“The Fizzies incident”

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Well-Known Member Staff Member

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/26/02 9:14:55 pm)
    “The Fizzies incident”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many of us have run into people who were natural jokesters…. or were constantly playing practical jokes on their friends …and SOMETIMES their enemies…this is that kind of story….

A particularly miserable mission was coming to a close… but several elements had not been pulled out yet…

And that made them VERY vulnerable to being hit by small bands of VC & VNA..

And my little team was one of them…. but this isn’t about my team this time… it is about Mike Tappens team…

Now… Mike had been in AIT with Rundles & I… but he had been assigned to the 82nd ABN… so now we had all sorts of competitions going on and over the last few months contact with one another sometimes got to be a little hairy…but nothing dangerous…..

Anyway…we were in contact with Mike & his team; and they were in contact with a small element of VC….

We had defeated our adversaries and they were going the other direction, so we were ordered to go and support his team and go with them to the extraction point….

We meet up with them at the edge of a small clearing and after exchanging amenities we start to lead the way out… to the extraction point…

Right then… we start receiving some indirect mortar fire and small arms from our left flank….

We can see the extraction point up ahead and I can hear the chops inbound…Heuys have a VERY distinctive thump thump thump to them….

As we reach the point and set up a defensive perimeter… Mike and half of his team are no longer behind us…and we now have a bunch in between him and us….all I can do is try the radio, he is real close so there is now way that he could not hear me….

“BREAK BREAK CAN YOU FIGHT YOUR WAY OUT? OR DO WE COME BACK??…OVER”

“MIKE??….ANSWER MIKE…MIKE? MIKE??”… no sence in staying with protocol now…

We start to chip away at the bunch in between us and they start to melt away too because they now can hear the chops coming…

But still no Mike…….aaaahhh damn……we think they may not make it….

The chops are down… and a small security element waves us in

“MOVE…MOVE…NOW DAMNIT…”

But Rundles and I start back…..

“GODDAMNIT GET BACK HERE” shouts someone…..we are to intent on going back for them….

Just then…. Mike comes running out of the bush followed by three of his team….

I don’t get a change to say anything to him… they just high-tail it for the chops…

So we follow…..and mount up…..the bird thumps and little heavier and starts to rise and gives you that almost slow motion feeling you get during the first few seconds of lift-off…..

We are away…….everyone is here…

And Mike and his boys are laughing like LOON’s…

What the hell??

“MIKE…WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ON YOUR BLOUSE??”….I yell over the roar of the bird and the wind…..looking at some sort of purple shit …. It almost looks like foam or vomit…BUT PURPLE….

And then I can see that the guys that were with him have the same stuff on THEM……..what the hell??

Well.. they drink a lot of water and relax as the bird takes us home….

When we land… it is off to the de-briefing tent….when we are finished, we are outside and relax from cleaning up by smoking…. Long…luxurious puffs of heady smoke….

AAAhhhh NOTHING settles the adrenaline like nicotine…..except maybe sex but considering where we are at the moment… cigarettes will have to do..

“OK… what happened??”

“Well… we got stopped by one or two of them and that held us up for a moment, we saw that they we VC & not NVA “

“SO what”?? I ask…”what has that got to do with it?”

“well… they are superstitious”

“Again…SO WHAT??”

“We put Fizzies in our mouths and let it foam up…. then as they charged us we stood up and emptied everything we had at them and started yelling….and foaming at the mouth and …well…. it freaked the living shit out of them and they ran”

I shut up….. I have never heard of ANYTHING so ludicrous in my life…..

But HEY… if it fikkin’ worked!!!……then it was a good plan…

I think that the 82nd somehow warped the boy …. But I’m not really stable either…

Out…..

Esse Quam Videri

Edited by: Mithrandir at: 4/26/02 10:18:56 pm

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/6/02 1:35:53 pm)
    Re: “The Fizzies incident”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know whether to laugh like hell at that........... or just be scared that there are people that, uummm, different out there!!!

Seriously, as you said, "if it frikkin' worked!"