The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a combination lock hanging on a gate outside for several years and it's had its better days. I had to spray some PB Blaster on it and let it soak just to get the lock to open. Even then, it took a tap or two from a hammer to get the lock to release. I almost never shoot 20 grain .17 HMR rounds, but I have some in FMJ and wondered if it would penetrate the lock. I hung the lock on some chicken wire on my target stand and put one round sort of low on the lock, but I hit it. That little FMJ round is pretty wicked. It dumped the internals of the lock out the back and I only found the one disk piece in the photos. It was just for fun, but I'm impressed.

The shot was from a 21" bull barrel Savage 93R17 GV at about 30 yards. It's not great shooting. It started raining on me after I hung the lock and I had to retreat to the porch, where I shot under cover through the pretty heavy rain. That's the reason for the wet lock that I retrieved after the rain eased up. Luckily, I compensated just enough for the drop from the 20 grainer. :)

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
The shot was from a 21" bull barrel Savage 93R17 GV at about 30 yards. It's not great shooting. It started raining on me after I hung the lock and I had to retreat to the porch, where I shot under cover through the pretty heavy rain. That's the reason for the wet lock that I retrieved after the rain eased up. Luckily, I compensated just enough for the drop from the 20 grainer. :)
That is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I am completely sold on the .17HMR round. I think it is greatly underestimated. I have a wide range of ammo for mine. (See "My NEF Ultra rifles," thread.) I have quite a few 20 gr. "Gamepoint" rounds. It is a wicked little round. I have been impressed at every turn on mine.

Seems you are discovering the same thing. 👍

I plan on bringing my .17HMR to the TFF TN Get together. (For those who have not shot one.) A laser beam. Would be an awesome close in Sniper round. Head shots all day long.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is pretty impressive.
Thanks! :)

Seems you are discovering the same thing. 👍
I've known it for about 15 years I guess. I think that's about when I bought the 93R17. It might have been a little later than that. I don't remember. My uncle got me sold on the caliber because he was an early adopter shortly after it came out. I think his first .17 was a Savage with the old style trigger, pre-Accutrigger.

I've just recently gotten interested again and got the A17 out to optimize its scope a little. I have a new stock coming for it tomorrow. The A17 and Ruger Precision Rimfire have been money pits for me recently. The caliber is just awesome, but 20 grainers aren't something that I shoot much. I got some more Gamepoint rounds a while back and haven't shot them yet. I'll post pictures of the A17 when it's finished and I get it sighted in again.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Gonna try and make the TN TFF gathering ponycar17?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I've had a combination lock hanging on a gate outside for several years and it's had its better days. I had to spray some PB Blaster on it and let it soak just to get the lock to open. Even then, it took a tap or two from a hammer to get the lock to release. I almost never shoot 20 grain .17 HMR rounds, but I have some in FMJ and wondered if it would penetrate the lock. I hung the lock on some chicken wire on my target stand and put one round sort of low on the lock, but I hit it. That little FMJ round is pretty wicked. It dumped the internals of the lock out the back and I only found the one disk piece in the photos. It was just for fun, but I'm impressed.

View attachment 255350
View attachment 255351
View attachment 255352
View attachment 255354
Take that lock back to ACE hardware and demand a full refund.....it failed a torture test.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I can’t understand how this guy could justify a $2,000 lock to destroy it. Also. Ran over a Desert Eagle with a tank ! That’s just one more why I have to ask. One more question. How much money can be made from doing stuff like this from Youtube ? As for this guy. I’ve watched a few of his videos and they all are cringe worthy to watch, but the one video that he really rankled me was when this guy and a friend shot a T/C Contender and not understanding how the firearm function and had a AD labeling the brand as dangerous. This is the type of person who try to deep fry a frozen turkey on a wood deck and set their house on fire and blame the deep fryer.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I can’t understand how this guy could justify a $2,000 lock to destroy it. Also. Ran over a Desert Eagle with a tank ! That’s just one more why I have to ask. One more question. How much money can be made from doing stuff like this from Youtube ? As for this guy. I’ve watched a few of his videos and they all are cringe worthy to watch, but the one video that he really rankled me was when this guy and a friend shot a T/C Contender and not understanding how the firearm function and had a AD labeling the brand as dangerous. This is the type of person who try to deep fry a frozen turkey on a wood deck and set their house on fire and blame the deep fryer.
I looked up his net worth once and it was several million. Whatever works. He wouldn't make that as a vet.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Texas Aggie.......splains all
I have a friend who's an A&M grad and lives in Houston. He named his son Kyle after Kyle Field.

It's not just Aggie fans though. Sadly, I have a cousin who named his son Brice, after Williams Brice Stadium where the South Carolina Gamecocks play. I'm a diehard Clemson Tigers fan and Clemson grad, but I'm just not going to name my kid after a stadium. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Locks are only to keep the honest, honest. A criminal with enough time & equipment can get into anything.
It's true! We once had what I can only presume to be a member of the now-defunct meth heads on mopeds gang down the road break into our security mailbox... on a Sunday night. Sure enough, they broke the lock. I guess they never heard that deal about mail not getting delivered on Sundays though. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
"Only keep honest people honest." Ain't that the truth. We had a thread about how secure is your Gun Safe onetime in that forum not to be named. I commented, give me a couple battery powered tools, (a drill, a sawzall w/a couple metal cutting blades and a grinder with a cutting wheel.) and I could be in your safe in under half an hour.

Reactions: HighlandsPatriot

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Absolutely. Its America and he can do what he wants but he definitely doesn’t portray the gun community as responsible. He definitely promotes the “hold my .beer...watch this” persona the left loves to see.
It’s his right to do this. Don’t know if it’s his shtick or if that’s the real him. It appears to pay well in this day when grown men will watch shows like Ridiculousness for hours on end. It’s a show on MTV that is extremely popular with a surprising percentage of men under 50. Kinda like that show all the idiots watched in Idiocracy, “Ow my [email protected]:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd love a 17hmr rifle...do have a 17hmr revolver.
I don't have one. A friend of mine has the Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR. I've never shot it. It would be interesting to own one. I'd be curious how much velocity it has from the shorter barrel. I've never looked into that.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I don't have one. A friend of mine has the Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR. I've never shot it. It would be interesting to own one. I'd be curious how much velocity it has from the shorter barrel. I've never looked into that.
From a 9”barrel between 2100 and 2200 depending on load.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts