Yugo's drying up"

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Terry G, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I bought several M48's at a local chain store for $112.00 each. Nice guns, after I cleaned the cosmoline off. Bought a couple SKS's also, another good deal. I went back today and they had more, cheaper, but not the same quality. The manager, a really nice guy, said the boom was over, he did not forsee anymore good Yugoslavian guns hitting the market. Any opinions?
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

That's the word I'm getting as well. The major suppliers are just about out of them.

I haven't heard any rumors about more shipments. It's possible that we may see another small spurt of Yugos, if a shipment comes in. But I doubt it will happen.
  3. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Seems i made the right move getting mine ASAP maybe i should grab another before they are all gone? That's an excuse if i ever heard one ! :D
  4. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

It kind of ebbs & flows I think...supposedly the swedish mausers are drying up too...but you can always find one if you want to pay the going rate. I agree that the really nice yugos are stiffening up...look at the press Mitchell's mauers is getting...you can jump on the net to any of a dozen guys and get the same thing for half the money or less. But we have a capatalist system and he is certainly entitled to make a buck or two.
    Wonder if it will jump the price of the turkish mausers up too?

swede
  5. NEtracker

NEtracker New Member

I picked up one M48 more than a year back. Nice rifle.
    Have heard that dealers are now working off what is in-country.
    Local price is $209 with bayo & access.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  6. orangechief

orangechief New Member

I have ended up with 3 Yugo M48's in the past year, all for different reasons and all were in very different conditions and came from 3 different places. The first was strickly to create a custom rifle doing most of the work myself. Bought it at a gun show last March for $110, all matching numbers but no accys or bayonet. Once I got past the gobs of cosmoline, there was a great bore on that gun, but it was not new by any means, lots of tool marks and age on the metal all over. The stock was well worn and had many scuffs and marks. I used only the guts with the intentions of turning it into a great .243 and it has proved to become a great feat and more $ than expected with lots of 98 large ring parts not fitting the intermediate action. Completely refinished every pc of the gun I intended to use and they all look really good. It will turn out in the end to be a really nice gun, but currently it is having the finishing touches done at a local gunsmith (more $). Not what I expected it to be, but I have yet to put my hand on the finished product so I can't say I am disappointed yet. I did get lots of enjoyment by putting time into learning about the M48 from muzzle to butt and tearing it down to every pin and screw. With my left over M48 parts, I figured I could get a fixer-upper and rework it to make a really nice or practical (or both) M48.

My second M48 was purchased in mid-summer from a gun shop that had bought a whole crate of them and had one that arrived with a busted stock. I bought the barreled action for $50. It had a horrible bore, but great metal. I ended up taking the barrel from the first Yugo and put it on this one, took the scuffed stock from the first and cut it down and did a little reforming and lots of refinishing, making it a little more sporterized with no top hand guard piece. I have been using it for a knock-around gun to carry behind the seat in the truck for a backup hunting rifle. It has turned out to be a great shooter and I love the fact that I have literally nothing in it. I am currently tooling up to reload 8x57 so I can use it for some deer next season and get the full potential of the caliber. I love this gun and would not trade or sell it for anything - best $50 I have ever put into a gun.

The third M48 fell in my lap completely. My father-in-law needed more space in his big safe for his Sako's, Tikka's, and Garand's, so he traded the M48 to me at Thanksgiving for a couple of boxes of .30-06 ammo because it was not as pretty as the rest of his toys. I was glad to take it of his hands. It was all matching numbers with great metal on the outside, but a questionable bore and the same scuffed and marred wood I got on my first M48. I decided to refinsh the stock and try to make a really nice looking gun out of, even if the bore was too poor to get good groups out of. A little oven cleaner, lots of sand paper and time, and Birchwood Casey stain has made it look marvelous. It easily went from a $125 gun to a $150+ gun with the bore the way it is and gave me a really nice feeling of accomplishment. I hope to sell it next week at the local gun show for at least $150 so i can continue to feed my firearms habit.

I have said all of that to say this, M48s may not be out there everywhere by the crate full any longer, but they can be found all kinds of places in various conditions and prices with a little effort. I have gotten more enjoyment fiddling around with my M48's over the past year than messing with all of the other 10 long guns I own put together. Very economical and fun - everybody should have at least 3.
  7. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Orangechief...your a man after my own heart...

swede
  8. orangechief

orangechief New Member

Just got back my new .243 from the M48 that had been at the gunsmith and put it back together. It looks great! However, after the bolt handle had been adjusted and formed to allow for scope clearence, I needed to relieve some wood to get the bolt to fully close. Like a dumba**, I did a nice hatchet-job while rasping and popped the outside of the stock next to the bolt handle in two places. My finishing touches look awful. What a great way to treat a new gun. It is a Boyd's walnut stock, nothing special, and I did not break the bank getting it, but it still hurt my feelings. Other than my mistakes, the gun is very nice and I must say I was impressed with the outcome. The old military receiver and bolt cleaned up very well and it definitely resembles a custom rifle. I can't wait to shoot it. I may break down and buy a new, nicer stock and this time let somebdy fit it who knows what their doing. I hate to have put all the time and $ into it and it not come out right.

One thing that does bother me, (other than the botched stock,) is the bolt seems extra difficult to pull up to cock the gun. I had my wife try it just to see if I was nit-picking, and she could hardly pull it up to cock it. Does the firing pin spring just have too much tension making bolt operation difficult? Should I look into getting a new spring that has less tension or is it just something I have to live with? I want the pin to have plenty of pop, but man, it seems excessive.
  9. merc

merc New Member

OC
    your project gun sounds like a job and a half. Seems like someone else is doing the work though and you are not having any fun with it.
    I hope you will put up some pics.
    The tinkering with the other 2 is just what I like to do.
    your sporterizing does make it no longer C&R, but like you said, the M48 is a neat rifle to play around with and the 8mm is a fine cartridge.
    good luck