The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Absolutely. It will handle alot heavier loads than that.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
AHH...Not so fast! You say 55 grain bullets in a fast twist 223? There can be a problem.

A fast twist like 1 in 7 is meant for longer heavy bullets in the 70 grain class (69, 75,77, etc). They need that fast of a twist rate to stabilize in flight. When you shoot the lighter weight bullets in them the centrifugal force from the rate of spin can literally explode the bullets before they get to the target.

It all depends on the quality of the bullet and what it was designed to withstand in RPM's. Hunting bullets are not a good choices but Varmint bullets might be. Only testing them will prove it one way or the other.

This is not my theory but my experience. I have a 1 in 8 AR in which I tried to use hunting 55 grain bullets. They literally never made it to the target in one piece. Slowing them down helped but changing to a Varmint bullet helped more. The accuracy did not anywhere match what the gun would do with the heavier bullets designed for the faster twist rate. Using 55 grain bullets was a waste of time and reloading components for me and my gun.

LDBennett

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
My son reloads and bought 10k of inert 62gr tracer-they are much longer than 855s-in his 1/7-he gets 3/4" groups...exact same load in 1/9-lucky to get under 2" and some keyhole at 100yds....I'm just shoot bolt guns and have 2 6.5 wildcats that are identical except for barrel twist,the difference in groups is very noticeable with 140gr bullets.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
AHH...Not so fast! You say 55 grain bullets in a fast twist 223? There can be a problem.

A fast twist like 1 in 7 is meant for longer heavy bullets in the 70 grain class (69, 75,77, etc). They need that fast of a twist rate to stabilize in flight. When you shoot the lighter weight bullets in them the centrifugal force from the rate of spin can literally explode the bullets before they get to the target.

It all depends on the quality of the bullet and what it was designed to withstand in RPM's. Hunting bullets are not a good choices but Varmint bullets might be. Only testing them will prove it one way or the other.

This is not my theory but my experience. I have a 1 in 8 AR in which I tried to use hunting 55 grain bullets. They literally never made it to the target in one piece. Slowing them down helped but changing to a Varmint bullet helped more. The accuracy did not anywhere match what the gun would do with the heavier bullets designed for the faster twist rate. Using 55 grain bullets was a waste of time and reloading components for me and my gun.

LDBennett
These are problems I have never experienced...

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
The ability of light bullets to survive the fast twist is a function of how well they are made. Just because they come from a name manufacturer is not enough. They have to be designed and made to survive the fast twist. Run of the mill hunting bullet may or may not be. Lighter varmint bullets have a better chance. Only testing will prove it one way another. 1 in 7 or 8 twist barrels were made to shoot longer heavier bullets. Why not go with them rather then waste time finding out that your lighter bullet of choice will not work? There are some very good bullets in the 60 to 80 grain range. But be careful to make sure they will fit in the magazine of the gun when loaded to nominal OAL.

Don't kiss off this problem! It is real and it happened to me at only 1 in 8 twist. Even if you get the lighter bullets to survive, their accuracy will probably not match that of the longer heavier bullets, in most cases.

LDBennett

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
That was an issue in decades past when bullets were not made as well as they are today. Rest assured any currently manufactured .224 projectile has been engineered with 7 twist barrels in mind. If the ammo has been made within the last 20 years they should shoot just fine.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
I have a very accurate 7 twist 223. It shoots like crap fmj. However you put in vmax and it is pinpoint.

I can attest to the rounds breaking up too. Seen it happen before. Many years ago.

Good info here

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Years ago? How about Speer #1035 52 gr (not 55 gr as I first posted) in the last 5 years. And in a 1 in 8 twist. The 1 in 7 or 8 barrels were designed for longer heavier bullets. Why not shoot ammo for the gun rather than ammo for a different barrel twist? But nothing beats an experiment. When it happened to me I had no idea it was possible or what happened... just an empty target. If it happens to you, you at least will have heard about it from me and can make the appropriate changes.

LDBennett

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I ordered my PSA 20" upper with a 1/7

I shoot mostly 60gr Vmax but have loaded and shot hundreds of 55 gr SP, FMJ, and HP and have had zero probelms with it

·
Registered
380 Posts
Can't add anything but I shoot a AR and a bolt, both 1/9 and haven't had any disappearing bullets, just misses. I'm old, can't see.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have several AR's, 1x7 & 1x9 and shoot 52 & 69 grain with both twists. As people have written before, different barrels will like different bullet weights or types of bullets. Buy or load different weight and types of bullets and see what's best for your particular rifle.

I believe the current M4's used by the military have the 1x7 and use 62 grain M855 cartdidges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts