12 gauge from Hell

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by That_Guy!, Jan 15, 2019.

1. That_Guy!

That_Guy! Well-Known Member

Ok, big big update. Today I spoke with the engineer for Lehigh defense. If you look way back on this thread, you will see I have been trying to get a slug made by them for some time. Well, it's happening. Things have changed a little from the original plan. To recap, the original plan was for a 600 gr, all copper Xtreme defender. The slug that will be made is a 725gr, full brass Xtreme Penetrator (possibly with a hollow base). The reason being, at this weight and diameter, it has a pretty low SD. The XP design should help it penetrate deeper. The brass will also not deform as easily as the copper would and will be cheaper. The engineer did put to rest my concerns for excessive wear on the rifling. After these details were taken care of, the conversation turned to how we are going to handle the sale of the slugs. Lehigh is not used to random guys wanting something like this. They deal with ammunition manufacturers that plan in marketing their bullets. So this left us confused on how to approach this issue. I could have Lehigh sell this slug to me only. This allows me to market the bullet as my own amd sell to whomever I wanted. If you want bullets, you gotta go through me. Now, with the slugs being so expensive, and me having 3 kids and a full time job, I don't have the time, money, or resources to do something like that. So instead, I told Lehigh that slugs could be made available to anyone who wants them. So, if you want a 725gr 12 gauge slug from Lehigh defense, you can give them a call and get some for yourself. I do not know how they will do at standard velocities, but if you wanted to try, you can. Now, there will likely be a minimum of 1000 slugs to be able to order. So a group buy would be the best way to get your hands on them without having to drop a serious amount of cash. A lot of people have been following this project, and a lot of people have been a big help. It would be a great disservice to the cartridge, and to anyone who is interested in this if I selfishly made this slug exclusive only to me. Prices for the slug are not determined yet, I should have a quote by Friday. Once I get info, I will pass it along.

Broot, BlackEagle and Kweeksdraw like this.
  2. That_Guy!

Still waiting on the design draft and quote from Lehigh. Dave said I should have something to look at by middle of this week. As soon as I hear something I will post here. Also, a thought that I had. Loading this heavy of a slug in a normal 12 gauge could be hairy as there is no data out there. I believe it's possible to run a subsonic load for this but it would take experimenting. But one thought I had was loading this with a sabot for 10 gauge. Might be interesting there and would be supersonic. I shoot 1.75 oz factory slugs in my 10 gauge. These slugs will be 1.6 oz

CCHolderinMaine likes this.

3. That_Guy!

Hello gang, long time without posting. I hope everyone is getting through the rough times. Here is a big update for the cartridge. Lehigh defense fell through. I don't want to disparage them in any way, Dave was good to talk to and put up with my back and forth emails for a long time. At the end of the day though, there was a lot of communication and not a lot of action. I was given this companies info ( https://badlandsprecision.com/ )by a person on Facebook and decided to give them an email. Right away, Jason had me contact him on his cellphone to discuss what exactly I wanted and to get specs on the cartridge and my barrel ect. After our phone chat, the next day he sent me a design. I looked it over and found I could not get the slug to optimal seating depth. I told him what I wanted changed, and he sent in the next draft for me to approve, which I did. After I approved the drawing, he took payment the the following week. The slugs are officially being made. Here is the design. 4f1d307.png
    It looks a little goofy, but according to his software, it will be stable with my velocity and twist rate. The slugs are being made on a swiss lathe out of solid copper. Now, I am concerned about the copper causing a big leap in pressure. To account for this, I will be testing with way reduced loads first, and working up as pressure allows. Pretty much, I'm starting over, though it will be a lot easier this go around. The slugs should perform a lot better than what I'm currently using. I should have the slugs in a few weeks. Price per unit is $3.02 and they weigh 725 grains. I look forward to getting them in hand and doing a butt load of testing.

Broot, grcsat, sharps4590 and 2 others like this.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing the report.

That_Guy! and tedwitt like this.
  5. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    Broot, That_Guy! and tedwitt like this.
  6. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

That's cool!
    Is there some way you can make yourself a casting mold off one of these new slugs?
    After all they are yours, bought and paid for so there is no patent so you can do as you please.
    Pour some from lead and see how that goes.

BlackEagle and That_Guy! like this.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Wow....$3.00 a pop? That's worse than the $4 per case I paid for some brass to turn into something else...and I could use the brass again!

I've about half followed this project since it's inception on various boards. It has definitely been an interesting thread to follow. As an inveterate experimenter myself, though nothing at this level, I understand Guy's fascination and perseverance with this project. Well done sir!!!

8. That_Guy!

Thanks, this isn't the type of gun I would take out and shoot all day. I fire a maximum of 4 in one sitting and I'm done. So with how infrequent I shoot the thing, the $3 a shot isn't all that bad. I purchased 200 of them for my first order and will likely not have to order any for a good long while.

I won't be doing anything like that with these, but I do want to get a 1000 grain slug mold made and try it with lyman no 2 alloy.

9. That_Guy!

It's official, the production of the slugs starts tomorrow morning!

PicsArt_06-01-02.04.17.jpg

BlackEagle, tedwitt and Kweeksdraw like this.
  10. That_Guy!

Jason just sent me a picture of the first slug. Came out a little heavier than intended at 726.5 grains, but I'm good with that. The machining looks beautiful! Can't wait to get these guys in.

20200602_133814.jpg
    20200602_133823.jpg
    20200602_133754.jpg

Broot and BlackEagle like this.
  11. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

Very nice! Let us know how they shoot! ;)

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. That_Guy!

Holy crap! Jason just sent me this! He's already done!! 20200602_155644.jpg

BlackEagle likes this.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

At three bucks a pop, I think I would have finished quickly myself, what a payday!:p

14. That_Guy!

I know you're just joking, but really I would have been happy to pay anything to accomplish my goal. I've dreamed of this day for over a year! It's not often that my dreams become reality in this world lol

BlackEagle, SeeMor Guns and Grizzley1 like this.
  15. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't take a CNC lathe very long to turn 200 pieces that size. What takes the time is designing the part, writing the program, loading the tools, touching off the tools to teach the lathe where zero is, running the first article and then verifying it. After that it's load a couple of sticks of .750 copper round rod into the self feeder, set the number of times to repeat the program and hit the run button.

In a previous job I did the programming for our CNC turret presses, lasers and CNC press breaks.

I also got to play around some with a CNC lathe and a CNC mill.

BlackEagle, howlnmad and That_Guy! like this.