Youth bolter

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by AceofSpades, May 25, 2003.

1. AceofSpades

AceofSpades New Member

hi, my 12 year-old son wants a bolt-action rifle he can shoot deer with. what is a good calibre to use? the guy at bass pro shops suggested .243. he also suggested the remington model 7 youth, what are your experiences with this gun?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

First off, welcome to TFF.

How big of a boy is your son? If he can handle a .243 he should be able to handle a .270. Others here might disagree, but the 270 is a shade better caliber, (in my opinion.) You might consider getting him a full size rifle. Then have a gunsmith measure your son, and cut down the stock to fit him. That way when he gets older (and bigger) you could either buy a new stock for the rifle, or get a composite stock for it. Which is usually cheaper than a whole new rifle when he outgrows the “youth” model, which might happen quicker than you think.

Sorry, no experience with the youth models.
  3. steelshooter

steelshooter New Member

You might want to consider a Savage. I’ve started a son out deer hunting with a Savage chambered in .243, it was a model 110 and worked out very nicely. One nice thing about the Savage is that your not going to get all worked up about a few hunting dings that are put in the rifle over the years. Something else to consider if you choose to cut down the stock, a new Savage stock isn't ’going to break the bank.

I’m a big fan of the .243 for deer but I do know there is quite a few that think it runs a bit on the light side. The 270 is an outstanding round, you might want to consider the 7mm08 as well.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Oh and I’m not a big youth gun kinda guy. They do grow up REALLY FAST:(
  4. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to TFF Ace and Steel,
    I would have to agree that the 270 would be a better round if you son is large enuf to handle the recoil.Also I agree that a full size rifle would be a better option and then you could restock later when needed. I bought my 12 yr old daugher an NEF single shot break action in 280 for her first rifle and she gets along nicley with it, however she is a tall girl with a big frame. Now with all of this expert advice you need to go out and do what you want to do!
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Ace and Steelshooter.....and welcome to TFF.

I like Steelshooter's advice. A Savage 110 in .243 sounds like a good choice.

Unless you shoot really large deer at long ranges, the .243 should be more than adequate....and the recoil is fairly mild.

The Savage 110 is a quality rifle and at a very reasonable price, so you can cut the stock down (if necessary), and restock when he grows a bit......and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.