The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever heard of a 7/8oz 1600 ft/sec 12g load? a guy I know who at times is know to exaggerate things claims to know how to make some.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Not real sure about your question. I do know of store bought loads of 1oz slugs that run 1600fps. Doves are easy to kill, but hard to hit! Just use the Dove/Quail loads form your local gun store. If I can't find the load in my reloading manuals, then I don't mess with it!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Yes. hes simply using a 1 oz slug load and instead of a slug hes loading with a wad and shot.

I don't get the uber fast 'dove' loads. Doves are freakin easy to kill. You can actually thump them in the head hard enough to kill them,. You don't need anything faster than 1200 fps. in fact my favored load for doves and sporting clays is 1 1/8 oz at 1145 fps.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
you don't need a low charge to reach those velocities, you just need Longshot powder! that stuff is amazing. 1-1/4oz loads even at almost 1400-1500fps! what's not to love there.

my 'heavy field loads' are usually 1-1/8oz of #8's and longshot, moving at around 1400fps or so. does the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts