The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Marlin 917v 17hmr a few months back. I have tried very sort of ammo there is, and it likes the cci 20gr hollow point the best. I have been looking for scopes, and I bought a BSA 6-14x40. I love the scope, but it is set up for 17 grain bullets, I have been trying to find the 20 grain turits, but not been sucsesfull. I was wondering if you guys could help me find them, or recomend something else.

I love my 17hmr, and all I do is small game hunting, and shoot targets, so it was a good choice for me, and if anyone elses is thinking of one, I highly recomend it. I tried a savage, and a remington, but I like my marlin the bset.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when I dial up the scope from one hundred yard to two hundred I am still about half inch low, should I just dial a little highr and remember that, or is there another product that would be better.
I also want to start shooting this gun in some competition, we have a shooting range here, and they hold a competition once a month. I have only been usein a scope for the last year, I alweays used open sights, but due to some eye problems that is no longer an option.

so you guys out there that have been useing scopes for years, I need your help, I know what a scope is, and what it is suposed to do, but after that, I am ignorant. thanks

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
a nice 4 power rifle scope would be good for many things but depends on what exactly you are looking to achieve with this gun. 200yds IMO is way too far for this round, it craps out very badly at about 125yds. That scope is fine though until you're ready for an upgrade maybe down the road. I zero mine at either 50 or 100yds, usually 100 it's flat enough shooting at that range to not really need much adjusting. Just get used to your scope and study up on MOA, I'm guessing it has 1/4" adjustments.

excellent 100yd varmint gun though and for sure is stupid accurate!

I have the Marlin also, mine loves remington poly tips the best for accuracy. It's a real tackdriver.

But you'll never shoot the thing very good unless you wear a dreadlock hat like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vxf5kHd4a8

:D

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
nice!

I've just got an old weaver K4 on mine, it does all I need.

But for competition or just for kicks, a turret/dial setup and calibrated for .17 would be sweet!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to shoot some competetion at two hundred yards open sights, but that is not an option anymore, I have shot my 17 at three hundred yards, but my local range is 200. my scope does have the dial up turets but they are for the 17 grain, and I shoot the 20 grain. can I buy new turets? or just remember where I have to turn it to be on target. the scope is a sweet 17 4-12x40

·
Super Moderator
41,407 Posts
The 6-18X40 Sweet 17 scope that I just took off the HMR that I sold has a turret that has a setting for both the 17 grain and 20 grain bullets.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
man, I'm gonna have to invest in a 17 scope, that is sweet. Didn't even know this animal existed, ha!

not sure how you were able to hit anything at 300yds but pretty cool if ya did! I tried 230 yds once, could hardly stay on a large piece of butcher block paper, terrible. Light wind conditions but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I shoot clay birds off of the wire fence at 200 yards like nothing. They are fun little guns.

·
Banned
284 Posts
a nice 4 power rifle scope would be good for many things but depends on what exactly you are looking to achieve with this gun. 200yds IMO is way too far for this round, it craps out very badly at about 125yds. That scope is fine though until you're ready for an upgrade maybe down the road. I zero mine at either 50 or 100yds, usually 100 it's flat enough shooting at that range to not really need much adjusting. Just get used to your scope and study up on MOA, I'm guessing it has 1/4" adjustments.

excellent 100yd varmint gun though and for sure is stupid accurate!

I have the Marlin also, mine loves remington poly tips the best for accuracy. It's a real tackdriver.

But you'll never shoot the thing very good unless you wear a dreadlock hat like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vxf5kHd4a8

:D
I agree. I use a Bushnell Custom .22 3X7. If you try and go way out you'll need a bit of luck. .17's can be frustrating if you have unrealistic expectations based on ballistics that can be truly difficult to understand. Many of us have already learned this the hard way.
Yeah, it's a really fun caliber. But it is not all it was hyped up to be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I shoot mine at 300 yards. I shot a cyote at 310 yards in the chest, it dropped. I shoot the CCI 20gr hollow point

1 - 12 of 12 Posts