The Firearms Forum banner

112th Calvary "Rarin To Go" Pic of Vets Battle Damaged Jap Arisaka

2K views 9 replies 0 participants last post by  Insjim 
G
#1 ·
The Arisaka was brought home by my pop in WW2. Whats interesting is the bullet hole you see in it was from the M1 next to it. On a stormy day while on patrol with his squad on Luzon Rd, Manilla. Dad and his squad come across the enemy who were holding up in some thick brush "Eating their meal" Dads squad surrounded the enemy, at this time dads squad had dialed in with their weapons. the enemy spotted My dad, Dad then offered a surrender command and all hell broke loose. The enemy reached for their rifles as which time the squad opened fire killing 8....All 8 refused to surrender. Thus you can see where dad shot the Arisaka as the enemy was picking it up to position, This shot was fatal however several more shots were fired into the enemy for caution as he said it was common for them to play "possum" Dad was able to retain his M1 Garand in compliance with the ordinance officer as this officer was aware of the squads deeds. This is the story as it was told by Pops and I have no reason to doubt it. The tag on the M1 is from dad explaining this was his service rifle. The Arisaka has its bring home papers. I have many many items of interest from the 112th Calvary I beleive his motto was "Rarin To Go" Some documents suggest they may well have been known as "Baldy Force" I will post pics etc. as I get free time occasionally bringing the new material to the top. Many of the pics dad wrote the names of numerous soldiors hopefully this can help others on a Web search looking for some peace.

See less See more
G
#10 ·
Pop was in service from 1942 to 1957 so some pics are just random. He started career in pilots school when he received a activation letter " Calling on Air Cadets who have been formally trained to report to active duty" which was in July 1943.

Pics of Pops showing off his new gear I beleive basic training, 1917 rifle and gas mask rig.

Photograph Snapshot Photography Room Photographic paper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.