zastava m57/ tokarev 7.62x25

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by oscarmayer, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I put a Hogue Slip on over the Factory grip and the M-88 feels better ,,I,m now using it for Carry,,as far as a spare take down clip I.ve looked some and can,t find one either,,,let me know if you have any luck
  2. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I have a cz-82 in 9x18 and absolutely love it.I bought the Hornady critical defense rounds and they are 95 gr and 1000fps at muzzle.In wet phone book and homemade gel the hornady mushroom perfectly and silver bear performs almost as well.I bought some wolf but it does not feed at all with too many fails so I stay away from it.The silver bear is nicle plated cases just like the Hornady and performs flawlessly.I been wanting a TT33 as it is a really hot round.I like the thinness of the frame and it seems like it is just a commie version of a 1911.J&G Sales has them in there C&R sectionwith pretty good prices.
  4. class3jb

class3jb New Member

I just got a model 57 Yugo from Dan's Sporting goods. it's in great shape. I believe a very early gun. Serial number is 04XX with no letter prefix. As near as I can tell the safety was retro fitted and the barrel's matching serial number is electric penciled in. The bore looks brand new and the gun is very accurate. The slide appears to have a six flame crest. My guess it's a re-built gun. Any educated guesses out there?
  5. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Does it look look the one in the Above Picture
  6. class3jb

class3jb New Member

Close, same grips sewrial number a bit forward. I think the giveaway in the electric pencil etched serial number on the barrel. Your thoughts?
  7. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Mine has the same Numbers on the Barrel as it has on the frame and reciever,,also when you pull it apart you may find the same numbers on the trigger group,,,was does it mean,,,it means the rebuilder thought it was a good idea to keep the parts together,while rebuilding,re fitting parts from the original means less of a fitting problem,,after a rebuild,if you look real close to the pic of the Yugo in the pic above you can see the same numbers on the barrel,,my Nagant,,,SKS and M88A all have Numbers Matching
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. class3jb

class3jb New Member

Thanks for the help. I bought the gun as a shooter and it does that very well so I would rather have a gun with a new barrel than a "correct" orginal one thats been shot out. I love surplus guns!
  9. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Are you Aware that the Chinese made the same Pistol but with a 9mm Barrel,,that interchangeable with the 7.62
  10. class3jb

class3jb New Member

Yes thank you. Had one years ago when I had my FFL. Interesting gun but it went down the road to someone who needed a cheap reliable gun. I have 5 9mm handguns and thats more than enough.I bought the m57 solely for the caliber and I felt out of all the guns available the M57 was the best, especially since spare magizines are now plentyful and Im told that tons of ammo will be comming over soon. BTW in your opinion which country has the best surplus ammo?
  11. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

Welcome Class 3. I also got my M57 for the powerful Tokarev round it uses. I have a 9mm barrel for mine but tried it once and never went back.
    There has been some real questionable surplus ammo that had split cases, unusual fire balls coming out of the muzzle and some other problems. I think the bad stuff I had was Bulgarian. You may want to look back at some earlier posts and see what was going on. I still have some of the cheaper surplus and with it being corrosive and not that cheap I have started just using modern ammo. Have fun with the M57, it is a lot of gun for the money.
    wayne
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. JoshWithrow

JoshWithrow New Member

Wayne,

My m57 shoots low and left (about 6" left, 9" low @ 15 yds) and I noticed that you had a similar experience. How did you correct this? Also, this is with wolf gold. Its all that ive shot thru it.

Thanks!
  13. waynescyclegarage

Josh, First welcome to the forum, there is lots of nice knowledgeable people here. Most right handed shooters tend to shoot low and left from natural pull of the trigger. I would first get used to the gun and make sure your trigger pull is smooth etc.
    After all that my ( like new ) M57 was still shooting left so I took a brass punch and drifted the rear sight to the right a tiny bit and on first try got it to shoot dead on center. As far a shooting low some of that seemed to change after I started hitting center but it also is something you need to adjust your front sight bead from low to high depending on the range to the target. Every gun will be a little different, as my P64 shoots low at about 15 yards so I raise the front sight a little in the rear notch to compensate.
    Have fun, the M57 Tok is still one of my favorites, as far as the brand of ammo I have not noticed much difference in POI with any except some poor quality, inconsistant old corrosive stuff.
    let us know how it works out after a bit more shooting. By the way my rear sight ended up a little off center to the right to be dead on.
    wayne
  14. JoshWithrow

JoshWithrow New Member

My front sight is already to the left, rear to the right. I'll bump the rear sight some more. The only other "modification" I am going to do is to paint the front & rear sights with some bright dots or something because those sights are hard to line up lol.

Even with it not hitting POA, I am extremely happy with the purchase. Very inexpensive firearm, but alot of fun to shoot! The only thing that could make it more fun would be to be able to hit the can's I'm aiming for ;)

My next move(s) are to get my C&R, and then I've been looking at a Nagant Revolver.

Anyway, I'll work on the fundamentals alittle more next time I'm at the range. May make a minor adjustment or two.

Thanks for the response, I look forward to many meaningful conversations :)

Attached Files:

• tok.jpg
      tok.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
  15. waynescyclegarage

I did put white dots on both sights, I got lucky, they look factory and work great. I just used "Testors?" model enamel paint and they are tough, so for no oils or cleaning chemicals, and handling have affected them. I will see if I can get up some pics later. The others here may be interested also.
    I got a lot of help from with mine here and really got me past the rough spots.
    I have a 4 digit ser# 5 torch M57 that had never been issued from SOG. at that time it came with extra mag, nice thick tan leather holster,cleaning rod etc.
    wayne