Yugo mod 98 mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by group17, Oct 14, 2011.

1. group17

group17 New Member

Looking for a ball park price on a yugo mod 98/ 8mm mauser my dad left me.
    All the serial numbers are the same.

[​IMG]
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

About 1 1/2 years ago, a 1/2 dozen of these showed up at the gun shop where I worked. They were tagged at $350 and sold out pretty quickly. They were in very good condition and reportedly were very good shooters. I would think in today's market, the tag price may have risen a bit, maybe to $375 - $400. Accessories (bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, oiler) would add some more value. Prices quoted are RETAIL - selling to a dealer will realize about 60% of that - private sale will depend upon what the purchaser is willing to pay.
  3. grcsat

grcsat Member

The going price in the northern states is $400. in very good cond.
    Also Marstar has them for $479 in exel. con.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Do you have the bayonet that goes with it. If not and if you are interested drop me a line. I have 3 bayonets here for the model 98 / yugo 48. I have 2 that are german and 1 that is yugo made. Look the rifle over real good to see if there are any German markings on it. If so then you have a captured rifle and that brings the price up a little more due to the fact that it is a numbers matching capture (These are harder to find cuz most captured rifles are mis matched). If not then you have a yugo MFG rifle and the price is somewhat lower. Another way to tell the guns age is look on the wooden barrel cover towards the muzzle. Take the wooden piece off and there is gonna be 3 numbers burned into the wood. On most of the German 98's these numbers represent the run and year of manufacture. For instance on mine I have 341 burned into the wood. This represents 3rd run in the year 1941. This date is a ballpark date cuz the wooden stocks were not made for each indevidule rifle but instead made in bulk. But is will tell you if the stock is period correct or post war.