The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going squirrel hunting tomorrow and I am going to have to get me more ammo so I am wanting to know what shot size should I get thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Normally I use 36gr HP. :)

If I'm shotgunning for squirrel or cottontails I prefer 7-1/2 shot but 8 shot works just fine too.

·
Garandaholic
9,513 Posts
I am going squirrel hunting tomorrow and I am going to have to get me more ammo so I am wanting to know what shot size should I get thanks
A 12 gauge for squirrels? My best guess would be any shot size, just take the shells and throw them at the squirrel. I think if you actually shoot any 12 gauge at a squirrel, all you'll have is a mess, regardless of shot size. Just my .02, I'm not the great white squirrel hunter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hunting in the Mississippi river bottom and it's very tall trees and we are going with dogs I went last Fri and we all was using 12GA and I think 6 shot steel and I had open choke and I didn't get one so we are going to a wma which I can use lead on so I am going to use my browning a5 for the first time in years. I like my 20GA but I really want to use my browning it was my grandfather and since I had it I ain't hunted with it so I want to use it thanks

·
Registered
672 Posts
My Dad used to carry his 12 with 8 shot, if us kids had a runner going and kept missing with the .22's, Dad would spot the nest he was headed for and either stop him before he got to the nest, or if he made it, stand directly under the nest and lift him right out of it with the 12, seen it work many times, and not torn up as you would imagine, not that many pellets would go through the nest and actually hit the squirrel, just enough to get him out and fall, or at least get him out and moving again for a final .22 shot,

Shot many squirrels and cottontails with a 20g, when they are on the run you are not going to put too many pellets into them, meat damage is negligable, what's better, no game with a .22, or game with a few pellet holes?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
As a kid when about all we had was a 12ga. to hunt with, I used #4, #5 and #6 shot
all the time.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
#8's will take care of them just fine.

I much prefer a .22 LR though, don't have to pick shot out!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I've been hunting squirrels my whole life, and I only use #4 shoot when shooting the shot gun. It will kill them further, and most of the shot will go clean thru the squirrel, what shoot don't go thru is easy to find, and remove. Not a lot of shot in the meat to pick out, and none to bite on when you eat them. The best choke for those tall trees is a full choke, it holds the shot together longer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As a kid when about all we had was a 12ga. to hunt with, I used #4, #5 and #6 shot
all the time.
That is what I use with my 12 gauge and high brass shells to boot.

Never had an issue and with one shot the treerats fall. I've seen it take multiple shots with 7 1/2-8 shot to down a squirrel from atop an oak tree and then it is peppered with small shot.

Hit one with the 4,5, or 6, especially fox squirrels, and you'll knock them down & dead. There will be less holes and shot to pick out of them too with the larger shot and the larger shot is easier to spot pick out of the hide/flesh.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
hmmm... guess that makes sense using larger shot, good input there fellas. Less holes and easier to find if they don't go through, sounds better than picking out 30 #8 pellets!

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i've shot plenty with 6.. though have shot them with 8.. the lighter the shot the mor eyou have to pick out.. heavier shot goes thru as carver mentioned.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Don't generally use a shot gun but sometimes I don't have much choice. #8 has worked well for me in both 20 and 12 gauge. I find heavier shot penetrates to well, I get rid most of the #8 just by skinning the squirrel.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
i wonder what 9 would do?
make them really angry if they are 40 yards away. if they are 20 yards away picture a mixture of ground meat and led. Even a #9 shot chewed will result in a cracked tooth.

When I reloaded I used #5 lead and it killed everything. Buying from the store I would go with 6's. Not too big, not too small, good for all little ground critters, squirrel, skunk, possum, rabbit, democrats etc. I suggest modied choke.

take some pics, especially after you skin them.
good hunting.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
First of all don't use steel shot to hunt squirrels with second #6 shot is the shot size to use just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to use steel for everything because it only non toxic shot it a national refuge is why I can only use steel or non toxic thanks

G

·
I use 8 shot because my reflexes are getting slower, I will say though you will need to carry a stick to finish a few of them off. My dog takes care of that for me...He's been bitten a few times, now he bites the head clean off and leaves me the rest, that's he reward. If he catches them on his own then I let him have them and he expects nothing less. I hunt thick woods with 8 shot and other 6. works for me and not a problem with pellets in meat. Works for me Any shot works. Heck I heard you can clean, gut and skin with Double 00 LOL

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
As a kid hunting in an old growth forest I used a Long Tom ( Stevens ) and No# 6 shot. In fact 90 percent of the guys used a 12 gauge shotgun. A lot of grays went into the stew pot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts