So starting with a max load that generates >19,000 is dangerous. Again, Blue Dot was meant and developed for Magnum Heavy Shot SHOTGUN reloading (read the label on the can). However, I have used it in 44 Mag loads with success. I only use WW231 as it is quicker burning and gives the right pressure curves at HALF the dosage of Blue Dot! Several people here load a 200 gr LSWC with from 4.8 to 5.5 gr of 231. This means we can get twice the loads for the same amount of powder. I would bet that if you take that load out at night, the muzzle flash would be 25 feet from the muzzle. How to go blind with one shot! My Lyman 47th lists your load as a MAX load. What was the case that Alliant used and what type of barrel did they use? Those two things should answer your questions.

You should never roll crimp a cartridge that headspaces on the case MOUTH! I know that there are those out there who do, but inexperience can cause you to crimp too much and cause headspace problem in your firearm causing FTFire because the case will be pushed too far into the chamber and will not be hit by the firing pin. Taper crimp to .469".

Blue Dot, Red Dot and Green Dot are mainly shotshell powders. I have listed them in the burning rate from slowest to fastest.
  5. verdejt

verdejt New Member

I just loaded some .45 ACP myself using about 5.6gr of Unique and a 230gr bullet. I haven't had the chance to chrono this out so I'm not sure what the speed is. I've been reloading for a few years now and I use a couple of powders. Win231, Unique and about to try Hodgdon HP38 with load data of 5.2gr of powder with a 230gr bullet. It should be about 810fps. As posted earlier if your new to reloading do yourself a favor and whatever load you see posted always reduce by at least 5% or the best is 10-15%. Why add extra wear and tear on your weapon if all your doing is punching holes and developing your shooting mechanics. Reloading is very dangerous if done improperly or carelessly. Discussion boards like this one are great for sounding out various load data. Chances are somebody has tried it already and can give you some good advice. Welcome to reloading!! :)
  6. horsepowder

horsepowder New Member

Well guy's I here what your saying,And Am going to hold off on the powder
    blue dot for now.
    I do have some loaded.here's what i got.

case: winchester case Lenght: .898 OAL. 1.190
    primer CCI 300
    powder charge by weight: 9.2 gr. (blue dot) - 9.5 gr. (blue dot)
    bullet's 200 gr. berry's mfg.
    tapper crimped .470
    end.

Alliant powder mfg. web site .45 ACP
    test barrel:5"
    case type: not shown
    bullet 200 gr. JHP
    powder charge 10.6 (blue dot) max.
    OAL.1.180 min. max. NO detail's
    primer FED 150
    chamber pressure at 10.6 gr. max load 19,500

This is what they list for this load.Includeing red dot,green dot .So on! So on!

I'm not trying to push any thing.this is just what they list on the web.
    I went to a gun show today and picked up the lyman 47th. anniversary book.
    And RCBS reloading book.I was suprised at the load diffrence for the book's,and the web.Well I guess i 'll stick with what you guy's are telling me,And keep it in the safe zone.

I sure don't want to blow my self up or worse. Thank's guy's you been alot
    of help. :) :) :)
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  7. verdejt

verdejt New Member

I'm glad that you got yourself some load books and are willing to heed the advice of other reloaders. More often than not most people start off reloading with bad habits and unfortunately get hurt or worse killed. Never start off with a published load always start off less and work up to it. Good luck and have fun reloading.
  8. horsepowder

horsepowder New Member

sorry guess!!!
    I didn't mention that they recommended to reduce 10%-15%. my Bad!
    And the lyman book i bought was the 48th edition.Not the 47th edition

alliant powder mfg.
    the load's they list for .45 ACP start's at 10.2-10.6 max.

but I got the celculater out, And reduced 10.6 gr.'s by 15%.And come up with 9.0gr. to start with.With what "verdejt" suggestted.

now! do i increase by 1/10 of a gran till i reach the best accurancy with the type of load/bullet I'm shooting? :confused:

or can go 2/10 of a gran to reach close to my max. accuracy.

useing a cabela's digital scale

what is the beef with the plastic powder dispencer? static electricity! or some thing else.Because i noticed the powder sticking to it my self.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Now, go back and read what Alliant REALLY said. It said, reduce MAX charge by 10%.

So, you have a MAX charge of 10.6 gr. Ten percent of that is 1.06gr or rounded to 1.1gr. So starting load should be 9.5 gr.

Yes, work up in one tenth grain increments to see where the best accuracy comes in. It might even come in closer to the starting load. I have very rarely seen max loads equal the most accurate loads.

Exactly! Get some dry graphite and rub some in the pan all over and it should stop it. Or, you can order an aluminum pan from MidwayUSA.

Another trick is TurtleWax car wax. Rub it in the pan, let dry thoroughly and buff off. TurtleWax is also good for the inside and outside of 45 magazines. Makes cleaning the dust from the inside easy when you shoot competitively. Also keeps them from rusting and they fall out of the mag well slicker than snot!
  10. horsepowder

horsepowder New Member

got the wax out and going to do some buffing. thank's for the info.
  11. power-strings.com

power-strings.com New Member

Horsepowder, A while back I used those same berry bullets with the same 10.2grn of blue dot in my 1911 and it seemed to do okay but then I switched over to bullseye and it was a lot better. It didn't seem to be as dirty from what I remember. I have some blue dot left that I plan to try with some 200grn lswc's shortly.

Good luck to you. Reloading is a journey.