16 Gauge Shell Holder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Firpo, May 17, 2018.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As some of you may remember I recently purchased a gun that launched me into areas of reloading I had never before ventured. Part of that included my learning how to reload blackpowder shotgun shells. Making my own tools to accomplish the task was pretty darn fun but having set off a primer while seating it in the shell, I have caved into a more modern approach. That said, for a while now I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a 16 gauge shell holder that would allow me to use my little priming press rather than a large brass rod with a bevel hollowed in one end and a mallet.

Kakakakakakakabooom

Like you’ve never seen a shell holder before. Haha
    None the less here’s a picture of how it will all work. Now I need to empty a few to try it out. :D

60C881D5-7551-46BF-BB1F-B9C10916FA2F.jpeg

Kweeksdraw and orion340 like this.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got both 12 and 16 gauge shellholders. Got 'em from RCBS.

3. Firpo

Pretty darn slick. This one is from CH4D

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I bet yours cost more than mine.

I don't remember what mine cost - it's been more than ten years - but I bet yours was more.

CH4D is PROUD of their stuff.

Firpo likes this.
  5. Firpo

Yes they are. That said, you really don’t want to hear what I paid for my 8X72r Sauer & Sohns die set.

crystalphoto likes this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

CH-4D has good reason to be proud of their stuff as most of it is custom. Their prices must not be hurting them any, they're still a year behind on anything custom and their custom stuff is a lot cheaper than RCBS. Dave made up a set of 8.7 X 55R dies for me for $110.00, only set he ever made according to him and first time he'd heard of the cartridge. They were more than twice that from RCBS. No place else has the selection of dies they offer.

Well done Firpo! Not only will you not set off another primer tapping it in, you'll prime a lot faster as well. BTW, your brass is entirely too clean....you need to get them a little more scrungy looking by shooting them...more......:D

Firpo likes this.