Youth 22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jason0025, Dec 22, 2010.

1. jason0025

jason0025 New Member

Looking to get a youth 22 for my son. Any suggestions on particular makes or models?
  2. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How much do you want to spend? What type action? Do you want a "youth sized" gun or is the youth old enough to handle a full sized rifle?
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to me a new shooter,especially a young one should srart out with a single shot.i think its safer and makes the beginner take more time to shoot.try keystone sporting arms www.crickett.com chk out what they have.i would also chk out marlin for a youth rifle. old semperfi
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I just went through this process in getting a "youth" rifle for two of my grandkids.

I laid the Crickett on the counter of the gun store along side of the CZ 452 Scout. Both are youth models but the Crickett's action and barrel are tiny. The CZ has a youth stock with a normal sized 22 receiver and barrel. The CZ is heavier but that matters little if the kids are going to shoot off the bench on a rest. The CZ has a magazine but can be loaded singly if desired. The Crickett is a single shot only and the firing pin has to be coked by hand for each shot. Most young kids do not have the strength to cock the firing pin. That may be better for a young learning shooter but will grow old fast for an older kid.

Just as with kid's clothes, kids grow out of guns. The Crickett would very soon be grown out of. With the CZ you can get an after market or CZ full sized stock for it and the kid can keep it for the rest of his or her life. The Crickett would not be gun a teenager would want to shoot.

LDBennett
  5. 22shot

22shot New Member

I think it should be a bolt action; single shot or clip..

Semi-autos are more "fun" .22's.

THe Chipmunk .22 has a pretty crappy action; in my opinion.
  6. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like he isn't checking our responces.
  7. jason0025

jason0025 New Member

I went to a local store here and they had a rossi .410 with an interchangeable 22 barrel. How do you guys think that would do?
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I think that would be the perfect gun right there! The .410 and the .22 and he might not out grow something like that. With the "smaller" type of .22's out there, I wouldnt think you'd want to buy something that would be set aside in a few years.
  9. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I agree with LD, the CZ 452 scout is a great youth starter rifle, and if taken care of will last a lifetime.
  10. brookes_husband

brookes_husband New Member

Have to agree with Zane... I actually purchased two of these on the same day for my sons for christmas last year... Even though I replaced them with marlin upgrades this year they still love them and the .410 barrel is great for getting rid of the small varmits around the house...