The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You might want to give a few more details so people know exactly what you are going to be using it for and what you want opinions on.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Probably a great caliber for rats (IE. western 'Sagerats) Rockchucks/Marmots and maybe jackrabbits but I would never consider it for anything bigger, or at any greater range than maybe 200 yards. I do not own one but have shot a friends and that little .17 bullet seems to run out of 'gas' fairly quickly.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I'been looking at one as well. A friend bought a new Savage 93 in .22 Mag
and brought it down for me to dial the scope in for him...I fell in love with the
rifle.
So, I'm at the LGS here a while back and there was the Savage 93 in 17HMR.
Stilll thinking of getting it....

Attachments

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
folks around here use the .17 HMR for lots of little critters and pest control. Mosly they use them to kill moles when they pop their heads up. They are also very good for hunting squirrels for meat and hides. These rifles were designed for real small pests and game. A good sized raccoon would generally simply suffer if hit with a .17, .22's are better for raccoons and foxes but I'll use my .38 revolver for those if I have a choice. When I have to shoot those, they are usually at quite close range. I don't go out at night though without my 30-30, wolves are the problem here and I need to protect my livestock. If a coyote, raccoon or fox is trying to get in the chicken coop then it will get a 30-30 round.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I've yet to actually test a 17HMR out, so I'm still doing the research myself. With the Savage 93 in .22 MAG, I did get to have a bit of a go with it.
Tree rat season was still in, so done both head shots and body shots with the Mag..
With the head shots, took'em plum off and could put them in the freezer..body shots,..
I'll stick with the .22lr head shots.
So, I'm still waiting to give the 17HMR a go before buying one.

Mainly the reson I am wanting one (other than the fact it's the Savage, freefloated-bull barrel and accu-trigger, laminate thumb-hole stock, two front swivel studs, one for a sling and the other for a Harris Bi-pod) is for Coyote huntin'.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am impressed with the 17HMR. At 2500 FPS it screams towards its destination. Wind will effect the bullet,but it is also a flat shooting cartridge. Within 165 yards it will take out Fox and Coyotes, But you need to know the wind conditions...and what your rifle is capable of. Point of information... it takes about .12 seconds for this bullet to go 100 yards... Wow! Cliff

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I am impressed with the 17HMR. At 2500 FPS it screams towards its destination. Wind will effect the bullet,but it is also a flat shooting cartridge. Within 165 yards it will take out Fox and Coyotes, But you need to know the wind conditions...and what your rifle is capable of. Point of information... it takes about .12 seconds for this bullet to go 100 yards... Wow! Cliff
Thanks for the info...good to hear.;)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
...sure "itchin'" to get a 93!
One thing to consider, or what is in my thoughts, once the scope is zeroed in,
it's a hunting rifle and not a "plinker" like the .22lr. (so, less ammo to buy)

Good excuse to go ahead and buy one...lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you looked at the new Wincheswter 17 super mag. They claim it well match the performance of the 22 hornet. from the info I got they have a 20gr bullet that well make 3000fps It might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had 17 hmr fat brl Savage it shot well.............I will probably try one of the super 17's when they come available.........The big 3,000 out of a rf thats crankin.......My first groundhog rifle mossberg chuckster, in 22 mag. To this day I'm still partial to the 22mag. When the super gets here I could change my mind...................Redworm

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
back when i bought my first 17hmr i had to wait two months before ammo was available.check out utube on hog hunting with a 17 hmr and watch what happens when you see a little puff of dust come from behind the ear.they drop like rocks.although caliber is important its more the shooter than the gun.i also am lucky that i purchased extra ammo once it was available,i have at least twenty or thirty boxes stockpiled. old semperfi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.