The Firearms Forum banner

yugo m57 c&r legality question

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
on a gun blog i read there is a pretty thick debate going on about the m57

at least a couple dealers are backing away from them and say they can't be proven 50ys old based on sn.

another group is saying you can date them by proof marks. ie. 5 torch proof mark vs 6 torch proof mark that happened 50ys ago. ie. 5 torch marked guns were made before the 6 torch proof came in to existance 50ys ago.. and are thus 50+ ys old and cr.

at least 3 of the big retailers.. not sure if i can mention names here.. but 3 common c7r retialers sold them ( sold out? ) for a few days as cr. someone has said ( who? ) that a small lot was imported and passed by atf inspectors as to being cr at import.

anyone know more?

#2 ·
Not familiar with the Yugo model but I have gone round and round with different dealers and retailers...some will just not deal with C&Rs. Mostly cause they don't know what is and what isn't classified as such. They play it safe and have you go through the "normal" FFL transfer process. Doesn't make sense but that's whats out there.

#3 ·
Ya know, ive thought about this for a long time, but never really put it into words - this is just a prime example of what is wrong with government agencies, and especially the ATF, BATF, BATFE, whatever the vegie soup is these days, since they seem to have to keep reinventing themselves to even be relevant. These clowns WORK FOR US. Legislators WORK FOR US. WE THE PEOPLE are the bottom line, NOT the self-important pogues. These morons at ATF need to make a precise, specific decision, and within a specific timetable or ANY TRANSACTIONS that fall outside of their interpretations of their own regulations should be approved de facto. I really get tired of firearms in particular being treated like some diseased wild animal by these senseless underachievers that feed off of our wallets while doing next to nothing productive. Of course, the ATF, like the IRS and the Dept of Ed should be eliminated any how, but thats another argument. Its on PURPOSE that these pogues refuse to make decisions; they WANT the power/ability to screw with those they want to screw with, while leaving others who have stronger political clout alone. If its identical to something manufactured prior to the C&R cutoff, then it should be a C&R but that makes too much sense. If an SAA made in 1897 is an antique, but one made in 1899 isnt then its just a prime example of whats wrong with the whole firearms regulation bullship system. Sorry, but I just had to vent, because reading things like this where some morons who are essentially useless individuals, refusing to do their jobs, causes such idiotic confusion, makes me angry at where our, OUR government has gone.

#5 ·
The firearm must be over 50 years old, and you have to be able to show that by published SN ranges, or it must be in the BATF listing, and the M57 is not, one or the other. So, unless it can be clearly proven to be over 50 years old, it won't be considered a C&R gun. Sorry but that's the best I can do.

#6 · (Edited)
Not necessarily true. My CZ82 was made late sixties and I've owned it a few years.

C&R requirements

1. Firearms manufactured more than 50 years prior to the current date, not including replicas
  2. Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum that exhibits firearms as curios or relics of museum interest
  3. Any other firearms that derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category requires evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.
As long as it's in the ATF's Firearms Curio Or Relics list (ATF Publication 5300.11) they're good to go. The fifty year thing just means it's automatically a C&R if it's that old.

CZ82's are classed C&R even though not fifty years old. Yugo M57's are NOT on the list and cannot be sold as a C&R. Kind of funny since a Yugo SKS is C&R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.