The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 30" Barrel,16 gauge single shot shot gun to refinish/rebuild.
The serial number is 6235.
Manufacture declaration:
Iver Johnson's
Arm's & Cycle Works
(Canada)LTD Montreal
Made in Cobourg
I am most interested in the date of manufacture as well as any other information available. Thank You

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here is the generally accepted serial date range for the Iver Johnson Champion Shotgun. I believe it originated from Bill Goforth, who was the resident expert of Iver Johnson’s and H&R. He pointed out that is it not know if they were manufactured in the US and shipped to Canada to be stamped.

All numbers= 1909-1919
1 letter suffix= 1920-1929
2 letters suffix= 1930-1939
All letters= 1940-1956
Unknown= 1971-1975

Bill Goforth admitted he did not know if the Canadian stamped Champions fell into that date range.

That being said, the stampings on yours are different than those made between 1909-1919, and I don't believe yours is that old. Your stock appears to be a later production but the forend and snap plate assembly appear to be the 4 7/8" early style.

US Made Champions from 1909-1929 or so were stamped on left side of frame with:

Iver Johnson
Arms & Cycle Works
Fitchburg, MASS USA
Champion

The Champion stamping looks similar to the one used in the mid production, 1940's - 1950's. I also don't believe they case hardened the frames until that era as well. You may not be able to get a better date of manufacture as these were not well documented by Iver Johnson.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the generally accepted serial date range for the Iver Johnson Champion Shotgun. I believe it originated from Bill Goforth, who was the resident expert of Iver Johnson’s and H&R. He pointed out that is it not know if they were manufactured in the US and shipped to Canada to be stamped.

All numbers= 1909-1919
1 letter suffix= 1920-1929
2 letters suffix= 1930-1939
All letters= 1940-1956
Unknown= 1971-1975

Bill Goforth admitted he did not know if the Canadian stamped Champions fell into that date range.

That being said, the stampings on yours are different than those made between 1909-1919, and I don't believe yours is that old. Your stock appears to be a later production but the forend and snap plate assembly appear to be the 4 7/8" early style.

US Made Champions from 1909-1929 or so were stamped on left side of frame with:

Iver Johnson
Arms & Cycle Works
Fitchburg, MASS USA
Champion

The Champion stamping looks similar to the one used in the mid production, 1940's - 1950's. I also don't believe they case hardened the frames until that era as well. You may not be able to get a better date of manufacture as these were not well documented by Iver Johnson.
Thanks ever so much for the information.
The made in Canada intrigued me ,I was not aware that Iver Johnson manufactured in Ontario let alone Canada,which is why i purchased the gun.The date shall remain a mystery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have recently purchased a 30" Barrel,16 gauge single shot shot gun to refinish/rebuild.
The serial number is 6235.
Manufacture declaration:
Iver Johnson's
Arm's & Cycle Works
(Canada)LTD Montreal
Made in Cobourg
I am most interested in the date of manufacture as well as any other information available. Thank You
Thanks ever so much for the information.
The made in Canada intrigued me ,I was not aware that Iver Johnson manufactured in Ontario let alone Canada,which is why i purchased the gun.The date shall remain a mystery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You asked for the value. As a shooter - not much. 16 ga isn't very popular. As a collectible, I don't know - but don't drop your day job. How is the bore?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question hopefully one of y'all guys can help me with. I am trying to repair my dads Iver Johnson Champion16 gauge. I am needing a new forearm, with all the metal already attached. I can not for the life of me find the part. I was wondering would a 12 gauge forearm work or would it have to be the 16 gauge. If so, does anyone know where I can possibly order one? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
That shotgun was built by the Cooey Co. for Iver Johnson which was later bought out by Winchester.

The Cooey Co. produced 11,000,000 firearms from the day they opened until the day they closed their doors.

Even though Iver Johnson has never reached the high end of collectable shotguns, I have been told that the Iver Johnson 12gage sxs made by Cooey is one of the best made of the Iver Johnson line and I think they are right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts