The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what happen to it? What was the reason it fell out of popularity?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If you had ever fired a 10 ga you would know why it is unpopular. I shot one once and thought my shoulder bone was broken.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
It's unnecessary for any North American game. Sort of like why the .50 BMG hasn't really caught on as a hunting round.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
According to Camden PD-they're good for elephants-someone turned in a "double barrel 10ga elephant shotgun"...........maybe the wackos ARE right and brain melting substances are put in our drinking water...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I believe it was introduced when steel shot became required for waterfowl... steel is a lousy load..... when steel went out, so did the 10 gauge....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Re: 10 Gauge

So to put it simply, the modern 12 gauge can do everything the 10 Gauge can do, and more, with better efficiency.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
12 ga 3.5" magnum has the same payload and energy as 10 ga 3.5" magnum. It fell outta play because it was being equalled by a cheaper to shoot offering.

And it kicks like a flippin mule..

·
TFFWPP President
14,294 Posts
So to put it simply, the modern 12 gauge can do everything the 10 Gauge can do, and more, with better efficiency.
almost. 10 gauge has a shorter shot string which means more pellets on target in a shorter amount of time
And it kicks like a flippin mule..
but if you use a Remington SP10 which weighs 12 1/2 pounds it feels the same as an 870 supermag 12. the extra weight of the gun helps keep me on target with the flock for follow-up shots. I spent a day using a friend's for a day this fall.

the way the honkers fly up here we need as much as we can get. some times we wish we could belt feed a 10

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My 10 gauge fits me well, has a nice recoil pad and shoots 3 1/2" magnum loads of #3 steel shot just like a 12 gauge. First 10 gauge I shot I was a skinny high school kid, broke my nose when I inadvertently fired both barrels at once and it knocked me on my caboose much to the amusement of the owner of the gun.

Fast forward 50 years and I discover that just like any other shotgun all 10 gauges are not equal. A Goose hunter doesn't need it because he gets the range and killing power he needs from a magnum load of 12 gauge and that is what killed the 10 for common field use but I will not give up mine. It's just to darn much fun to shoot.

That being said I readily admit to shooting a lot more 20 gauge then I do 12 gauge.....or 10 or 16 or .410. :D

·
Registered
18,746 Posts
strangely enough.. I still want a 10g one day.. though just not sure when.. :)

too bad I can't get an auto5 in 10g :)

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
I agree that the newer 12 gauge 3 1/2 inchers did the 10 gauge in. Old Grump, that was funny! Did the same thing with a Stevens 12 gauge side-by-side: touched off both barrels accidentally when I proofed it with 00 express buckshot. Knocked me on my keester and left one impressive black and blue shoulder. (I'm beginning to realize how silly I was when I was a kid)....

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Didn't know it wasn't popular anymore. :)

Still lots of 10ga shotguns still out in the fields up here during goose season. Tens were around long before steel shot was mandated by the USFWS (aka "the duck dudes").
BUT...there are a lot of 12ga super-mags around now too. Both of em are spendy to feed.

68c15 knows about the high-flyers we've got up here on the plains. That's where the 10ga shines. Heck, there are days I wouldn't mind a quad-8 on an anti-aircraft gimbal. :D
And nope, the newer 10ga semi-autos aren't any harder on the shoulder than a 12ga super-mag pump. Now the old H&R single-shots...they're a whole nuther story!!!
I didn't think the SP-10 weighs in at 12lb though...must be a wood stock version? My Browning Gold Light in synthetic is only 9.5 or so.

·
TFFWPP President
14,294 Posts
yes, 12.5 lbs. for the SP10
you almost need a cart to haul it to the blind. and if it breaks you can always use it as a fence post. LOL

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Wow...that's a lot of shotgun to lug around. I figgered it would've been lighter. Have never shouldered one, even in a store.

A friend of mine has a Mag-10 that is around the 11-12lb range too...that's what convinced me to go with a semi-auto 10ga. The Mag-10 is a big clumsy pig, and the Browning stock fit me a whole lot better so I spent a little more money than I wanted to on that thing.

·
TFFWPP President
14,294 Posts
I almost bought an Ithaca the other day. but a search on the net showing very slim parts availability convinced me no to.

A Mag 10 sounds good but I'm holding out for an SP10. lgs has one in synthetic camo for $800

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10's were common in the old west with sheriffs and stagecoach companies. Some even used 8's.
I didn't even know they had 8's

You learn something new everyday.:cool:

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Gauge size goes all the way to 2. The old 2 and 4 bores im certain very brutal to shoot and rarely used with shot. Craig Boddington did a spread about a year ago on the 4 bore. 8 ga is commonly used as a kiln gun load to blast the slag off the inside of fired kilns and is the largest shot shell, im aware of. the 2 4 and 6 bores were all used as rifles for dangerous game. Unless you reload the only way to get 8 ga loads is to buy Kiln loads with the double brass base. course if you hava an old double in 8 ga youl have to have the chamber modified with a kiln gun reamer to use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_bore

1 - 20 of 25 Posts