1 Frogman rescues 152 Army soldiers from the 3rd and 60th inf. 69' before Tet Offensive. Remember??

Discussion in 'VMBB Find Your Nam Friends' started by HooyaHostetter26, Aug 19, 2016.

1. HooyaHostetter26

HooyaHostetter26 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm doing a search on my father's behalf looking for anyone who remembers the events I'm about to address.

Here's the story:

Sometime before the Tet offensive of 1969 a patrol of 153 Army soldiers from the 3rd and 60th discovered an encampment of approx 1,500 NVA. The patrol was spotted and were attempting to make their way to Da Nang bay for exfil but ran into boobie traps along the trail. 1 KIA and 2 wounded in an tripwire explosion. Their Captain Radioed for assistance and one Frogman (my dad) came to their aid. He made his way up the trail disarming the tripwires and uncovering the punji pits. Once he arrived at the patrol he told the Capt. where to go and was given the dead mans M16 and he stayed back to cover the men as they walked the approx 200yds to the bay where the PT boats were waiting. He says there were about 15 boats along the beach.
    My dad says the time of day was between 2 and 4pm. It was a sunny day. Up river from Da Nang Military base. This happened about 1 or 2 weeks before Tet (Feb 1969). He was with UDT 13 attached to a Tango118 River boat with Mobile Riverine Force. The mission of the guys in the 3rd and 60th was to Check the NVA buildup for the Tet Offensive. My fathers name is David Hostetter (My name is Also David Hostetter by the way).

That is all the info I have. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hooya!

David Hostetter
    SBT-12 USNSW
    SWCC Class 60