The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother gave me a Marlin 795(I think) 17 Mach2. He thought it was a 17 HMR and was disgusted with the small round.
I really like this round, it seems to be hotter than a 22LR. I would love to have a pistol chambered in this round, but to my knowledge, no one's making one. Does anyone know of any pistols being made to fire 17Mach2's?
What's your opinion on this round and does anyone have any firearms in this round?

·
Super Moderator
47,168 Posts
I have a Ruger 10/22 that has a replacement barrel in 17Mach2. A couple of years ago I saw a Taurus revolver in 17Mach2 in a CDNN catalog. I called them immediately to order one and they had already sold out. I have not seen one since and would buy one if available.

I have been told that there was some sort of lock-up problems inherent with the 17mach2 rounds and that is why no one has one available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lock-up problems, now that you mention it. My rifle has a 7 shot clip and after I start the second clip it will jam after 10 or 12 shots. One time a round got jammed and the bullet was shoved back into the cartridge. I thought it was because of the brand of ammo(CCI). It's the only brand available around here.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
17HM2 does not have a very good reputation in semi-auto guns. The pressures are much different from 22LR. If the bolt does not fully close you get blow outs of the case which to say the least is not safe at all. For a while people were dropping a 17HM2 barrel for the Ruger bolt gun onto the Ruger 10/22 with all kinds of problems from excessive headspace (blowouts), insufficient bolt mass, wrong recoil springs. It got so bad 17HM2 barrel makers would not specify their bolt barrel for use on the 10/22 even though it would easily fit on the receiver of the 10/22. Since that time some people have offered better parts including a heavy bolt with the proper headspace (not the loose headspace 22LR allows) and service to do the adaption. I guess some got them to work (???). But it all points out that the 17HM2 semi-auto gun needs more attention to design than a 22LR gun.

I have a CZ varmint in 17HM2 which was a bit of a disappointment compared to all the hype Hornady and CCI put out on the 17HM2 cartridge accuracy. I find it no more accurate than a good 22LR bolt gun. The ammo is very expensive compared to good 22LR ammo. The ammo is often hard to find as it is not very popular. If you hunt then the extra power may be useful but I found that accuracy above and beyond a good 22LR rifle shooting good ammo (not expensive) was just not there.

LDBennett

·
Super Moderator
47,168 Posts
SBGO is the only oil I use on every gun. I use it to lubricate my press, too.

When I mentioned lock-up problems, I was talking about with a revolver. I read or heard it somewhere but cannot remember the particulars on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.