Yugoslavian SKS

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by dge479, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dge479

dge479 New Member

I bought an unissued Yugo SKS at Allentown PA today. All complete and as close to new as I could want. Great deal as well.
    There were some very good deals as well to be had. then threre were some Pirates there as well. I never got the jack the price up, sell nothing and bring it home thing. I see the same crap in the old car world too. Whatever, In any event it was a good day. Even found some resonably priced ammo.
  2. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

wow sks is awesome this may sound dumb but can you out optics on them?
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

You can mount an optic on an SKS, but not a stock one. A competent gunsmith can add a mount.

There is another option though... My brother had a Norinco (Chinese) SKS that he wanted to mount a scope on. We purchased a new receiver cover that had a rail machined into the top. It replaced the existing cover. It fit just a little tight when we mounted it, but worked like a charm and only cost about $30. I think we got it off eBay (it was several years ago) but I'm sure they can still be found.
  4. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Thats awesome! With that rail system could you put a dot scope on it, i know that sounds crazy but it would be interesting lol
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

2 options I know of for a good scope mount on the SKS:

Choate Scope Mount- tap and drill receiver
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=435151

Scout Scope- mounts onto sight platform
    http://161.58.206.244/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=scoutscopes&Category_Code=skscope

I recently faced this same decision and went with the Choate mount with a Weaver 3 x 9 and Warne rings. Scout mount is ideal for red dot or holigraphic optics.... need an intermediate or long eye relief scope for use with scout option.

Also, I have heard many times the same point John makes about the receiver cover mount. Consensus is that sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't hold zero.

Enjoy your rifle. :)
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

This is true. I had the receiver mount on my yugo. At first it was OK but as I shot more and more the looser the receiver cover got so the more and more the zero wandered. I think by the time I sold it the zero wandered more than a homeless man. SKS's are great guns but mounting a scope on one is futile. Scopes are for more of a precision shot. SKS's are not the proper gun to deliver that. You have to get a compact scope that clears the bolt or the ejecting brass will beat the hell out of it. You have to mount the scope far enough forward so you don't blacken your eye. The comb on the stocks are two low to even shoot comfortably with a scope. I addressed all these things. I bought a nice compact scope, milled the rail with some extra slots so I can put the scope in a nice place with plenty of relief, custom made a adjustable comb and shimmed the cover to eliminate movement and wandering zero and it still shot just OK. Even reloaded ammo it was only shooting 3 in groups. So no tack driver they are. More for just spraying lead down range.
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

+1 on the Choate mount. it means drilling and tapping the reciever but mine never loses zero now.
  8. phx gun owner

phx gun owner New Member

Congrats !! I wish i would have kept mine .
  9. dge479

dge479 New Member

I will take pics. there is a red dot scope on it
  10. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

ohh awesome haha thanks man
  11. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

The problem with reciever cover scope mounts on the sks is that the bolt beats the hell out of the cover, which is definitely NOT good for the zero. A recoil buffer will help out alot. Also, the handguard located on the gas tube is an ideal place for a scout scope. You can purchase a new, gas tube w/ railed plastic handguard from Tapco or possibly mount a rail on the stock handguard with short wood screws and a small amount of epoxy to keep them from loosening. I haven't tried this but mounting the scope on the handguard would move it away from the pounding recoil from the bolt. However, nothing short of a custom match grade barrel and welding the reciever cover to the reciever will make the sks a tack driver...and don't get me started on the 7.62x39 round....I say, stick with the iron sights and leave the long range shooting to a different firearm.
  12. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

A pic of my Yugo back from the Gunsmith I opted for the a drill and tap side Mount and installed a cheap shell deflector that attaches to the open sight,,not a 100% sure the first shot won,t blow it right off but we,ll see the scope is a cheapie but good enough for now

Attached Files:

13. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Just got back from the range,, the shell defector actually stayed on ,,,the sight was really off ,,I asked the G-smith to bore sight it but he said he could,nt because of the grenade launcher on the Muzzle,,don,t know if he was janking my chain ,,any way it was way right and shot high,,managed to get it on paper and next week i,ll fine tune
  14. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

I just finished my Yugo SKS the way I wanted it. I may get flamed but I took a new unissued SKS 59/66 and made it to suit me. I got rid of the bayonet, GL and cut the barrel down to about 3/4 in front of the FSB. I have a reciever cover mount compact scope that works well, very well but now shown in these pics. I kept my flip up night sights, I have done the drop free bolt modification for when I want to use removable magazines. I have a 40 round Pro Mag that works flawlessly but is a bit much ( big). I intend to get the TAPCO 20 rounder soon. Here we go I will attempt to post pictures.
    Hi Fast Forward, check out the oil finish I did.
    wayne

Attached Files:

15. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

More pics

Attached Files: