Yugo SKS cycling problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by nygunnut34, Apr 21, 2012.

1. nygunnut34

nygunnut34 New Member

My Yugo shoots fine and cycles fine for a couple of shots and then short fires meaning when pull the trigger it functions but it doesnt strike the primer with enough force it set off the shell. I unload the misfired shell and works again then does the same thing. Is this a bolt issue or just needing a new firing pin?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

Is this a new gun? If yours is like many of them, the firing pin channel is full of grease which can cause the firing pin to slow down enough to not fire the round. Take the bolt out and clean the firing pin and firing pin channel. It should sit loose in the bolt. If its sticky and slow to move, it needs to be cleaned out. Do not re-grease it. Put some light oil on it and re-assemble.
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

In addition to the above, make sure to clean the chamber as there may be "residue" built up. Some of the lacquer coated ammo can deposit the coating in the chamber and the rifle may be failing to go completely into battery once this gets hot and sticky alter firing a few rounds.
  4. nygunnut34

nygunnut34 New Member

Mine is a barrelle reciever that I put together from parts. When I first got it I did just that. I tore the bolt apart and cleaned it out. I will try recleaning the chamber. I use wolf ammo so that may be it. I will recheck the firing pin as well.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

If yours is a parts gun then checking the head space may be in order. If its to far out, the firing pin can't reach the primer fully and can cause dangerous situations with heads seperating on the shells.
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Listen to Helix_FR.

If your "parts gun" has grossly excessive headspace it will continue to misfire and is potentially dangerous; ESPECIALLY TO YOUR EYES! I have seen one man loose his right eye to a ruptured rifle case.

You seem not to have checked the head-space after assembling the rifle. Doing so require a set of special gauges or knowledge of a not recommended, high skill, technique that I am not going to try to describe here.

Few persons who do not have formal training or significant vocational experience working on rifles even know the correct way to use headspace gauges.

I advise taking the gun to a shop that does enough work on this type firearm to actually have a set of headspace gauges and know how to use them.

Be safe, not sorry.
  7. nygunnut34

nygunnut34 New Member

Took the bolt apart again today and low and behold a piece of primer comes out. Popped Primers were the problem. Now to get that all fixed.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

AN INDICATION OF GROSSLY EXCESS HEADSPACE.

I sincerely advise getting the rifle looked at by someone with significant professional experience headspacing these rifles!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012