your used brass connection

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Chadk, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Chadk

Chadk New Member

looking for your suggestion for some 9mm used brass. Possibly .380 also for starters.
    Just looking for 500+ or so to get me started. I certainly hope on picking up some range brass as well.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Google® "once fired brass", you'll find lots of vendors. Check with a local range, you'll often find range pick ups for sale. I wouldn't pay any more than $40 per 1000 for 9mm, 380 can be a bit harder to find and a bit pricier too.
  3. rmorgan9718

rmorgan9718 New Member

depending on where you live, sometimes craigs list in sporting, and search 'reloading' will get you to locals who have brass/reloading supplies for sale.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

scrounge at an indoor range if possible or just buy a 1000 pack of once fired mixed headstamp stuff online or gunshow to stay on the cheap. Otherwise, I would recommend just buying a case of 9mm loaded ammo that way you know it's once fired (and you get to do the once firing) and it's all the same manufacturer. 9mm reloadable can be had fairly cheap.

try ammoseek.com to shop the entire web from one site.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if you get range brass.. plan on cleaning it extra well.

i ultra sonic clean as well as vibro clean.. some of the range brass gets pretty junky..
  6. soundguy

ditto on some cheap 9mm.

shoot it.. then use it.. then you know it's history.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Chadk :

Suppose you reload and go to the range. You find that finally after many reloads your brass is in need of replacement. So you just leave it on the ground for some unknowing scrounger to pickup and attempt to reload. There is no better ways to get crummy brass than to use range pickup brass. Some may be good and only once fired. Some will be aluminum or even steel cased. The aluminum brass is not reloadable and the steel may hurt your sizing die and is for all practical and safety reasons not reloadable, nor intended to be. Some might be Berdan primed and sure to break a depriming pin in the sizing die and for all practical purposes not reloadable. Range pickup brass is risky and in my opinion not worth the trouble.

Once fired brass from a know good source is a good option but I prefer to buy new brass and use it over and over again for decades. I have some that is 25 years old and been reloaded at least a dozen or more times. I have most certainly got my use out of it. I buy Remington or Winchester because that is what my source sells. I have some Starline brass that is good too.

LDBennett
  8. Chadk

Chadk New Member

That would certainly be great, but at any indoor range i'd shoot at in this are, there would be no way to keep track of "your" brass. I am planning on purchasing some. I am just starting so I am not certain of the sellers "reputation" but they are a regular on the forum so I am assuming they'd have been run off by now if they were selling crap. I'm sure I'll do some range pick-ups too, and will obviously have to be careful during the sortation process.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

10. soundguy

I'm a brass 'batch' segregator.

I keep brass batches seperate. cleaning seperate.. etc. I even keep brass bags marked as to what gun they are fired in.

I keep my batches marked for the number of reloads.

I inspect while cleaning and depriming / sizing, trimming.

I do the same with batches of range brass.

I sort it by what I feel it's condition is.

sure.. a good deal of it gets tossed as soon as it comes out of the tumbler.

at least on necked rifle brass.. it's usually easy to tell 1 fire from amny fires looking at mout trim profile.. extractor marks.. wear ont he head stamp.. etc..

iven if you have 60-75% toss / trash rate.. that 25-40% is free. given the cost of brass.. all you loose is some tumbler time and electricity.

for reloading on a budget.. small injection of free brass is nice. even if it only gets a single relaod or maybee 2. it drops your average 'brass' total cost for your hobby by measureable points.

just my .02 anyway..