The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Initially, I created this post asking for people to help me identify it. Well, a guy on in Flintlock Era facebook group helped.

This is a Model 1796 British Heavy Dragoon Flintlock. By the proofs on the barrel, it was made between 1796 & 1812.

It was privately commissioned, which means, it was commissioned by a British officer. If a gun was commissioned by the crown, it would have had the Crown-GB mark (King George's mark). The crown commissioned weapons to be issued to enlisted me. Officers bought their own. You will see some guns with fancy scroll work done, or with an ornate brass butt covering the bottom of the stock handle, or a nice brass cap over the end of the ramrod. Those were extras you could buy to customize your pistol. The one has two basic brass upgrades (trigger guard and Lock backing on the left side of the gun), but it definitely not one of the fancy ones.

This gun would have probably been bought by a young British Office on his way to the Napoleonic War. After that, who knows? War of 1812, maybe? Who knows...but it got into America somehow.

The gun was made by Barnett Gunsmithing. Their name is on the Lock.

It was a .54 caliber. The inside diameter mics to .67. The extra space was to account for the wad (small piece of cloth

After a gun was finished, it went to a proofing house to make sure it was up to standards. This gun has 2 proof marks: a Crown-V, and a Crown-CP.

The Crown-V on the barrel mean "View". That means the proofer inspected the barrel inside and out. It "looked" correct. It looked correctly made.

The Crown-CP on the barrel meant "Proved" (Crown Proved). Proved meant that it was loaded and fired 5 consecutive times without any problems.

• IMG_9362.JPG
    IMG_9368.JPG
    IMG_9369.JPG
    IMG_9370.JPG
    IMG_9371.JPG
    IMG_9374.JPG
    IMG_9375.JPG
    IMG_9377.JPG
    IMG_9378.JPG
    IMG_9379.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG
IMG_9381.JPG