The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I said in my other trigger thread that I had a 10mm Taylors & Company 1911 coming. It's a Rock Island, to my understanding, branded as Taylors and Company. I picked it up today after work, shot a few rounds to check the function and got to work on the trigger. I replaced the hammer, disconnector and sear with Ed Brown units that I filed a bit and polished. Then, I replaced the mainspring with a 19 lb. unit and put in the Ed Brown leaf spring, which I tweaked for trigger return and sear pressure. I adjusted the trigger for overtravel while I was working on it too. I fit the safety to the new sear and started installing the Pachmayr grips I had fit for the extended mag well and the safety levers earlier last week on another RIA 1911. Here's the final product. I shot 5 rounds to test function since it was almost 10 PM here when I got done. It works great! :)

Now, to shoot some more this weekend!...

Factory...
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gas

After a bit of work...
Motor vehicle Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel

· Registered
7,908 Posts
I just went to a black friday sale at our local gun store with my buddy. He's lusting after a new S&W MP 10mm semi auto (like Biden wants to ban) and I handled it myself. Felt good in the hand. On sale for around $500.00.
If I didn't have a .41 magnum already I would be tempted to snag one. As far as I know this is the first MP in 10mm that S&W ever offered.

· GUNZILLA
9,294 Posts
I'm thinking of giving my brother my 10mm long slide from Springfield Armory for Christmas. I feel ashamed as I have received from him a new version colt python, a 9422 M and for thanksgiving he won a 22 Henry lever action which came home with me. Anyway I'm trying to get rid of all my centerfire guns and shoot 22's only.

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice acquisition, ponycar17. Is this your 1st 10mm? I'm a 10mm enthusiast and enjoy seeing others getting on board! I look forward to your range report.
Thanks! It's not. I have several others, including a carbine, but a 1911 has been on the list for a while. 😀

· Registered
3,973 Posts
I just finished reading a Ruger 1911 10mm thread on one of their sites that showed how some, actually many brands of 1911 10s were sometimes splitting at the barrel link. In it they showed how to see if yours was catching all that pressure and force by the barrel link and not against the frame. They said:
To determine whether or not the link is stopping the barrel instead of the frame's vertical impact surface do the following.
  1. The pistol is fully assembled but the slide stop is not locked in place
  2. Pull the slide stop out enough to rotate it downward so that the follower engagement lug is inside the trigger guard
  3. Push the slide stop pin back into the frame
  4. Press the muzzle hard against a solid object and hold it there
  5. The slide stop must move freely
Trigger Air gun Wood Shotgun Material property

I know this is not happening to all of them and that many here have had no problems. But many already seem to have. Some report just experiencing some reliability problems after a while, some frame issues, but this 10 sure experts alot of inertia into the gun due to velocity and a heavy projectile along with much greater pressure than the 1911 was designed for. I still remember reading that when Colt first offered this, many were holding their breath, wondering how they would survive. Some were shooting Underwood 180gr loads at 1350fps, which I think have now been backed down to 1300. Others were using something other than the hotter Underwoods. I wonder if it might be wise to save the hot loads for protection and shoot something milder for practice and enjoyment. I'm no Glock guy, but they seem to hold up better, along with maybe the Sigs.

Attachments

Reactions: ms6852

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just finished reading a Ruger 1911 10mm thread on one of their sites that showed how some, actually many brands of 1911 10s were sometimes splitting at the barrel link. In it they showed how to see if yours was catching all that pressure and force by the barrel link and not against the frame. They said:
To determine whether or not the link is stopping the barrel instead of the frame's vertical impact surface do the following.
  1. The pistol is fully assembled but the slide stop is not locked in place
  2. Pull the slide stop out enough to rotate it downward so that the follower engagement lug is inside the trigger guard
  3. Push the slide stop pin back into the frame
  4. Press the muzzle hard against a solid object and hold it there
  5. The slide stop must move freely
View attachment 286891
I know this is not happening to all of them and that many here have had no problems. But many already seem to have. Some report just experiencing some reliability problems after a while, some frame issues, but this 10 sure experts alot of inertia into the gun due to velocity and a heavy projectile along with much greater pressure than the 1911 was designed for. I still remember reading that when Colt first offered this, many were holding their breath, wondering how they would survive. Some were shooting Underwood 180gr loads at 1350fps, which I think have now been backed down to 1300. Others were using something other than the hotter Underwoods. I wonder if it might be wise to save the hot loads for protection and shoot something milder for practice and enjoyment. I'm no Glock guy, but they seem to hold up better, along with maybe the Sigs.
View attachment 286897
Thanks! I'll try this! I'd have to look at it, but I'm not sure if it applies. This one doesn't have a traditional barrel bushing, but a reversing lug. That may crack over time though. I do know that the recoil spring is much more stout than even my Springfield Loaded .45 and that one is tight. My 15 year old son struggled to even operate the slide on the 10 mm. He hasn't shot it yet. He refuses to. He's a snob and believes that only .45 ACP belongs in a 1911, because it's 'God's round'. 🤣

· Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm no Gluck guy, but the G20/G40 having heen around for so long and proven out, there's no doubt that they hold up well. Regarding the SIG, the venerable P220s are TANKS and also hold up well. As for the SIG XTEN newer offering, it's too early to say, but I'm confident it'll hang with the G20. We should keep an eye out for other yet unproven 10mms like the S&W M&P and the XDM.
I'm no Glock guy, but they seem to hold up better, along with maybe the Sigs

BTW, that was my SR1911-10 with the cracked lower lug in the post by Grizzly2.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm no Gluck guy, but the G20/G40 having heen around for so long and proven out, there's no doubt that they hold up well. Regarding the SIG, the venerable P220s are TANKS and also hold up well. As for the SIG XTEN newer offering, it's too early to say, but I'm confident it'll hang with the G20. We should keep an eye out for other yet unproven 10mms like the S&W M&P and the XDM.
i have a Springfield XDm10 4.5 OSP and can tell you positively that it will hang in there with the Glock offerings.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a Springfield XDm10 4.5 OSP and can tell you positively that it will hang in there with the Glock offerings. View attachment 286928
Nice! I wanted the 5.25" 10mm XDm , but apprently they just stopped making it. I've never been able to find it in a store or in stock online from a store. I've seen it on auction sites. I settled for the Sig P320 XTen and I really like it! My Glock 29 though... Not so much... :(

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Nice! I wanted the 5.25" 10mm XDm , but apprently they just stopped making it. I've never been able to find it in a store or in stock online from a store. I've seen it on auction sites. I settled for the Sig P320 XTen and I really like it! My Glock 29 though... Not so much... :(
A Glock 29 is my edc. If you don't already have some, get some Glock 20 magazines and XGrip adapters for a full size grip.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
They're both pretty good 10mms. I haven't decided yet which one I prefer. They both shoot well, but feel completely different. The SIG trigger is better, so maybe I'm staring to lean towards it. For me, compared to the Gluck20, these both feel and point sssoooo much better in the hand, and both have superior triggers and sights. I'm surprised that SA doesn't make the 5.25 model anymore, darned shame.
Wood Rectangle Everyday carry Automotive exterior Font

1 - 18 of 18 Posts