12 gauge reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by welsh95, Dec 20, 2015.

1. welsh95

welsh95 New Member

Hello, I am new to the hobby of casting and reloading ammo and had a few questions. The question I did have incase anyone were to know the answer was the shells I bought came pre primed and are high brass 2 3/4 inch. The wads I bought are CB1138-12, I have a lee 1oz slug casting mold and the primers are regular Winchester 209. From my reloading book it only shows 1 1/8oz shot weight with the wads and primers that match and it calls for Blue Dot smokeless powder. My only concern is because the slugs are only 1oz will the powder load be to much without the extra 1/8oz it calls for?

2. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum from Maine. I am newly introduced into the reloading worl so not much help, but better heads than mine will guide you right.

welsh95 likes this.

3. welsh95

welsh95 New Member

Thank you for the link, unfortunately I already have that sheet it came with my casting mold. The problem is what I have isn't on that specific sheet.

Thanks for the welcome! I am looking forward to increasing my knowledge and trying this out!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

5. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

I suggest you follow the slug recipe as it is written shotgun reloading is very unforgiving as their load pressures are under 12,000.

welsh95 likes this.
  6. welsh95

welsh95 New Member

Alright so if I follow a different one then I should buy different wads completely? I was hoping there was a way around that but if not I guess I will just have to buckle down and do it.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

You buy wads based on the slug, case and powder charge. You do not mix and match. You do not determine a powder charge for a slug using a shot recipe. Powder measures are also different using different brands of powder. For example, I reload 12 gauge for trap shooting. When I use American Select powder, the recipe calls for 30 grains of powder with 7/8 ounce of shot. Winchester AA Superhandicap calls for 18.9 grains of powder to propel the same 7/8 ounce load.

You need to find the recipe specifically for the case you are using and the weight of the slug. With those two knowns, the recipe will tell you primer, wad and powder.

Remember, you are literally making small explosive charges (bombs) reloading shot gun shells so you need to follow recipes accurately

SkeeterDope and Mule like this.
  8. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Use slug data, not shot data.

I'll take a look in my Lyman book tomorrow. I seem to remember seeing slug data in there. What shells and powder are you using

welsh95 likes this.
  9. welsh95

welsh95 New Member

Thank you for the help, the shells I bought and wads I bought are basically pointless because even in my reloading book it wont together. I am just writing them off as a loss and leaving it alone. The primers however I have Winchester 209, I have no powder because locally no gun shop, mom and pop, or big box carriers it. I have personally went, emailed, and called at least 50 different stores within an hour and a half drive and no one carries it because of the high priced hazmat fee. The mold I have is 1oz slug which is what I want to reload so basically to make it simple whatever I can use for a 1oz slug with Winchester 209 primers I will use. I just need the details on what shell, wad, and powder to specifically use because apparently what I was going to do before I would've blown myself up or my guns.

10. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

You have data it came with your slug mold. Hs 6 and Universal are pretty easy to come by at least round here.

11. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to reload 12 ga. With flechettes? If so, where would you find the recipe for that load?

12. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

You can try google and you-tube. Don't blow yourself up.