10/22 stock magazine

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by questor, May 6, 2009.

1. questor

questor Member

Is the stock magazine of a new 10/22 plastic or steel?

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The one I have is heavy duty plastic with steel feed lips.

3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I think they have always been plastic with embedded steel lips. Some after market ones (large capacity ones in particular) are all plastic and have plastic lips... not good! Real Ruger 10/22 magazines work excellent whereas other non-factory mags may work or not. The neatest Ruger mags of all are the ones that are clear plastic.

The 10/22 mags are a lot more complicated than the average steel vertical column mags of other guns. Bill Ruger was fascinated by the Savage Model 99 that had a rotating mag and Ruger copied the concept if not the design in his first commercial rifle design, the 10/22. Note the external similarities between the Savage and the 10/22, too. In his youth Ruger shopped around to gun manufacturers and the government too, I think, a Savage Model 99 converted to automatic operation (full or semi ????), without success.

LDBennett

5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

They have a thick plastic body, a plastic rotating piece that rotates the bullets and steel lips.

Since before I bought my 10/22 I've always heard that the magazines with plastic lips are bad or unreliable. I've used a variety of brands of magazines with steel and plastic lips. The Butler Creek 25 round Hotlips with the red polymer feed lips have been more reliable than any others. The cheap Eagle 30 round plastic ones have been a very close second.

The steel ones have been a bit less reliable and the steel lips don't appear to always have a consistent angle.

Just my experience.

6. questor

questor Member

Thanks for the info...

7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My 10/22 is Volquartsenized with their barrel with its tight chamber. NONE of the high capacity magazine will work in my gun. Only the Ruger magazines will work with my tight chamber. I have a handful of them, clear and regular, and they work. Most of my discarded high capacity magazines will work in my friend's original, unmodified 10/22 just fine.

LDBennett