The Firearms Forum banner

10 / 22 recoil buffer

11K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  tymbrewolf 
#1 ·
what is the best recoil buffer?

#2 · (Edited)
I use the Volquartsen buffer because it came with a bunch of other VQ parts that I put in my 10/22 like the Target Hammer, Auto. Bolt release, Extended Mag. Release and Exact Edge Extractor. The buffer makes the 10/22 shoot so much more smoothly than with the factory steel one. I don't know that it really does anything to enhance the accuracy or performance of the rifle, but it sure makes it shoot nice.

Along with the VQ buffer, look at the "Tuffer Buffer" as well. There are other good brands, but I can't think of them off hand.

#3 ·
Please pardon my ignorance, but WHY did anyone bother to design a 'recoil buffer' for a .22 semi auto rifle? In all honesty, I've never fired a .22 rimfire rifle with a 'recoil buffer', so maybe there is something positive to be said for such a thing. I've fired numerous .22 rifles in competition, and recoil was never an even a remote issue with accuracy or shooting sessions.

Snake, those other parts you mentioned all seem to have merrit for the 10-22. The factory mag release - at least on the earlier models - is pathetic. I never understood why Ruger didn't improve that on factory models. Also, the auto bolt release should have been a factory part.

#4 · (Edited)
Please pardon my ignorance, but WHY did anyone bother to design a 'recoil buffer' for a .22 semi auto rifle? In all honesty, I've never fired a .22 rimfire rifle with a 'recoil buffer', so maybe there is something positive to be said for such a thing. I've fired numerous .22 rifles in competition, and recoil was never an even a remote issue with accuracy or shooting sessions.

Snake, those other parts you mentioned all seem to have merrit for the 10-22. The factory mag release - at least on the earlier models - is pathetic. I never understood why Ruger didn't improve that on factory models. Also, the auto bolt release should have been a factory part.
Jim, the replacement buffer has little benefit other than to smooth out the firing. The factory buffer is steel and comes into contact with the bolt on its backward stroke. By using a softer material in the replacement buffers, it takes out the metal to metal contact causing a nice smooth stroke. I have a classic 1969 10/22 that is unmodified and a 2008 custom that has all the inards switched out to Volquartsen. You can definitely tell a difference in firing the two with the same ammo. The soft replacement buffer also quiets the action. With the soft buffer the action is almost silent.

The factory bolt lock and release requires a manual action down by the trigger for both locking back and then releasing the bolt. It is often very difficult to get the factory switch to release. The Volquartsen Auto. Bolt Release works the same as the factory for locking back the bolt into the hold-open position, but allows the user to release the bolt by simply snapping back on the bolt handle and quickly releasing it. It makes the whole operation much quicker and easier.

Ruger finally figured out to put an extended mag. release on their 10/22's recently after years & years of hearing people complain about the old style flush design. :cool:

#5 ·
Thanks - this makes a little more sense. I suppose that in the end that a recoil buffer might enhance the performance of the Ruger's bolt cycleing. Some of the after-market things that people come up with for the Ruger 10-22 amaze me that anyone would want to either make or buy them. Sort of like someone coming up with a bayonet mount for a 10-22. I'm sure that somewhere out there somebody makes one - but why?

#8 ·
I have a charger pistol. I am enjoying it alot. However, I plan to do some trigger work for quick off hand shooting. For $10, if I can reduce the noise a little all the while reducing recoil a hair, why not. As for R&D, the steel pin I am sure is cheaper to mass produce I suppose. Why did it take them 20 years to put a decent mag release? Why don't they have an easy bolt release? Why have a hard creeping trigger? Why have barrel band? Safety and bottom line would likely be the answers here. In any case, promag, yellowjacket, tufferbuffer and VQ seem to be likely candidates. I just wondered if there was a consensus on the best one for reliablility, shear strength, and cycle functioning. Or even better, is there any one to avoid? I have had a few 22 pistols and a 1/2 dozen 22 rifles now. Just messing with a winter project. I think ruger missed the boat with the charger marketing for bench shooting only. The blackhawk knoxx stock and no bipod is a hoot.

#9 ·
Exactly, there are no issues with the gun, it just works. 1911s work and AR15s work, people just like a improve and tinker with things. If Ruger took the time and effort to make an out-of-the-box-tack-driver, it would cost as much as the Remington and Browning .22s.

#12 ·
On the other side of cost, if you were mass producing these improved parts, they would likely add very little to the cost of the gun. In some ways, I like having the goofy bolt release as a safety feature for a child. I also like the long hard trigger for little jumpy hands. As an adult that has been in the business of carrying a duty weapon for 25 years, there are some things that I have been accustomed to in a Glock pistol that I would like to have in my charger. I akin the bolt release to the slide release which should be easier to operate. I want a lighter smoother trigger as well.

Now back to the original question... Is there a best buffer or any to avoid?

#13 ·
ok can someone show a picture of a factory buffer compared to recoil buffer?
Beth no picture handy, but the factory bolt buffer is a smooth round steel pin about 1/4" in diameter and about 1 1/4" long. It's fairly unremarkable.

The aftermarket recoil buffer replacement has the same dimensions, but is made of a hard rubber-like material. Each manufacturer has there own proprietary formulae.

Tymbrewolf, my VQ buffer has been through years of use with thousands of rounds fired without any sign of wear. The truth is all of the brands mentioned will work fine. I think the only ones that haven't worked well for people are the homemade ones.

#15 · (Edited)
On the other side of cost, if you were mass producing these improved parts, they would likely add very little to the cost of the gun. In some ways, I like having the goofy bolt release as a safety feature for a child. I also like the long hard trigger for little jumpy hands. As an adult that has been in the business of carrying a duty weapon for 25 years, there are some things that I have been accustomed to in a Glock pistol that I would like to have in my charger. I akin the bolt release to the slide release which should be easier to operate. I want a lighter smoother trigger as well.
Now back to the original question... Is there a best buffer or any to avoid?
Wolf, the Volquartsen Target Hammer is a drop-in item that costs about $35 and takes maybe 15-minutes to install. It will take your gritty & heavy factory 10/22 trigger down to about 3 lbs. and will be smooth as silk. It's well worth the effort. Power Custom and Kidd have similar items as well, but VQ is one of the most popular.

#22 ·
#23 ·
#25 ·
Thanks. I had bookmarked gunkings last night google shopping for free shipping. I might try the mobuffer.
The delrin material that the MoBuff is made of is the same as VQ, Tufferbuffer and others use in their product, so I don't see how you can go wrong. I know for sure that if you ever had an issue with the MoBuff, Kelly at MoRod would take care of it with no questions asked.

For the VQ Target Hammer Gunkings will do you right. They were out of the product when I went to get mine, so I used Midway. Midway is good, but sometimes they go nuts on their freight charges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.